Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Broken 2-Cycle Connector Rod Without Bearing/Cylinder Failure.

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 21:42

A Broken 2-Cycle Connector Rod Without Bearing/Cylinder Failure. How does this happen at Wide Open Throttle (WOT) W/O MIX or with mix proper mix? I enjoy these experiences form Curb Projects and the good parts to donate. I h/n and w/n put one of the finds on the market vs donating to friends that have the time for low to no returns. I do enjoy the spare parts I need and experimenting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Broken 2-Cycle Connector Rod Without Bearing/Cylinder Failu

Could be from over speeding. Those entry level 'inverted' style engines are built for price, materials and tolerances are suspect.

o

When I was in the business, we would call that
"Bad Broke"

o

no big deal remove the jug piston/connecting rod from donated engine and crank it up. Fix them all the time, if I have the same model engine I just remove the piston/connecting rod and install one out of another engine. Usually they start loosing needle bearings. I found them in mufflers or falling out on the ground. Especically 31CC craftsmans with the spark plug on the bottom. As far as why it broke? unless you know the complete history could be material flaw that finely showed up?

o

I like rcmoser idea of parting these trimmers back together if you have the needed spare parts. I stripped an old commercial Robin #NBO2T for its straight shaft (and some screws) with a drive rod vs a cable. I spared the other trimmer since it appears to only need another connector rod. It also appeared easy to replace the rod with the jug/case cast as one with a side cover to access the needed repair. I'll give it to some person or shop that has parts for that model. It was two experiences, # 1 to see the jug/case cast as one, # 2 to see the broken connector rod w/o other damage. Good luck With Some Experiments/Cleaning/Clearing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here