Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?

Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 19, 09 at 22:10

I bought this around 1984 and have never seen another one since then, not on ebay either. Except for where I bought it, I haven't found a dealer who saw one either

It is an amazing machine. I used it to dig trenches, break up piles of hardened topsoil and cultivate. You can't hurt the thing.

Does anybody know the story about why they were taken off the market almost as soon as they were introduced? Could it be the liability from the exposed front tines?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?

Probably poor "eye appeal" is what killed it! It might work really well, but poor design has killed off plenty of good machinery, over the past 50 years or so! Especially those "wimpy" wheels! A complete redesign of the machine would have been of great help for it! Look at Ford Motor Company's car with the Horse-collar grille------Can't remember the name, but it killed the sales and it was dropped!

o

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 6:23

I can't say there's anything on the machine that's chintzey. The wheels are welded spoke with bearings and don't have to support much stress.

o

Well since Im from troy NY and mycousins both worked at garden Way in the 80's I do have a good answer to your question.First off I also have a cultivator plus from 1983 and it runs great ,can't kill those Tecumseh engines on them .The story behind this cultivator or as I look at it a small tiller.
In the early 80's Garden Way was trying to look to get into the lower end of the tiller market.The pony model was still a thought and garden Way wnated an entry level tiller unit that small garden owners could afford to buy.It still had to be built as tough as a Troy Bilt but not as expensive as the bigger powered units.They didn't want to call it a tiller as for the confusion that could happen by people looking to buy a regular tiller model.The name was used as a way of still saying it could do the job but not calling it a tiller.The only made a few hundred of these units.
Several issues arose when trying to market the unit.First the looks.It wasnt very appealing to the eyes ,this was done on purpose tfarden Way didn't want anyone to mistake this as a regular tiller to a side belt system with controls on the handle was used .It was still painted red and had all the listings on the handles like a troy Bilt even had the year of manufacturing on it and the address,by the way I grew up 10 blocks from the factory in Troy NY
Most outlets that sold troy bilt tillers were not on board with this unit cause of the look and the name on it Cultivator Plus
Troy Bilt did have the pony model in the works and was getting ready to make that unit.

The bicycle wheels were used to try to appeal to the possibly female buyers
Garden Way felt that this gave it a easy to handle appearence and that females would go for that.
As for why there was no cover over the tines it had to do for cleaning purposes
When garden Way was trying out the unit they found that if a person going into a flower bed or small garden with grass etc growing in it they would clogg up rather easily and the needed to open to clean
The other great part of the cultivator I like is the way the wheels go up under the unit when not tilling
it is great to set yur gage for tilling stop lift up on the front and then move the unit without cutting up your lawn
Thus unit has beenn in my family for 20 some yeard and now I have it with me and I use it for my garden,the only thing I had to do was get a new belt for it
Special order,had it made and change the spark plug

o

Sun, May 2, 10 at 19:50

Wow, only a few hundred units made! I should be taking better care of it for when the Smithsonian calls me.

You can see at the base of the handlebars that I cut and changed the angle of the handlebars. Even though I'm over 6', when this was used to dig trenches, the handlebars were much too high and uncomfortable for me.

I used it once to dig a 30" deep trench, about 30' long to plant asparagus. My soil is stony clay, being on the side of a mountain, and this machine really took abuse hammering away at rocks stuck in clay. I even dug 14'deep and 10' wide into the side of the mountain to put in a ground cellar. All the heavy rocks bent the steel chain case where it's bolted together from hitting it.

I have to say though, except for oil changes, I've never put a cent into it.

Our garden has been downsized to maybe 1000 sq. ft, down from 3500 sq. ft. And now that it's smaller and surrounded by a bamboo fence,(deer problems), my wife loves to use it to till between the rows and around the edges. It's very light and easy to maneuver.

o

my cousin was telling me before that was the target audience of these type machines .He said that garden Way was trying to get the low end market and attract a female buyer .I have apx a 1800 sq ft garden .very rocky hard soil ,those tines seem to go thru anything,you gotta admit troy bilt makes some good machines .The newer ones though aren't as good ,MTD cheapened the line .I have seraach so many places trying to find another unit like mine but boy only you and a gut from NJ have one,and his doesn't run

o

Wow, didn't know how rare this tiller was/is. I have one my father bought for my grandfather in the mid 80s. It sat unused for many years and I have it running again. Let me tell you, this thing is a work horse. Got to make sure I keep it running for many years to come! Nice to find out some more background of this tiller.

o

I don't know why they calledit a cultivaotr my cousin said it was for marketing purposes but I agree it does a more than adeuqate job than some small tillers on the market today.I can tell you this when Garden Way made these units they made them to last like all the other tillers they built.
I can tell ya now I wouldn't trade this one for the world ,the funny part is that Garden Way stop making these and they should try to bring em back va MTD

o

thanks for the original question that generated the informative history. My dad drug a unit just like the one pictured out of a neighbors barn and got it started. I took it and it has sat in my shed for 5 years. I got it out this evening and hope to get it started and weed my corn rows with it tomorrow. Any other information and any tricks to getting it started would be appreciated. Andy

o

Sat, Jul 3, 10 at 7:18

If the gas dried up in the carburetor and produced varnish, you probably won't get it started. Otherwise, it will start easily.

Just check the engine oil and up front near the tines, you'll see an oil fill plug and a screw below it. Add 30W oil in the fill hole until it starts to drain out of the screw hole below it. I lay the tiller to the side, a little, to get the oil in from the can.

o

Try the troy bilt group on yahoo groups. Lots and Lots of info there. Fespo

o

I can tell you all about the Cultivator plus. I worked many years in the Troy Bilt factory and was in the new products marketing group when the cultivator was launched. The cultivator was never aimed at being a low end small tiller. It was a secondary product. They first made 100 prototypes with chain cases from Merry front end tillers and 2 hp Briggs & Stratton engines - I'm still using #003. We subsequently made 7000 production units. I designed the assembly line in the factory for this machine. It was a one man operation. The big wheels were used because it is not a self propelled machine and they are good in rough terrain and for going over landscape timbers etc. I tried making a front shield over the tines, but it didn't work well because you couldn't see the blades work or till as deeply. It was called the Cultivator Plus because it was designed to take a line of attachments. We sold 400 snow thrower attachments for this machine - made in conjunction with Gilson Bros. I still have one of these on my production unit. I also still have an edger attachment. I developed a sprayer attachment, but we never sold them. I also still have a complete new chain case assembly and some extra control cables. Happy Gardening!

o

Wed, Nov 10, 10 at 16:24

Great info! I also have a brand new snowthrower attachment for it.

My wife likes to use it in the garden for weed control. It's easier to maneuver than the Horse. Both are from about 1983 and bought new.

My chain case is bent too, from rocks falling on it when I dug into the side of the mountain to build a root cellar.

One flaw in the design was using an oil fill plug at the top of the chain case. The metal was too thin for that plug and it stripped easily.

Otherwise, you can see that I altered the handles, because even at 6 foot tall, the handles were too high in the lowest position for me to trench or even till.

Great machine!

o

Tiller / Bay: Hell You two should partner up . Til in R&D and Bay in R&R lol . Great Post Guys very interesting Dialogue and Historical Facts . I think I'll have another Coffee and see if I missed any other Historical Threads :)

o

I found an old ad in Popular Mechanics for the Troy-Bilt Cultivator Plus (also sold as Roto Ette)

Charlie

Cultivator Plus

o

Saw this Cultivator Plus on EBay. Seller said it has sat for 25 years unused in the garage.

CH

Here is a link that might be useful: Cultivator Plus (Like New)

o

chaywood where listed on ebay

o

Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 5:51

Can't find it on ebay, but I do see that the tines are slightly bent, so it WAS used and repainted. It would be a bargain at a few hundred for anybody looking for one.

o

I have plow horse its single wheel tractor cultivator has briggs with gear reduction. Man bought it made one pass in garden left at fence end row stay there for year before someone put in shelder backin 1980's I got 4 years ago. Cleanup cranks runs great ever three months run it 1 hour keep going. But looking for troy cultivator has more uses.

o

Ebay item # 150515240122 Listing has ended but, do a search for that number. Went real cheap... Even had snow blower attatchment.

Tines look right, they "sweep back" on mine also.

CH

o

Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 17:38

Somebody bought it back in '83 and got sold on the snowblower too. Darn good price. I don't know of anything comparable in work ability and quality.

o

my great uncle had one of these, he bought the snowblower attachment also, after prob 20 yrs i pulled it out of the shed to see if the old girl would start, i cleaned the carb, replaced the fuel line as a precaution and with a lil love the baby fired right up, we used it to till up the garden at the end of summer, i put on the snowblower this afternoon, i had the book and misplaced it but i dont think i have the belt routed right or the one that was on the snowblower was stretched i had to route it the belt around the pulley on the blower around the idler pulley/handle controls and motor pulley, by squeezing handle it stops the blower... it might not be right but it works, i didnt relize that these things were so rare, ill have to take real good care of it....

o
RE: Starting the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?

I have a Troy-Bilt Cultivator Plus I was wondering about the "KEY" to start it. The one I have has no key so I am asking if there is someway to start it without tearing it apart and rewiring.
This one is in great shape even has the snow blower attachment.
Any help will be appreciated.

o

Wed, Feb 2, 11 at 19:36

No key required. Just lift up the throttle lever on the engine and start it.

o

I just bought one of these from an estate sale the owner had owned a feed and seed store and most had bought this when it came out, we got it started right away ,it ran good, for a while, we put 30 w oil in down near the chain chamber--my brother in law who knows much more about these things that I , put 90 w in the other oil chamber, I got it out yesterday on 2 days after buying it and it running perfectly, it stated up just fine and ran for about 3 minutes m it cut off and it will not start back---any of you got any suggestions----since I do not have an owners manual, what kind of oil do you put in it------I was really excited about tilling up my little garden space, but it will not start now
thanks
Louie in SC

o

Tue, Mar 22, 11 at 19:23

Ran for 3 minutes? First thought is that the fuel valve is shut off. 30W goes in the engine and the transmission/chaincase.

o

Hello to all I have one of these Cultivator Plus units and LOVE it. Use it today has to be one of the BEST UNIT EVER MADE. Also found one that i'm trying to buy but it has had the motor change over to briggs and not in as good of shape but i need another one lol.

o

I have one that is leaking oil by the tines at the chain case. Any one know where to get a maunual, and or parts?

o

Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 21:39

I have my owner's manual on pdf but need your email address to send it. Email me.

o

I would like a copy of the cultivator plus manual. I just got one and rebuilt(cleaned) the carburator and it fired right up. I needed a smaller tiller for raised bed gardening and I think this will do the trick

o

I bought one of these off craigs-list a couple yrs. ago. I was needing a carburetor and can't come up with a motor part number.

I will have to take pics. of the tine modification I did. I took some bigger wider tines off an old Montgomery wards tiller and bolted them on + lengthened the rear axle and widened the rear wheel base. Then I got tired of all the dirt slinging up on the motor and took some plastic off a 55gal, barrel and created a tine-mud-guard...The motor can handle the bigger tines with NO problem... Just need to fix the carb for this season....

o

Fri, May 6, 11 at 20:26

I'll have to look at my motor and get the specs.

o

Sat, May 7, 11 at 15:25

My engine's carb is a Mod. H30 with a spec. of 35000P. The website says you need a 632208 carb.

o
RE:: Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus?

Sat, May 7, 11 at 15:28

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=TEC-632208&dn=CASERIES_071632208-CA

Using that link, the replacement carb is $99, however, if you have the original carb, there are very easy to rebuild and I would certainly rebuild it/clean it.

o

A good replacement for that engine is harbour Freight engine name Greyhound its 6 1/2 horse engine with 3/4 keyed shaft 3/16 key. I just installed one on bronco tiller I lost reverse by installing engine but I deal with that problem its easy to turn around while in forward with wheels spinning. Engine cost for same engine at harbor freight range from 99.00 to 129.00 this not much over carburetor cost. This is good engine to keep in closet one I just used was bought in Jan. 2009. I keep all old engines as there this thing about keeping original equipment original.

o

Sun, May 8, 11 at 6:00

Gator, you're thinking of the Horse. This tiller uses a 3HP motor and there is no reverse.

o

Thanks.....but mine looks like either of these.
Acording to parts tree the 632230 and 632615 have identical parts.

Here is what my carb looks like..
$41.00 inc. shipping
http://www.ioffer.com/i/TECUMSEH-CARBURETOR-632615-FITS-H30-H50-189418564

o

Over Troy Bilt equipment there many that Greyhound replace with just few bolts to buy mounting and one in end crankshaft.
I do realize this is 6 1/2 horse engine it will replace 2 1/2 engine to 8 hp engine on any equipment like snow blowers chippers Tiller Go Karts that has common 3/4 keyed shaft.

o

Rotary number comes from rotary corporation about 3 miles my home its good buy for your engine.

o

My modifications...Lengthened the axle and put on bigger tines from an old Montgomery Wards tiller,the guard is made from plastic from a 55gal drum.....
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Tue, May 10, 11 at 12:03

The guard is interesting but it takes away the sight aspect of cultivating.

o

Here's an obscure maintenance tip for Cultivator Plus owners having a Tecumseh engine.

The engine has a spring-loaded fuel metering adjustment screw on the bottom of the carburetor in the center of the fuel bowl. The screw threads into a brass bushing which holds the bowl on the carburetor. That brass bushing has two very tiny fuel feed holes drilled in it that are no bigger than the period at the end of this sentence. One hole is in the middle of the threads, and the other hole is in a groove separating upper and lower threaded sections. One hole is drilled at an upward angle. Those holes are notorious for gumming up with old fuel, which causes the engine to not run properly. The holes may be cleared with a very small sewing needle and flushed with carburetor cleaner.

If your engine does not run properly, try removing the brass bushing and clearing those holes. And, as a matter of note, the spring-loaded fuel metering adjustment screw must be unscrewed from the brass bushing so that the holes may be cleared.

Good Luck!

o

Yea I just rebuild my carb...
Here is a verry good video on this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eud7UkiVhEQ

o

Hello guys,
I just bought one of these tillers (cultivators?) this past weekend and I'm trying to do some research for parts. The first person I talked to about this actually put me in contact with employees of Troy-Bilt from the 80's, which was pretty cool. They sent me some interesting information on it, although I'm still looking for some parts, specifically a wheel, as one of mine is kinda broken, although it still works, and I'd like to replace it. I noticed some of the links in the posts above, so I'll start with them unless you can tell a better place to look. Thanks! Jeff

o

If they are 16 inch wheels this may help but center in you wheel may fit are not. repeated tack welds and water cool metal should work wire welder.

Here is a link that might be useful: 16 inch wheel

o

Hi,

I've got what appears to be an unused cultivator plus. The tines are unused and it also has the snowblower attachment which looks unused or maybe used just a few times. The tire rubber has no dirt or markings on it. Treads look new. The muffler is slightly discolored.

I should check it out. I am planning to check the oil put some gas in it and fire it up. Does anybody have any suggestions for anything else I should do before trying to start it?

I thought about posting it on ebay but I am wondering if that makes sense or if there is a better venue. I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

Any thoughts?

o

Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 5:35

If you put gas in it and it fires up, I'd run it until it's out of gas just to preserve the carburetor. It's probably 30 years old, so I'd change the oil first before starting it.

Craigs list probably better than ebay. Too much shipping cost by truck.

o

bouldergreg ; I like to have a chance at that cultivator if don't mind I put in house I'm going to try email you through garden web my email mess up here at web.

o

Hello,
I have a cultivator plus and need a copy of the owner's manual if anyone has it on pdf and could email it.

thank you

o

hi,

i have the virtually unused one mentioned above

i also have the manual but just in printed form

if you let me know what you want i could copy it and mail it to you

o

I just scored one of these jewels,It was given to me,Ye haw, and I need to know what the base setting for the adjustment screws on the carb. I had it running last night and wow what a tool.

o

I'm new to the site. I have an '84 Cultivator Plus which starts on first pull, but carb is gummed up from old gas. This unit has the original spark plug & air filter still in great condition. Probably only ran a few hours total. I also have the owners manuel & parts catalog. I have pics available. I'm located in St. Louis. Any interest out there? THX.........hope I posted this correctly, It's all new to me!!

o

I'm interested in Cultivator how can contact you.

Thanks

o

You're right, your e-mail doesn't work.
Try this one nkrupp@sbcglobal.net

THX,
Norm

o

I just picked one of these tillers up yesterday, I am excited to try it, I have a troy bilt horse, this appears to be much different. It appears to be only used a little bit over all these years, great condition. What is the value of these tillers? After reading the posts if doesnt sound like many around.

David

o

there is a business in New York state that sells them via Ebay for $275, they won't ship.

o

Have been a member of Garden Web for years, but just found this discussion on the TB cultivator plus. I also have owned one for a short time. My question is that on the belt cover. It states " Troy Bilt Roto Ette". What, if any was the difference. Mine is dated 10/86. Also, the owners manual I have for the Cultivator Plus states that there is a "check screw" just below the oil fill plug on the chain case. Mine does not have the check screw.- How does one check for the correct oil level?

o

You check at fill plug tilt over to side so add fluid keep standing back straight until oil comes out plug install plug so keep level above bottom of plug hole. As you tighten plug you will push gasket out from under plug so keep eye as tighten don't tare gasket. The tilt over just so can add fluid don't lay machine on its side.

o

h Troy Bilt Roto Ette _ its marking sign as you find in link history tell 2 companies formed Troy Bilt 1 was Ette tiller and other Roto tiller Inc. are something close to that.

Here is a link that might be useful: History on tillers

o

Thank you "gator rider2" for the info. Much appreciated.

o

Thank you "gator rider2" for the info. Much appreciated.

o

How was awoodman able to post multiple picture attachments in his post in this list of threads or were they separated w/o text? Thanks!!

Any owners of the Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus? clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by awoodman none (My Page) on Tue, May 10, 11 at 10:32

o

Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 21:36

You need a service like Photobucket.com to post pics on this site. Copy and paste the IMG link from photobucket.

o

OK, I have to blow off some steam first!! I started refurbishing a 1984 Troy-Bilt Cultivator Plus I was lucky enough to come across. Was working on the the thing in my garage this past weekend and somebody must have needed it worse than me and lit off with it. Wasn't even inside the house for 2-3 minutes!!
Anyway, the local police could only take down what I could describe for them. One of them quipped it might have been a "Metal Scrapper"!! (These guys come around with their pick-ups every so often looking for old metal scrap or anything out of metal.) I said they had to know what they were taking because all that was left were some bolts!
Well I'm looking to buy another one - it doesn't have to run or look pretty but most of the basic machine would be nice to have. (Like I said - I was starting to restore the one I had.)
Anybody interested in selling me theirs or know of anybody who is willing to help me with their contacts to find another one would be great. I paid cash for the last one so I'm willing to deal with that thought again. Thanks to everybody for any suggestions or help.

OldDad27 Down - but not out!!!

o

Hello to all on the GardenWeb Site.
I was able to acquire another Troy-Bilt Cultivator Plus recently. She's in good shape! Even came with Owner's Manual, Parts list & Engine manual! Great find from Craig's List in new Jersey. Had some assistance from fellow member to get it up to my area in Western NY. Feeling much better now. Going to watch over this one like a Bengal Tiger with a fresh kill!! OldDad27

o

They were 7400 made in 1983 and 1984 you did good finding one congrats. The rear wheels are 14" I just found some but plastic not positive if axle size would like to leave link here so be found by many.

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible replacement for troybilt cultivator wheel

o
Possible replacement for Troy-Bilt Cultivator Wheels

Hello gator_rider2,
The original wheels I have on my cultivator are Semi-pneumatic, 16" Diameter, Spoke Style Wheels with a 5/8" Diameter Bore x 2-7/16 " Width Center Hub.
Overstockwheels.com has a 16 X 1.75 Plastic Spoke Wheel, Diamond Tread, 5/8 Ball Bearing x 2-7/16" Symmetrical Hub. Don't know what the load rating is but may be okay as a replacement/substitute. Price isn't too bad either. I haven't looked into replacing mine right now but I'm sure there are sources for these original wheels too.
OldDad27

o

Snow-thrower attachment for the Cultivator Plus. Anyone out there not using or thinking about selling their attachment? - Please let me know - I'm thinking of rebuilding /restoring a used attachment. Any information or leads to get one would be appreciated. Thanks!

o

I have a mint condition cultivator plus with all of the attachments, manuals, catolouges, and even bill of sale! The tiller is in mint condition ( paint still on tines), the snow blower has blew little to no snow, the edger attachment is still in the box in the plastic and so is the furrow attachment ( yes, they did make a furrow attachment for it!) runs great, no oil leaks, wheels are still shiny, original air filter! Guy i bought it off of said he barely used it, ( mabye10 hours on it!)

o

Photo all that be real good on this site but need to be permanent supported for future viewing.. Real nice find congratulation.

o

Hi spercer1234 and others,
I have a Cultivator Plus and love it! My wife and I live in Honduras. We started farming to compliment our needs here. We want another Cultivator Plus and attachments.
Spercer, We weren't sure if you were selling but we would like photos of the edger and furrow attachment. We also heard there was a sprayer attachment. If you or anyone could send pictures we might be able to have one made here.
If anyone has a Cultivator Plus and wants to sell it we would likevand opportunity to buy it. If it does not work we are still interested.

o

I've got one of these in mint condition (like another person described, basically sat in the garage for 25 years). The tiller was never used; the snow thrower attachment used a few times).

I'd like to sell it but want it to go to someone who knows what it is and appreciates it.

I've got more pictures but just starting the process.

o

I have a Troy-bilt Cultivator Plus, I am wanting to sell it. I have disassembled it and placed it in a box. Everything ran perfect prior to me taking it apart. I was just trying to save space. If you have any interest contact me and make an offer. I also have the original manual for it.

David, wrestle_dude@yahoo.com

o

I could be interested. I do have several questions about the unit. Are you the original owner? How long has it been sitting? Any accessories with it? Where is your general location? Shipping Costs? (Possible pick-up if not too far.) Sight unseen, I don't know how much $$ I could comfortably offer at this time. Good to know you have the Original Owner's Manual though. Think about those questions and get back to me. Thanks for the opportunity.

OldDad27

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here