Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docrobbs

Mini tiller Stihl vs Mantis

DocRobbs
18 years ago

I just went to a local power equipment store to see a Mantis Tiller. I was pretty sure I wanted one but I don't like buying something I haven't seen. I had looked at the Honda and some other cheaper ones but wasn't impressed.

Well They didn't have any left and I was pretty disappointed. The owner of the store then showed me a Stihl MM55. Looked very impressive. I love my Stihl chainsaw and weeder

This thing is really built like a tank. weighs a bit over 24 lbs. depending on which tines you get Has similar tines to the Mantis (or you can get "Bolo" tines) and was priced $30 cheaper ($299 vs 329).

In the end he showed me an older Mantis that was in getting repaired. It seems that must have been an older machine cause the engine looked a smidge different from the online photo. The thing that impressed me was the Mantis really seemed cheap. Only a little lighter but no real oomph behind it. Thin Chrome handle bars vs. thick aluminium, little transmission vs beefy transmission.

I'm trying to check out the Stihl but can't get much info or reviews on them. Is this just an old Mantis and thus not the same or is this machine really cheaply made?

Thoughts anyone?

Comments (28)

• canguy
    18 years ago

We sell both and they have stood up very well. The Mantis is more popular because it has more of a traditional tiller look to it. It also uses the Echo or Honda engine which are more durable than the Stihl consumer 2 stroke. However, most people would never put enough hours on a tiller to notice the difference

• johnCT
    18 years ago

I have the Mantis with the Honda 4 stroke engine and I can tell you it DOES have "Oomph"! Amazing what that little thing can do.

• nod702
    18 years ago

A few years ago i bought the Troy Bilt version of the Mantis and like it very well. I think i paid around $300 for it. I use it primarly for weed control between the garden rows. I think it came with a side walk edger attatchment that i've never used. I've had good service from it. I think this is the fourth season i've used it.

• lynnt
    18 years ago

Is the Stihl two-stroke or 4-stroke? Can't tell from the website.

Did you have to pay extra for the depth gauge? My Honda FG100 whose tranny just died really needed that to provide rear support when I parked it mid-session.

And now that you have it, how do you like it?

Thanks,

LynnT

• mmlawn
    18 years ago

just to answer one of your questions the stihl is a 2-stroke

• DocRobbs
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sorry for the delay but have been working so much didn't get to play on the "puter". Didn't have much to say either.

Yup, the Stihl is a 2 stroke. For me it's easier to mix fuel than keep track when everything needs oil changes.

I finally got out when it was't raining.

Tilled up an area about 16' x 20' in a raised bed. Took it to about 4 inches deep in about 30 minutes. Was far easier and faster than last year with the larger 6HP Craftsman rear tined tiller. This think is pretty aggressive and does require some modest effort to control. I really like the handles and controls. This engine is easier to start than my other Stihls, which were not bad.

I don't know if the Mantis would be easier to conrol. Since nothing ever is as easy as the TV spots I doubt it.

I just saw a Stihl on Ebay for $100. For that I might have gone for it. I also noted the 2006 Mantis boasts handels more like the Stihl, Lots of those on Ebay.

• dranny
    18 years ago

Mantis is very easy to control and extremely lightweight. I disagree with poster who said it's not good for large areas - our gardens, one veggies and the other flowers, are both about 40'x 30' and we have used it extensively. I've had my Mantis for about four years and it runs great and digs like crazy. I have used it to dig deep holes for large plants, general tilling, and root break-ups (it does clog then). Mantis has cut my workload by about 4/5ths, maybe more.

• ddmia
    18 years ago

Just starting to research the Mantis and bumped into this thread on it and the Stihl. Thought I wanted to get the Mantis, but now will have to take a look at the Stihl. One question about it - are the tines that come with it comperable to the Mantis? I read the info on the optional Bolo and BF Pick which don't mean I thing to me right now, but was hoping the ones that came with it would be inline with the Mantis.

About the Mantis. I emailed the on-line Mantis website and asked them about the starting of it as on ebay I noticed a 7230 which had a FastStart tiller. Mantis said "I don't think anything will start as nicely as the FastStart tiller. We no longer offer the option but still have a conversion kit to turn a plain old engine into the FastStart". (Guess all that's available now is the 7225). Anyway that statement now has me worried. I need something that is easy to start. I have a Craftsman edger and I can never start it. Being left handed and an aging woman, here and there I run into problems. I was checking into the Craftsman one that has the incredipull system also.

Any thoughts on the tines and the easy of starting would be appreciated.

• maineman
    18 years ago

ddmia,

As a group, 4-cycle engines are easier to start than 2-cycle engines. The 2-cycle engines weigh less for a given horsepower and for chain saws the light weight is very important. For tillers it is much less so because the weight of the tiller is born by the soil and not by you. In fact, heavier weight can help the tiller dig in better.

Mantis offers several engine options, including electric and 4-cycle as well as 2-cycle. I am a big fan of Stihl chain saws, but I wouldn't be interested in a 2-cycle tiller, even if it was a Stihl. For small jobs I might be interested in an electric Mantis. I personally use and prefer a big mid-tined Merry Tiller, but if I were in the market for a small tiller in the Mantis class, I would take a serious look at the Red Ox tiller. It has a good 4-cycle Honda engine and combines the advantages of a small tiller with the capabilities of a larger tiller.

MM

• bbriggs
    18 years ago

ddmia, my Mantis starts well for me just like the best of my chain saws and better than my Stihl MS200 chain saw which is designed to start easily. My wife can start it, which says something. When cold it's 2 pulls with choke until it tries to start and a third pull with choke off. When warm its one pull. The engine is relatively small so the pulls are relatively easy. I have no experience with the FastStart but it is readily available so might be well worth the $45 or so. I think you should try one out at a dealer (or my house if you're close to Ames/Boone).

I viewed both the Stihl video and Mantis video and was disappointed with the Stihl version, why didn't they show that tiller doing real work? I didn't see anything in the Mantis version that was misleading, the machine can do all that stuff pretty easily. They didn't show, however, how the machine can seriously bounce when it hits something firm (not dangerous but wouldn't look good in a video) nor how vines and flexible roots can wind around the tines and require removal. These relatively minor problems I'm sure plague all the small tillers.

My 2 cents is don't pass up the tried and true Mantis unless you really think you need a feature of another machine (an important 'feature' for some might be a local service dealer).

Maineman, I generally can't find flaw in your logic and I guess I don't now, but the 4-cycle Honda engine is fairly complex and not as durable as one would hope (so I understand, I'm not willing to take the risk myself). The 2-cycle engines are pretty simple and reliable, plus there's no oil to change! That last factor is pretty huge for me. The little gas tillers work where a cord won't reach and don't have a cord to drag around or till through. Some years ago I didn't see any use for such a small tiller either, but a friend dropped by with one and I was sold. Just like the Mantis video suggests, it turns out they are really handy for a bunch of varied tasks.

By the way, Maineman, my SC183 is churning out yards of chips on the weekends and my fencelines and grove are looking cleaner. I'm sharpening my knives more often now, about every 8 hours, so it more hungrily gobbles up the bigger stuff. More appetite = more pleasure.

• canguy
    18 years ago

I am a 2 cycle person but find the Honda to be a good motor on the mini-tillers. Be sure to follow the oil change recommendations though, I think it is every 10 hours and CHECK THE OIL EVERY TIME YOU START IT. It only holds 100ml, I forget what that is in oz.

• tahclep
    18 years ago

I have to agree with canguy, I really like 2 cycle engines too but Honda engines are pretty dog gone hard to beat also.

• jimtnc
    18 years ago

I had a Troybilt 2-cycle cultivator I used for about 4 years also, much like the Mantis. I used it for many things successfully, including bouncing it on hardpan and getting it tied up in vines like bbriggs mentioned.

Maybe I bounced it once or twice too often, because I blew out the gears, and the 2 replacement gears cost as much as a brand new Troybilt. I've got my BIL working on it, but not expecting too much. I might just by another one if he can't fix it. Pretty handy piece of OPE.

• lil_rhody
    17 years ago

I'm looking at buying a small Mantis cultivator but not sure if the 4 cycle tiller (model 7261, Honda 31cc engine) is better than the 2 cycle (model 7225, I believe Echo engine).

I know there are differences in weight and power. The 2 cycle needs oil and gas mixed while the 4 cycle needs the oil changed every 10 hours of use. The 4 stroke is suppose to be quieter.
    The price difference is $100 higher for the 4 stroke.
    Aside from those basic qualities, has anyone had experience w/ either one? Which in your opinion would be more reliable and trouble free?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

• jimtnc
    17 years ago

I really could have used that Troybilt or Mantis (2 or 4-cyc) or anything the last 2 w/e's digging all those holes for all those shrubbery plants we've been putting in. I'm not done with the planting yet, so I may buy another one mini-tiller yet... the week is still young.

• maineman
    17 years ago

bbriggs,

"...SC183 is churning out yards of chips on the weekends and my fencelines and grove are looking cleaner."

I've got to envy you the raw processing power of the SC183. Our situation here on about 4 acres, over 2.5 acres of which is still wooded, wouldn't justify the investment in a SC183. I notice MacKissic has a new "intermediate" shredder chipper between the 12PT series and the SC183 called the SC150.

MM

• possie
    17 years ago

I was trying to decide whether to buy a Mantis or a Stihl mini tiller. Finally, I decided to buy a Stihl, not because I didn't like the Mantis - my friend has one and I've seen how it does a great job - but because here in Portugal I have a local service dealer. That clinched it.
    Now, the real reason I'm writing is because bbrigs wrote:
    "how vines and flexible roots can wind around the tines and require removal"
    Has anybody a solution for that? I have a lot of weeds, vines, roots, you name it, and every 5 minutes I have to stop the engine.
    Thanks

• vegan1
    17 years ago

Year and a half ago I started planning a big garden project with lots of clay soil. Don't like the smell or noise of gas powered machines. I also only weigh about 110lb. Got the electric Mantis. It has been truly amazing. I tilled the clay, adding hundreds of pounds of Gardener and Bloome compost. I then planted about 130 trees and shrubs. In addition to all the tilling it was great for digging the big planting holes. I had it going on average 6-7 hours per day for about 15 days. It came with a free edger, which I use to ease the sod removal process. I also got the dethatching and aerating attachements. They are surprisingly efficient. I also got these two little things you put over the axle to address the issue of weeds wraping around the axle. Used with and without. They really helped. I clean it well after each use and each spring you are to add lithium grease to the transmission. Takes a couple of minutes. I have no experience with the Stihl, but would not hesitate to recommend the electric Mantis.

• neeky71
    17 years ago

This year, I asked for a tiller for my birthday. We went to the shop to see a Mantis, whcih I was very interested in. But then the Stihl MM55 "Yard Boss" caught my eye. The thing that really made it stand out is the rear wheels- sold as a wheel kit online but it was already attached on the one I bought. So you no longer have to depend on your brute strength for guiding the tiller but you have the wheels that help you guide it and make a nice balance to drive the depth of your tines. Yes, it was a 2-stroke but I tried it at the store and had no problems starting it up- I weigh 150 lbs and am 6 months pregnant so I judge that to be a pretty easy start up.

• ronnywil
    17 years ago

I went to a local lawn equipment dealer to buy a Mantis, saw the Stihl and bought it. Mine also came with the rear wheels which are adjustable to set the desired angle of the tiller. It is quick starting and has very similar tines to the Mantis. It just seemed more stable than the Mantis. Just wish the gas tank was bigger.
    As far as vines getting tangled in tines, you can sharpen the tines so that they will cut the vines instead of pulling them. They will wear quicker but cutting them is better than spending the time unwrapping them.

• bob_earthlink_net
    12 years ago

I am looking at buying a mini tiller. I have rented a Mantis a couple of times and I was pleased with the results. I went to a rental place that sells Mantis and found out that they have stopped making the 2 cycle tiller and the replacement parts due to the higher emissions of a 2 cycle engine (thank you California). They said that they have stocked up on parts, but when they run out??? Until the 4 cycle comes down in price, I am willing to rent a tiller for $75 a year and have someone else deal with servicing and replacement parts. Just some food for thought.

• chazz11bravo
    11 years ago

Mantis over stihl most difinitely. Better motor, lighter, amazing tilling capability for a 20+ cc tiller. I have an 2000 model that I bought used for 65.00 from an old lady. I didnt have a garage at the time an stored it under a tarp. I've had for 5 years never failed to start once. I didn't take good care of it. I never did any kind of maintenance. I abused this thing. It tore up virgin ground with no issues. It spit potato size rocks out. Unfornately my garden is a "rock garden". It's like some one planted potatoe's that petrified. It tilled a 30 by 50 garden it like it was nothing. After I ran it for ours the the transmission severely over heating from neglect and the 50th rock that jammed in the tines (I would try to throttle it to try dislodge it) The bearings gave out. It still runs like a champ but it has 10% of the power it did have. you can find a rebuilt trans for around 75.00.

• trickyputt
    8 years ago

Bearings are one of the reasons all my gear is stihl. Stainless steel parts that dont rust and seize also. Its bad in a way if you like to buy new things now and then. Mostly they hold up, but the polymer shells get matte finished from years of abrasive use. The carbs are sensitive to alchohol in the fuel. I run 93 octane, because I want as much energy and life from the machine and the least from me. I have the stihl tiller, weed eater, chain saw, both small and backpack blowers, pole saw which is 4cycle, 14" demolition saw, and the auger. I dont find myself doing much more with them than regular maintainance, though the alcohol gas made me redo 3 carbs before I realized my gas station had changed.

• htyler48
    8 years ago

i bought a still tiller 4 years ago. after using it two times for about 30 minutes it would not start. I had to replace the carburetor. Now two yard and 1 hour later it will not start again. Absolute pierce of crap. I have had similar issues with still chain saws. do not buy a still product.

• trickyputt
    8 years ago

HTYLER48 are you putting diesel in them? Too much oil? It shouldnt really smoke when running. You may be carbon fouling the plug if that is the case. I used my polesaw and chainsaw today. I had not used the polesaw in a year, so I dumped the gas, put in some fresh and it fired right up. I am probably misreading your post, but I think you use that tiller more than twice before replacing the carb. That sounds like you have a gas preference and dont believe whats written in the stihl manual about 89 octane and alcohol in the fuel. If you buy the cheapest gas (alcohol) and oil, you may want to check your fuel pickup lines also. Its a pressurized system and if the connection to the carb gets wobbled out it will not run right if at all. Thats what the primer bulbs do...pump up the pressure for starting. This is true on all those little 2cycles. I wouldnt mind if the carbs were made with something that alcohol did not effect. Its my only real gripe.

• Doug Edge Sr.
    7 years ago

I just bought a mantis electric tiller put it together This past Saturday may 14 2016 I USED IT IN MY FLOWER BEDS AFTER TILLING ONE BED THE ENGINE STOPPED AND WILL NOT RE START DID ALL THE THINGS AS INSTRUCTED. I WILL BE RETURNING IT FOR MY MONEY BACK I CAN NOT RECOMMEND THE ELECTRIC TILLER MADE BY MANTIS

• PRO
    Gardener
    2 years ago

The oil and gas in the 2 cycles must be combined, whilst the oil in the 4 cycles must be changed every 10 hours of use. https://tillersplanet.com/stihl-tiller-vs-mantis-good-or-bad/

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner