Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biggeo_gw

echo srm-225 or srm-230 trimmer, edgit pro

biggeo
14 years ago

I'm looking to buy a new Echo trimmer for home use. Home Depot sells both models but the SRM-230 is $50 more.

The following comparison on the echo web site;

http://www.echo-usa.com/prod_compare.asp?SRM-225=ON&SRM-230=ON&Category=TRIMMER&B1=Compare

shows very little difference to justify the additional cost. In fact, I think the SRM-225 is a newer model.

I would appreciate any advice. I don't mind spending the extra $50 if it's justified. Perhaps I've overlooked something.

I was thinking of using the extra $50 to purchase an Edgit Pro. Any Edgit opnions would also be appreciated.

Thanks, George

Comments (9)

• canguy
    14 years ago

The SRM230 has a 22.8cc engine vs 21.2 for the SRM225. I have used the old SRM210 and while a very nice machine, the SRM230 has noticeably more power. Have a look at the PAS series for versatility.

• masiman
    14 years ago

I think the PAS is nice but IIRC it does not pay unless you get 3(?) attachments. That is, the cost of the PAS system plus each attachment does not save money until you hit 3 attachments. However it does mean you will have only one powerhead.

• yungman
    14 years ago

I'll take the SRM230 or 231. It is pretty much the same weight and has a bigger engine. Not that the SRM225 is no good. Trimmer last a loooooong time if taken care of, what is $50 over 10+ years? Also 230 come standard with the bump advanced head. I am not saying SRM225 is not good, it is just my opinion. When in doubt, get the one higher!!!

I agree with Masiman, I won't get the multi tool because it is not cheap and you only have one head.

• bowman1968
    14 years ago

I just got the srm 225, it seems to have a lot of power. Mine came with the new easy wind head. If you can, I would buy from a local dealer, rather than HD. Mine was the same price from a local dealer and they will help me with any problems that might arise.

• yungman
    14 years ago

They might charge you dearly for any service too!! You might be unpresently surprised that they deny your warrantee for some excuses and charge you. One charge would be over half the cost of a new trimmer. At least if I get it from HD, I get 30 days return if any problem comes up, no question asked.

• bowman1968
    14 years ago

I deal with AAA Lawnmower of KC and let me tell you, they would never do anything like that. I guess you don't have a reputable dealer in your area? Sounds like you got burned once! I hate H Depot, everytime I need to talk to someone that supposed to know what they are talking about, they know less than I do. Good Luck!

• sundog7
    14 years ago

I was just looking on the Home Depot website at the specs for the Echo SRM-225SB and the Echo SRM-225SBC.

SRM-225SB Fuel Tank Capacity : 5.2 Gal.
    SRM-225SBC Fuel Tank Capacity : 14.9 Gal.

No wonder the darned things are so HEAVY! Surely they meant ounces. :)

Lesson: Never believe anything on the net until you know it to be so.

• yungman
    14 years ago

I am going to another dealer now. I bought my last blower Maruyama BL8100 from them. It was only $20 over the online store so I didn't mind buying from them. Knock on wood I have no problem with it and hope to keep it that way. Don't want to find out how good this dealer is!!!! Besides I like to go and play with other equipments. Now I am shopping for a mower, that don't quite work as well buying online.

Fuel tank of 5 gal!!! You have to carry on your back!!!

• sundog7
    14 years ago

Funny typo, wasn't it? I don't think I'll tell Home Depot about it.