Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
No Spill gas can warranty

Posted by cranheim (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 16, 12 at 22:24

I purchased two No Spill gas cans with a lifetime warranty. Because of problems discovered with the nozzles, they reduced the warranty to three years and began using a redesigned nozzle. When I called to have then send me new nozzles, they refused because they changed the warranty from lifetime to three years. My can has the old style nozzle. Is it legal to change a warranty after the sale of a product? One of the reasons I chose this can was the Lifetime Warranty.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: No Spill gas can warranty

Technically, they haven't broken any law. Rather, the warranty was contractual, and by changing the terms unilaterally, they breached the contract. Your only probable remedy is to sue (small claims), but is it worth it for a $20 gas can. I'm sure they think you won't be bothered.

Probably only realistic satisfaction is to bad mouth them (by name) in every relevant forum you can find.

o

I have no intensions of sueing anyone. The money is not the issue. Advertising the product as having a lifetime warranty, then taking it way when the product becomes too costly to repair because of a defect, is what bothers me. I'm sure many others made the decision to go with No-Spill based on their warranty. The new three years warranty can easily be changed to a one year warranty if there are any issues with the new design. I just put too much value in thinking the warranty would be honored if there was a defect down the road. That was my mistake. I just never ran into this problem before. I wonder what the response would be if the lifetime warranty on Sears tools was taken away. That is their biggest selling point.

o

Remember the 35 cent cup of hot coffee? cranheim you need to get with it. IMO Get you good amblance chasing lawyer and sue for million bucks. then Settle out of court for 200K. after lawyers fees of 199,990K you get about 10 bucks for your trouble. IMO After all we can't have HP rating of lawn mower engine why should we have to cheated out of life time warranty. IMO You got hoodwinked and that my friend is reason to sue in the USA with all the starving lawyers.

o

"No-Spill" cans had a recall in 2010. You can do an internet search and check it out.

o

The No-Spill cans seem over-priced for plastic construction. For only a little more you can get an Eagle metal can - made in USA.

o

Thanks for the sensible responses about the recall and suggesting Eagle cans. I looked and did not find a recall on the NO-Spill cans, and the company did not mention there was one. I have not seen Eagle cans in stores in my area, but I will certainnly look into it. I really did not find the childish response about sueing everyone and everything helpful. I thought I made it clear I never had any thoughs of sueing anyone in my earlier post. I still think the printed warranty, when used as a selling feature, should mean something. There are many companies out there that will honor what they market.

o

The recall is at the link below; it applied only to 5-gallon cans made within a specific 2 - 3 month period, and involved leakage from the spout connection.

As for Eagle cans, I got mine at Lowe's in Fort Worth, and both Ace Hardware and Amazon carry them. The 5 gallon cans are about $45.

Here is a link that might be useful: No-Spill recall

o

Thanks for your input about the recall. I looked at it and found it applied to the 5 gal cans only. The problem was with the can itself, not the spout. I have the 1 1/4 gal cans. It still presents a safety hazzard when the spout leaks due to a crack in the plastic. I tried to fix one of them using JB weld, but that did not work. It was a dumb thing to even try. Gasoline is too dangerous to take chances with. It looks like I will just have to lose the can or buy a new spout because the company dropped the warranty. If a new spout has a problem, I lose again because it is still out of warranty. Again, I thank you for your time and interest.

o

I won't fool with these no-spill cans. I just use an old gallon glass wine jug. They're free and they last forvever if you don't drop them. It was good enough for Dad and it's good enough for me.

o

When I was a kid, we sometimes bought gasoline or kerosene in glass jars, but it really wasn't a safe thing to do. In my state (and I figure in all states), it is against the law to store or transport flammable liquids in glass containers. It is also illegal for gasoline dealers to let purchasers use glass containers. GLASS CONTAINERS FOR GASOLINE NOT SAFE, NOT SAFE, NOT SAFE.

o

"it is against the law to store or transport flammable liquids in glass containers"...That is only because the legislators are in the pocket of the gas can manufacturers.

Another gasoline storage tip. Gasoline doesn't go bad as fast if it's kept cool. Personally I store mine in the master bedroom because it is the only room in the house with an air conditioner, but your situation may be different. If you use a wine bottle be sure to mark it so the kids don't think it's wine. Safety first, always.

o

I guess many of the "Old Timers" did some stupid things many years ago when using glass bottles to carry small amounts of gasoline was normal. As much as I hate to admit it, I remember going to the local gasoline station on a Cushman Motor Scooter to pick up a gallon of gas in a glass jug for my father's lawn mower. I carried it on the floor between my legs because it would not fit in the small rear compartment. That was over 60 years ago. If anyone did this now, they would probably be arrested for transporting explosives with the intent of being a suicide bomber.

o

Hey evdpgh, you shouldn't rely on writing on the wine bottle to warn the kids away from drinking your lawn mower fuel. It would be better to drill this into the kids: SNIFF BEFORE YOU SWIG! And, besides you shouldn't be storing wine in the master bedroom.

Charles: In my neck of the woods, any kid that had a Cushman scooter was wishing it was an Eagle - remember those?

o

"I remember going to the local gasoline station on a Cushman Motor Scooter to pick up a gallon of gas in a glass jug"...When I was 8 or 9 I used to ride my bike. Tied the jug to the handlebars. Steering and pedaling with a full gallon wine jug swinging around sure helps a kid develop coordination.

o

"you shouldn't be storing wine in the master bedroom"...The wife complained about being in the refrigerator.

o

I too remember my parents sending me down to the gas
station with a glass gallon jug, when I was about
8 or 9 years old, (I didn't have a bike, so I put the
jug in my wagon). My Mother gave me a quarter and told me not to lose the change. We had one of the first gasoline
powered lawnmowers on the block, and it was a reel mower.
Rotary mowers were becoming popular, but my Mother said they weren't safe.
Of course, as soon as Dad got
bored with this new fangled contraption, the grass cutting
was my chore FOREVER.

o

I checked at the local "sells anything" store , last week, and found they had a plastic can for sale that didn't have that infernal spout on them. Forgot to get the price. RJ

o

Couple of good hoots here about the wine jugs, refrigerators and such.

In NJ, not supposed to pump your own gas, but the local country bumpkin gas stations near here don't care what you do.

We were down in Cape May last week. In the service station, I had already paid the guy, I took the gas nozzle out of the car and put it back on the pump. The attendant came over and had a fit. "Not supposed to touch that!!"

Was in a Hess station a few days ago. The attendant had on a yellow reflective vest. He was wearing this reflective vest to PUMP gas. I mentioned to him that I have never seen that before. He replied "It's the law in NJ". OK, whatever. Must be a new era.

o

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am continually being amazed.
I thought that 'pump your own gas' was the norm
throughout the United States. Well, I'll be
darned.

o

Pump your own is the legal in 48 states. Only Oregon and New Jersey prohibit self serve of gasoline, and in New Jersey it is legal to pump diesel fuel. Not sure about Oregon and diesel fuel.

o

Just one more reason for me to stay far away from yankee land.

o

I once thought that we had to worry only about Uncle Sam becoming Big Brother - you know, the one who helps you across the street and then refuses to let go of your hand. Turns out that Brother comes at all levels, with homeowners associations and local governments, followed by the various states all feeling like it's their duty to protect us from ourselves. But it's THEM we need protection from, not ourselves.

o

I'm glad I don't live in new Jersey. They'd probably frown on my glass wine bottles there.

o

ev, I would have figured you for a wine-in-a-carton type of guy ... no, on second thought, those cartons probably wouldn't work very good for gasoline.

o

I have a 2.5 gallon "no overflow" can from Sears or B&S. Sounds better than it actually works.

Won't work with my shredder because the angle required by can is not allowed by some shredder part. Works ok with weed wacker. Mixed results with lawn mower (the most commonly used tool), fine when user is careful, not so when user is using 'normal' care. Plastic by tank flexes and gas spills out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here