Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjrsjr

Craftsman Snowblower Recall

pjrsjr
16 years ago

Did anyone else receive a recall notice in the mail from Sears on their snowblowers? I have a repairman coming to my house tomorrow to fix the problem and a free tune-up.

Comments (30)

• sundazes
    16 years ago

I got the letter too. Called today. I found it outrageous that they give you an 8 hour window to wait for the repairman. I asked the rep if they were owned by Comcast.
    She said she would refer my comments to the customer relations dept and they would call me. I am not upset about the recall, hey doo doo occurs, but to tell a customer that they will be there between 8 and 5, ticked me off. Then she said the guy would call once, if no one answered, they would reschedule. So I asked her, so if I am changing a diaper and cant get to the phone, he wont call back. She said no. What a way to do business. If I did that to my customers, I would not be in business!

• pjrsjr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hear you, I was given the same 8hr window. Luckily, I had enough to do around the house to keep me busy plus the kids were home. The repair went smoothly, Sears sent the parts in the mail before the repair guy showed up. He did mention that some people were scheduled for the repair but hadn't rec'd the parts in the mail. When I made the appointment there was no mention of the parts being mailed, more great customer service I guess.

• sundazes
    16 years ago

What time did they show up?

• pjrsjr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

He called from the road @3pm and showed up at 3:30pm.

• rosedr
    16 years ago

got my parts in the mail today. Repair guy never showed. I did find the number to call and set up another appt.

Frustrating! Have a great day.

• sundazes
    16 years ago

You were probably on the can when he called. Since you did not answer, he blew you off....
    Again, what a way to run a business...

• bushleague
    16 years ago

What all is the recall about?

• dpudsy
    16 years ago

I got the call this p.m. from Sears I was not home they are to call back.

Last winter I had the snowblower fire, scared the crap out of me, thankfully I had a 5 lb dry chemical extinguisher less than 10 feet away. The flames touched the roof of my garage (8 feet high). My question is why did it take Sears? Briggs and Stratton so long?

Dave

• sundazes
    16 years ago

Got another letter yesterday, saying the parts were back ordered. My appt has been canceled. Please call when you receive the parts and schedule another appt.

• pjrsjr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Last winter I had the snowblower fire, scared the crap out of me, thankfully I had a 5 lb dry chemical extinguisher less than 10 feet away. The flames touched the roof of my garage (8 feet high). My question is why did it take Sears? Briggs and Stratton so long?"

Holy crap I didn't realize the severity of the problem I thought it was a precaution. The repair guy played it down as though it was no big deal.

• johng101
    16 years ago

I also received a recall notice for my 8HP Briggs & St. engine snow blower. I took the notice to the sears store and told them that I am not comfortable with having the snow blower repaired. They offered me a 9HP Tech. engine snowblower as an even exchange. They picked up my old blower and delivered the new blower free of charge.
    The new blower was valued $250.00 more than my old one.
    Gotta Love Sears.

• sundazes
    16 years ago

How long have you had it?

• ward2007
    16 years ago

I was scheduled to have my Recall taken care of today. The parts box came last week. Of course today I had a 8-hour window. No show, no call, not surprised? I was within earshot of the phone all day. I'm just going to wait and see if I get a call to get rescheduled as I don't have a phone number to call and am going to demand I get priority on whatever day I get scheduled. Fat chance, huh? Maybe the technician will call tomorrow - again, fat chance. Does Sears read these? Fat chance.

• charlann
    16 years ago

Got my notice last thursday 23 Aug, guy said tech would be here 25 aug no mention of parts being shipped might be different in Canada? no one showed so I called again and they said it had been resheduled till today sunday so far no one has showedup, sounds like a stall to me.

• ward2007
    16 years ago

UPDATE
    Haven't heard anything from Sears since my last entry of 15 August, so I decided to call Sears at the Recall Number -
    1-877-659-7017. I got right thru, unlike 15 August. Made a new service date of tomorrow, 29 August, between 8am and noon - fancy that. The lady I talked to looked at her computer and told me they were waiting for parts to arrive. I told her I've had them for 3 weeks! Nobody told me to call Sears when I received the box - in fact, nobody told me to expect a parts box period! Now, let's see if they show up.

• sundazes
    16 years ago

I finally got my parts and the tech is scheduled to come today. Let's just see if he shows. This is really frustrating.

• ward2007
    16 years ago

UPDATE TO Tue, Aug 28, 07 at 10:46

The Sears Technician showed up 29 August as scheduled at 10:00am. The new parts were installed with no problem and Technician left. The Technician said that if he was scheduled to see 12 customers any particular day, then his day ended after he saw the 12th customer. When you call the Recall Number, Sears will send you a Parts box by UPS; when it arrives you will have to call the Recall Number again and tell them the parts are in your possession, even though the parts box has a tracking number that Sears could track themselves. They will then schedule your Technician. They will wait to hear from you before scheduling the Tech. He will be at your house for about 1/2 hour. Here's the problem: the person doing the scheduling isn't looking at a map so doesn't know where you live in relation to the customer before or after you, so the Technician is spending a major portion of his time running from one customer to the next. Something wrong with this picture?

• adenn1
    16 years ago

Just got my notice today. Got the numbers they wanted and they confirmed over phone I was part of recall. They told me that parts would be shipped and to call them back at number I dialed to schedule technician to come to repair. Then said parts on back order and may take 6-8 weeks!

My letter said technician would perform a complimentary oil change and tune up. Did anyone else get this offer and did the tech do it????

I hope we don't get an early snow. I may go down to Sears and see if they will exchange the thrower.

• sundazes
    16 years ago

Update:
    The tech showed up on the scheduled day around 3pm. He did call about a half an hour before he showed. He performed the repair and changed the oil. He too said he was doing about 12 a day.
    I did go to Sears and talked to the store manager. He said if the parts weren't there by labor day to come back and they would make it right. Damn parts came about a week before labor day.

• boston387
    16 years ago

Guy showed up in mid november to install the parts(nice guy) - Did a tune up, fixed the recall, oil, gas treatment, the works - Took the SB out yesterday in the storm 12/13/07- it runs so hot the muffler glows red. If you move the throttle from choke to run and you put it into any snow the engine revs up and begins to backfire - big sparks come out of the muffler. I used it gently (was nervous it would explode). Called Sears again today - have to wait another month for them to come back out.(not to mention it worked fine before the recall fix) and before I started yelling customer service was going to try and charge me for this visit. Sears Sucks!!! A foot of snow due tonite... where is that shovel?

• madtripper
    16 years ago

Got my recall job done on schedule, but they did not change the oil - just left it for me to do.

I've had it out twice and works fine.

• fred1957
    15 years ago

I had my recall done on Nov 5th 2007, The parts arrived on time and the technician did the work. Luckily I was on vacation. One problem, I only used the snow blower once last winter, it was a very mild winter as we all know. Well so far this winter I used it twice,the snow blower once it warms up, the engine shut off. It restarts easily but runs for only 30 or 40 second then shuts off again. I put fresh gas in but nothing works. I called customer service, I call the recall number, but no one at Sears want to know anything or help me without charging me. The snow blower is 3 years old and ran fine until they did the recall. Has this happened to anyone else. Frustrated in Milford

• gorper99
    15 years ago

Milford Wisconsin?

• raydog48
    15 years ago

I had recall done in summer, now it runs 10 minutes, backfires and quits. It will not restart until 2 hours later-they ruined a good running machine! I will try to call Sears, i expect a battle-i will also contact Briggs-if it is a simple fix, i would do it myself and risk fire. Anyone research this problem?

• iptmario
    14 years ago

what part number or model do you guys have. i just bought one from a moving sale and now feel i got ripped off!!!

• ram2347606_aol_com
    13 years ago

My machine caught fire and blew up this new years eve! What a surprise! Fire fighters showed up to put it out! this is a good product? Went to Sears and if it wasnt for a nice lady named Mona I would be still nowhere! The guys at the counter laughed and said I must have done something wrong! The machine worked great for three years and now Kaboom! took many pictures and all I can say is that Im glad I didnt put it in the garage! I would have lost my car and home! I cant wait to see how Sears will handle this! RECALL! thanks for the paper work I never recieved! Any idea of what to expect from Sears! Man coming friday to inspect it! Not much to see since it burnt to the ground! Couldnt wait since most stores are out of machines in January. Bought ne machine last night. Dont need the hassle of me being the bad guy. Loved the fact that if you google snowblower recalls this one on my machine shows up! Almost roasted on Cape Cod!

• glyons_hvc_rr_com
    13 years ago

my carberator leaks gas. I think this is not normal. Tech says they all work this way. Any comments, please

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Dick : So Happy that You and your family were not seriously injured . You can always replace equipment . Ensure to have your Better Business Bureau get involved within your assistance . George , as indicated within this Thread Gas Leaking from a Gas Engine is a serious NOT NORMAL situation . Inspect and ensure resolve , seek professional help if you are not capable , let us know your final resolution all the Best ! :)

• jim6669jim
    9 years ago

This is 7 years late, but an update to anyone with this snow blower. I have one. It was my friends till it caught fire and he gave it to me. The problem is that the fuel line fitting in the bowl of the carburetor was made of plastic. It either was too small or came loose from vibration. It fell out of the carburetor, allowing gas to spill all over the hot engine . Usually this fitting is made of brass. And the serviceman lie when they say 'they all ( all snow blowers) leak'. I never saw plastic used for that type of fitting before.

I put on a B&S lawn mower carburetor. It's hard to start but it hasn't leaked or caught fire. It has a metal fitting.

• PRO
    Flex Design LLC
    9 years ago

Was the Sears recall for the 8 HP B&S only?

Or did it involve other in that period? IE: a 5 HP Engine?

thanks for those who know the answer.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner