Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baymee

Bought a compressor at auction but it's 3 phase :(

baymee
13 years ago

I should know better at my age, but I bought a compressor at an online auction and didn't realize it was 3 phase. I actually went to see it, but didn't have my glasses, and couldn't read the data plate.

It's a Speedaire, 2 stage and the motor is rated at 17 amps, 3 phase.

Paid $230 for it and if I have to buy a motor, I may just unload it. Are there any options worthwhile with a convertor?

Comments (8)

• Greg Goyeneche
    13 years ago

Need nameplate horsepower and voltages. Amps alone aren't enough.

Generally phase converter is cheaper (especially a static converter) but new motor is the best way to go. No matter which way you go, Static Converter, Rotary Converter, or New Single Phase Motor, you're probably in the $300 to $500 range for 5hp and $450 to $800 for 10hp.

The link is an outfit selling both types. Gives you an idea. I'd also price out motors separately. Keep in mind that anything bigger than 5hp will probably cause lights to flicker or dim when powered by a single phase circuit.

Here is a link that might be useful: TEMCO

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Everything looks better with glasses on. Thanks for your reply. I hope it's worth it to re-motor.

It's a Speedaire, direct drive. No other model info on it. It's PA certified with a U stamp.

The motor is a Doerr (Emerson) 5HP. 1740 RPM 60HZ Frame N184Y continuous duty 3 PH Type P. Ser. fact 1.15
    MT'R REF PR75505A911 Code K Lo volts 208/230 17.6 amps

Here are two other numbers with no reference to them:

MC012201AV and LR13758

Any Idea what this thing is worth and is it worth it to remotor? It's in excellent condition and was used at Buckeye Pipeline in PA.

• ladylake
    13 years ago

Check on getting a used motor at a motor shop or maybe a farm store, farms used a lot of 5 hp motors. Steve

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like it's gonna be expensive judging from my phone call.

• the_0utsider
    13 years ago

"Looks like it's gonna be expensive judging from my phone call."

Don't loose faith. As President Clinton said it best - "I feel your pain!"

I recently bought a 3 Rotary Phase wood shaper with a 5 HP 3 phase motor. Just look at ebay for "3 phase converter"

After alot of reading and hunting, here is what i got:
    They have 2 types - Rotary and Static. I got a rotary converter because a rotary produces the 3 sine wave phases where a Static doesn't give the true 2 sine waves so i read.
    It says Static is fine for occasional home use.

With this, get power from a 240V outlet like water heater / dryer and you are in business.

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looked on ebay, but it seems that I might just end up taking a loss on this compressor. Or move my current motor and piston assy to the larger tank and unload/scrap the current motor/piston assy. It's a shame. It's in nice shape.

• ray_okla
    13 years ago

A possible solution:
    Purchase a 3HP motor designated for compressor use and use a motor shaft pulley half the diameter of the present one. A 3HP motor is priced around $190. For this to work, rotation direction of the motors should be in the same and the RPM of the single phase motor must be equal to or slower than the 3 phase motor. The few compressors that I have worked on have all had CCW rotation. Even with the decrease in air volume, there should be more volume than required for any home use.

• baymee
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's a goofy frame number and it's direct drive.