Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redshift123

Best Husky Chainsaw for homeowner grade

redshift123
10 years ago

I am looking to buy a chainsaw for landscaping needs. I personally prefer Husky but most of their homeowner saws have plastic body which appears to be cheap.

So suggest me what should i do and should i be concerned about the plastic body?

Comments (10)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    10 years ago

I bought a Husky and it wouldn't start. I took it back and they couldn't get it to start so they gave me another.

I took it home and it wouldn't start either.

I took it back and went to an Echo dealer. It starts very easy.

The Echo dealer said that he had heard a lot of stories from people about the Husky being hard to start.

• redshift123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was reading reviews online on websites and forums about the best chainsaw brand. Most people said that Husky 455 is a good saw except that it has a plastic body, there is no problems with power or anything else.

@wertach: Echo saws are also god but I personally like Husky. It is very rare that their saws are shipped damaged from the factory.

Here is a link that might be useful: Insightful chainsaw reviews and ratings

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

"plastic body which appears to be cheap." most saws do. I would make sure it has adjustable oiler for the chain. little or no oil to chain usually is the death of most chainsaws IMO due to the chain dulls very quickly with no oil. IMO the second death of chainsaw would be not sharpen the chain and cleaning the bar, chain, oil feeder holes, and clutch housing out after ever use or at least every other use..

• m21bmr
    10 years ago

To answer your question:
    "should i be concerned about the plastic body?"

I would answer no in a homeowner situation. 99% of homeowners will never wear out their chainsaw. It will develop carb problems from sitting up, or something similar. I have an Echo CS-370, which like most saws has quite a bit of plastic in the construction. Based on the few years I have had and used it, I expect it will last 30 years or more with a little maintenance. The question of "does it have too much plastic?" is not a concern at all for me.
    I don't do any crazy storage rituals with mine. I use the saw probably 4-5 times a year. I run 50:1 ethanol free fuel mix with Stabil fuel stabilizer, and I don't drain the fuel between usages. If I used ethanol fuel, I would likely drain it between usages and try to run all of the fuel out of the carburetor that I could.
    My Echo has a build date of 2006, so it is already about 7 years old. It still feels as solid as a new one. There was about 1/3 of a Bradford Pear tree that fell in my yard a few weeks back from wind damage. I just had to pull out the chainsaw, top off the fuel and bar oil, and start cutting. It is very satisfying to have a peice of equipment that just works when you need it.
    Good luck in your search.

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

For use around a home, I would recommend getting a large electric chainsaw. Most of the things around a home can be handled by an electric. I use mine for the occasional tree that must come down, trimming branches, shrubs, etc. That was the idea when I bought my 14' Poulan Plastic handled Chain saw about 20 years ago.

Over the years I have used it to cut up several trees, the largest being a 20" diameter long leaf pine, It was used to cut up the 31 other slightly smaller trees that I lost in hurricane Fran. Last summer I lost a 12" diameter sweet gum. It did the job.

If you are planning to cut these large diameters trees routinely. I would not recommend an electric. Neither if you are going out in the wood to cut trees for a fireplace.

The biggest advantage for an electric is it will run when ever you plug it in. You never have to worry about fuel ratios, and such. Gas chainsaw are a real pain if you only use it a couple of times a year and have to keep the carburetor clean. There is no carburetor on an electric.

If you get an electric you will be limited to less that 200' or less of cord. The cord takes time to coil and uncoil. but is not as frustrating as getting the gas one started after sitting in the shed unused for a year.

From a safety point of view the blade only runs when you pull the switch. it stops nearly immediately

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    10 years ago

I totally agree with knuttle, an electric is the way to go for most homeowner needs-IF-you can get power to where you need it. Also, if you have a portable genset, you can take them anywhere needed. They're relatively inexpensive, easy to clean and no "starting rituals" when you decide to use after sitting for months.

Disadvantage to an electric is that it won't "fog" for monsquitos.....:-)

Good luck,

Ev

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Have to second Knuttle and Exmar unless you are mechanically inclined todays new gas saws are not user friendly. What I mean is that epa versions are harder starting and unless you have a definite need electric units are probably much easier for the novice homeowner. However chain tension and sharpening and bar cleaning is still paramount with either gas or electric models ... Happy Cutting . P.S. Stihl or Remington have very efficient electric units. Poulan use to market electric also ?

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Red Shift : Sorry since I really did not answer your original question as to my recommendation of Husky Homeowner grade Saw. I current own two Husky saws a XP 346 and a Rancher 460 . I also own a little older Stihl MS-260 and newer Stihl 361 . Therefore along with previous Mac and Pioneer Vintage Saws and a Vintage Husky 266 I have seen the gambit of GOOD and the BAD of Saw Designs.
    Do not get overly concerned within the current plastic clam shell exterior covers. As for the Best all around Husky unit for your needs , I would advise either the 455 or 460 Rancher units. They the best of the Homeowner Grade that Husky current markets. other wise the Husky 350 is another option you may wish to consider . Stay away from the 245 or 345 445 units which are price pointed to compete with the offshore competition . Good luck and Happy Cutting !

• ladylake
    10 years ago

Both Dolmar and Echo build far better saws than home owner Husky or Stihl saws for about the same price. Steve

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

I modified a 12â electric McCulloch Chain Saw that is hard to beat for home use vs maintaining, adding gas, starting and using a nosier gas saw. I had owned 2 Poulan S25 16â gas saws since the mid to late 1970s. With their yearly firewood harvesting and trimming trees I thought they were the best all around use saws vs excessive or too light.

Recently I start using my electric chain saw of my Remington Pole Saw and was so impressed with what the 10â saw would do. A friend gave me his 12â Electric McCulloch that I thought worked fair until I realizing the automatic sharpening and chain type was a slower cut. Switching from the automatic sharpening chain and slightly porting my bar oil has made it a super saw. ItâÂÂs my first choice at home or once I get wood home.

My gas saws are pluses to get the wood home with less cuts twice the length (if the dia permits) and the electric takes over at home.

Attachments: Non Self Sharpening Chain Added, GrandâÂÂs Donated Oil Pump Bulb! LOL. The saw oiled good from cleaning/porting/venting vs the Pump Bulb needed.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:311434}}