Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edro_gw

Ryobi CS30 String Trimmer Problems

edro
17 years ago

I've only had my Ryobi CS30 Curved Shaft String Trimmer for around 5 months, and I am having some issues with it. I was hoping I could get some input/advice.

The main problem that I am having is that the trimmer won't idle for very long. It just dies after a couple of minutes, unless I keep it at full throttle. I adjusted the idle speed screw so that it will stay running, but now the string head won't stop spinning (even when it is in idle).

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• masiman
    17 years ago

Hopefully the small engine guys will chime in.

I don't know the possible causes for the symptoms but alot times people are told to check the fuel system: filter, vent, lines. Ensure you have fresh gas, recommended to use stabilizer at all times. Check the air filter and the flame arrestor

The more complex is the carb rebuild. Doable but requires more work. I have never done one. Kits are available to do that.

I have probably left some things out and grossly understated what to do :).

Good Luck.

• roozter
    17 years ago

I fixed my Ryobi CS30 problem. I cleaned the air filter, and the spark arrestor, and the muffler. I oiled the throttle cable and I still could not get this thing to run correctly. I began to remove the carburetor and noticed that the whole cylinder casing seemed loose. It was very loose (about 1/16" air gap). It is amazing that I could get this thing to run at all.

I tightened the three bolts at the bottom of the cylinder casing, (you have to remove the rear black plastic cover) and now it runs like new.

• joedscar
    17 years ago

".......I tightened the three bolts at the bottom of the cylinder casing, (you have to remove the rear black plastic cover) and now it runs like new."

I had the exact same experience except it ran like new only an hour then went back to the same behaviour. Muffler, spark arrestor, diaphrams, air filter all seem OK. Any ideas? How does one access the fuel filter?

• dawg45
    17 years ago

Fuel filter is accessed through gas tank on my 775 trimmer. there's a small ring on underside of gas tank that holds filter tight. i have a fuel delivery problem. not getting full RPMs. if i pump the bubble slowly, it gains RPMs. I have a new carburetor but can't find a tool to fit air/gas pins (they are round with a hole). any ideas?

• allensm
    16 years ago

Tightening the bolts on the casing should fix the problem and I believe you said it did, but it only worked for a hour. Is there any kind of gasket that has deteriorated if not maybe think about making one out of liquid gasket sealer. Because it sounds like after running the heat of the engine is changing your seal on the casing. This is due to a poor casting process.
    The fuel filter on the CS30 is attached to a small piece of pvc tubing inside the tank and is extended to the end of the tank. This is a very poor design.

I am having trouble with the engine shutting off when I rotate the trimmer to edge.

I am thinking about buying another filter and some tubing then attaching it to a tube tee to send a filter to each end of the tank. But I am afraid one side will suck to much air.

The only other way I see to fix the problem is to make sure I keep the tank completly full (which sucks) or to find a more flexable tubing that will allow the filter to fall to each side of the tank easier.

Any other ideas, let me know?