Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blown Head Gasket B&S 1100 series on MacKissic Shredder

Posted by garystpaul z4 MN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 10, 10 at 9:50

After gradual hard-starting to no-starting, and much diagnostic poking around, plus changing air filter, spark plug, cleaning carb, etc., I found the problem: insufficient compression due to a blown head gasket. The engine is still just shy of expiration of 2-year warranty, but the gasket is cheap and easy to replace. I'll get it next week and I'm hoping to get back to the easy-start, purring engine it has been up until now. Naturally, I'm concerned about what caused the gasket failure. Does anyone out there have experience or tips about what to look at or think about here? Thanks. Gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blown Head Gasket B&S 1100 series on MacKissic Shredder

Having the cooling fins blocked by debris may be a factor. They don't fail too often on these in my world. If you post the actual model and type, I could look if a bulletin was out- or the dealer could when you get the gasket.

o

Thanks a lot, Tom. It's a B&S 150112-2110-B8.

Debris is certainly a factor with any shredder. My buddy and I decided to look at the gasket as a last resort, plus we heard a little whoosh of air coming from that direction. It's a fairly new engine (build date March 08), so I was surprised.

Gary

o

I see nothing. Should be a good repair.

o

Good news. Thanks, Tom. Gasket should arrive this week. Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here