Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How does a trimmer advance string?

Posted by jim_w_ny Zone 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 10:15

My Black & Decker doesn't do that. Works until the string . becomes too short then quits. Then after taking the cap off the string has wound into the inside. Pulling out the string only works until that happens again.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How does a trimmer advance string?

Jim: I would assume the B&D has the same basic tap and go feature of most trimmers ? If you have the proper amount and gauge of line applied in the required direction of flow on the spool . You gently tap the head on the ground surface while accelerating the trimmer . Don't over tension the line within the spool hosing , this sometimes will contribute to the unraveling into the hub when the line breaks.

o

According to the manual there is no need to "bump" the thing. I was thinking that maybe it is something in the spool mechanism?

o

Centrifugal Force is what normally allows the spool to unwind , however your trimmer may well have a different mechanical means of deploying the line to within a certain length which is normally the line cutter Blade . Does your Operator's Manual not explain or illustrate this ? I would think perhaps a slip clutch brake set up , that when you accelerate the trimmer additional line is fed out ? Sorry without further info can't help you out .

o

Ewalk

The manual doesnt say a word about string advancement. And after taking it apart I see nothing but the motor that turns the trimmer. So.the mechanism must be in the spool. So Im going to try WD40 on it see if that helps!

o

Jim , Just a further question is your trimmer gas or electric verion ?

o

Electric as in extension cord not battery.

And thanks for your help!

o

Jim: Just thought I would confirm , since my Wife has a small Black & Decker Cordless (18 Volt) Bush Hog Model that she always uses around her garden . I never use it so completely forgot about it . I checked the Line advance Design and it to is a Tap and Go mechanism . Less robust than my Gas Version with a Spring loaded slip clutch rather than a ratchet stop style . Don't know what to tell you perhaps check out online or contact a authorized dealer for further info ..sorry !

o

My trimmer is working, it just needed a shot of WD40.

Now something interesting. There were several places where I I couldn't reach because of the guard. So I took it off. I expected to have a problem as the cutter on the guard now wouldn't work. Not so. After using for a long time the string remained about 5" long And it worked like a Trojan really cutting like mad. I also thought the string might hit my bare leg. Not a problem. The only problem was the small bits of dirt that hit my bard leg stinging a bit.

From now on I'm going to use it without the guard!

o

Just ensure to guard by position the debris (projectile Path) Since Basement Windows or Sliding Porch Drs are great Targets . Good to hear that the lubrication was all that was necessary !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here