Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bar change on McCulloch Mac3200?

Posted by chas045 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 10:28

I have an old reliable Mac3200 16" chain saw. Always starts easy and runs well. It is designed for a 54 link chain. Awhile back I acquired a bunch of 16" new chains from an auction and just realized that they are unfortunately just a little long for my saw. I had tried to fit one and it slid in the bar properly but I realized that the bar would not extend enough to tension it.

So: is there a reasonably easy way to remove a link or two? I am reasonably well equiped with tools. My first thought had been to see if anyone knew if slightly wider bars from certain other saws (that were made for these chains in the first place) might fit on the McCulloch. If I can remove links, that would seem to be the easier route.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bar change on McCulloch Mac3200?

Check some of the "shorten chainsaw chain youtubs" and etc. I saw a number online as the one below that was hard to hear. This should be an easy find and east task.

Quick tips that I use with general equipment vs the better tools:

1. I grind the head off and punch out the links to break/remove (after checking close of how many to rem.
2. With the breaks, I�ll know the exact size to obtain from the supply shop to join the chain back.
3. I brad the new link in with a hammed to "0" play (not tight or loose).

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=shortening+a+chainsaw+chain+youtube&view=detail&mid=6D5573494D25856A776B6D5573494D25856A776B&first=0&qpvt=shortening+a+chainsaw+chain+youtube

o
RE: Bar change on McCulloch Mac3200?

I was looking at the Oregon fit up guide for your saw and they had a "Note" that said some of the older saws used a 1/4 inch pitch chain versus the current 3/8 pitch chain. Both were .050 gauge. You might check it out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here