Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

Running equipment bone dry of gas vs running new fresh treated fu

loger_gw
10 years ago

Running equipment bone dry of gas vs running new fresh treated fuel at least once a year is my challenge on seldom used or extra equipment. I feel running the equipment bone dry and using the treated fuel before it is too old might be my best option. Please share your opinions and how you manage fuel and seldom used equipment (advantages vs disadvantages). Either way I feel itâÂÂs excess work and causing me to stop storing over one piece of back-up equipment. Such as: Today I need to start a string trimmer, Blower and Chainsaw because how long they have been sitting vs needing to use them today.

The past was to use left over boatâÂÂs gas and that worked when I was more active with gas saws at home vs my preferred electric saw use at home now. Getting a little older is becoming a challenge to my older equipment vs Slower Me. LOL

Comments (5)

• baymee
    10 years ago

On my 4 stroke equipment, I always run them dry at the end of the season, except for my two tractors, because they use fuel pumps. I just treat the gas in the tank.

On 2 stroke equipment, I empty the weed whacker, but let the gas in the chain saw. I never had trouble with 2 stroke equipment, probably because of the oil in the fuel.

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

I try to start my every few months, but got bunch of old chain saws that are more antique than used. I like treating the gas with marvels mystery oil and running them long enough to get the oil through the carb. then dumping the gas in my burn can, then running them dry. I try to do this twice a year if possible (If I remember??? I now have to put piece of tape with the date on it so I can remember when I do this?

• ewalk
    10 years ago

Loger: I use to use RC,s system worked quite well for over 30 yrs. More recently via assistance from fellow forum member I have began using Star*tron available via Napa or Walmart during the boating season for all my units either 2-stroke or 4-stroke . My auto gas or diesel or my 4-wheelers , snowmobiles , law tractors and mowers. Originally was required form my chainsaws and trimmers but with the 2 yr fuel stabilization guarantee I use this stuff for everything and it works great . Started a very little used chainsaw after 2 yrs and it fired on the second pull , made a beliver out of me lol . Getting a little long in the tooth and this standardization sure did reduce the headache of having to use different products and scenario,s for storage. I recently put a $8.00 bottle within my RV and treated 60 US gallons and the 460 Ford purrs like a kitten . Don,t know what to do with the unused Stabil and Lucus top end treatment lol . I still use the Sea Foam once a year for fuel injectionplenum cleaning via the brake booster vacuum line. Just top up your fuel tank and add a few drops of this product depending on the usage and your good to go next season Bro !

• loger_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank ewalk and All, Topping up is what my âÂÂageâ was missing! It d/n seem to matter with my boatâÂÂs little 35 hp 6 gal tanks with 2-3 gals treated âÂÂun-toppedâ but two trimmers refused that fuel. IâÂÂll top the small trimmerâÂÂs tanks with fresh treated fuel to starve the oxygen and moisture. As âÂÂOld Schoolâ that I thought StaBil eliminated (but c/n).

The joke is on me and My Belief In âÂÂLifetimeâÂÂ. That is out the door with todayâÂÂs Fast Changing Technology. I date my small equipmentâÂÂs fuel and maintenance on the equipment with tape, Due To Too Much StUFF.

Take Care All !

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

Remember 2 cycle engines are more prone to fouling than 4-cycle. The 2-cycle engines use gasoline that is about 2% oil. When left stand for extended periods of time the low boiling components evaporate leaving the oil residue in your fuel line, and carburetors.

A 4-cycle uses gasoline with less than 0.01% residual. This leaves significantly less residuals in the system when the gasoline evaporates.

The bottom line what works for your 4-cycle will not work for your 2-cycle engine.

I had a 2-cycle leaf blower that gummed up in about 3 season, and had to be replace. My 4-cycle lawn mower, gets serviced once per season, I do not remove the gas at the end of the season, and in the 16 years I have had the mower, it has never failed to start on the second pull when it comes out of storage in the spring.

My lawn tractor, leaf blower, and weed eater are all 4-cycle and on the same schedule, the gasoline is left as it was when I do the last mowing of the season and the all start in the spring on the first or second try.

On those motors with priming bulbs, I always pump until there are NO bubbles in the line, A couple of pulls at full choke, and they will start at half choke on the next pull.

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner