Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kperkins_gw

Wagner painters

kperkins
18 years ago

Anyone use one of the airless Wagner Wide Shot painters? I have a lot of painting and thought this sounded good but didn't know if it actually worked in application. Wanted some feedback before I spent $100 on the thing.

Ken

Comments (16)

• mike_merritt
    18 years ago

I don't know about the Wide Shot but I have used just about every other Wagner that has been made. These are fine tools for the money. The number one thing that causes the negative comments about Wagner tools is the fact that the paint MUST be thinned somewhat farther than most people think. This DOES NOT degrade the paint in any way. What one must do is apply several thin coats. One paint may be thinned 20%, the next 30% and some even 40%.

Mike

• kperkins
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good to know. I'll probably pick one up next weekend and give it a shot.
    Ken

• davidandkasie
    18 years ago

i have one, and it is great. as posted above, you need to thin the paint. I did not when i first used it and i wasted a lot of paint and had a bunch of runs. I was painting INSIDE the house, but i do not recommend doing that to anyone. the only reason i did was we were just moving in and everything had to be painted anyway.

make sure you clean it per the manual after EVERY use. i gummed mine up once because i did not clean it when i stopped to go to Lowes. in one hours time the paint dried and i spent 2 hours cleaning it. now, if i am going to stop for more than 15 minutes i fill the cup about halfway with pure water and spray until it is empty. this works for a quick temporary clean.

• bambooo
    18 years ago

Buy a gallon of "Flotrol" from your paint and sudries shop.
    It will make using the sprayer that much better.

• booster
    18 years ago

As was said, thin properly, and use Flotrol. That said, if you have a bunch to do, you may want to move up to a real airless like a Graco, or the standup Wagner. Not much more money, but much better performance with less thinning, sputtrering, jamming, etc, and very much faster.

• Bessboro
    18 years ago

Bamboo commented on using flotrol with Wagner sprayer, what does the flotrol do?

• booster
    18 years ago

Flotrol will help keep the paint from drying in the piston area of the sprayer and seizing it. Even if you don't have seizing problems (which is very paint dependant) it will make everything work smoother. With most paints it will also help it lay out better and require less thinning. You only need it with the vibrator type airless cup guns, not the standup piston pump ones with the hose and gun.

• mike_merritt
    18 years ago

Latex paint tends to have an orange peel look about it when sprayed, in particular when its too thick. Floetrol causes the paint to sort of self level like an oil.

Mike

• Bessboro
    18 years ago

Last fall I put up a storage building/garage and used a siding cut out locally of native white pine. The siding is called Adirondack Novelty and has a rough texture. I have a Wagner sprayer called Series 200.I've had it for several years and I want to stain the building next month with a solid color stain. What do you folks think will I be able to spray it with this sprayer? Thanks

• booster
    18 years ago

Oil stain should spray fine. With solid color you need to be sure to "swirl" the cup regularly as you spray to keep the solids from settling out and plugging the pickup, especially if it sits any length of time without spraying.

• davefr
    18 years ago

What kind of painting???

If you're spraying large surfaces with latex paint then forget about these Wagner "toys" and rent a commerical airless unit like a Graco. Choose the tip to match the paint.

Now if you're doing small odd jobs like spraying a thin paint over a small area or doing trim, the Wagner will probably be fine.

Read the label on your paint. Most shouldn't be thinned or in some cases you can thin up to 10%.

If you've never sprayed paint before, you're likely to do a poor job at first. Most newbies are not able to spray a consistent paint film thickness. You won't notice it until a couple months elapse and then your paint job will start looking terrible. Even if you spray, you should always backbrush or backroll. It doesn't add much time but will improve your paint job significantly.

With airless spraying, absolutely everything needs to be masked off and if it's outdoors, mist will drift over to your neighbors so plan accordingly or you might be buying your neighbors car!

Sometimes the overhead associated with spraying (masking, cleaning) just isn't worth it.

• kahughes
    18 years ago

Hey guys (and gals too)
    I'm new to the forum but I too just purchased a Wagner Power painter and am having some difficulty.
    Any tips on thinning ratios? I am painting some wooden Adriondack chairs that have set out for a few years. My wife wants a high gloss red (I know bad choice of color and finish but its that or pitching the chairs.)
    Any suggestions on how much to thin the paint (Baer exterior latex) would be highly appreciated. Also I am using Floetrix per the bottle.
    Thanks in advance.

• booster
    18 years ago

You should have gotten a viscosity checking stick with the unit. Looks like a stir stick with a slot up it. You dip it and lift it out and see how it runs in the slot. The directions will tell you how to do it. They actually work quite well. Just don't thin further than the paint mfg recommends or you could affect the durability and adhesion.

• andy__
    18 years ago

Both the viscosity stick and the Floetrol come with directions that work well, in my experience. The company that makes Floetrol (Flood Co.) also makes a product called Penetrol for use with oil based paint and stains. Make sure you use the correct product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flood Co.

• kahughes
    18 years ago

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to finish the first chair this evening after work. I suppose its always best to read the instructions 1st.

• cbbase30
    17 years ago

Hi, im new at this paint sprayer stuff so all the help will be very apperiated. Im buying me the Wagner 404 Plus and no nothing about it, does anyone have any ideas on this type of sprayer? Im also looking to buy the Wagner 9190 any ideas aswell. Now on the Wagner 404 plus will that one be a good in and outside sprayer. And what wagner will you suggest of any will do all the types of spaying the different type of paints thr like the Latex Paint, Oil paint, Stain, Varnish, Polyurethane, Primer, Water Sealer.
    I posted once and really dont feel like posting again, im new at this forum page and no nothing about it, can you please email me at jbrannan80@yahoo.com with you questions it will really help me out here thank you