Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden Seeders

Posted by knight63 MI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 11, 10 at 12:02

Hello, I am looking to get a garden seeder, but I'm not realy sure what kind to get. The Precision seeder is the one that comes up most often. I've read reviews on it and about half of the people think its good and the other half think its bad, so I don't know what to decide. I have also looked at the old fashioned stab corn planters. Has anyone had expeirience with these? Are the precision seeders any good? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden Seeders

It depends on what you'll use it for and how much you'll use it. The stabber is ok but after a few long rows you might wish you had something else. The precision has the option of planting different sized seeds.

o

I have an Earthway which we've used for over 8 years and are very happy with it. I recently noticed that the price is $99.99 so it's a bit pricey. However, it does an excellent job. You have control over depth, width of rows, by virtue of the "marker."

$100 will buy a lot of produce when everyone's garden comes in, however if you're into gardening it's well worth it.

Disadvantage is that with small seeds, like lettuce, you might have to buy several packets of seeds to fill the hopper to the point that the "dipper/feed wheel" can dip in and deliver seeds to the chute for planting.

DO NOT buy the fertilize attachment as it doesn't work at the same time as you're planting seeds, separate operation altogether.

The basic unit comes with enough wheels for different sized seeds to satisfy everything we've planted. Some creativity may be needed.... :-) An optional set of additonal wheels is offered, we haven't needed them.

good luck,

Ev

o

Thanks for your advice. I have a gift card to a place that sells earthway seeders, so maybe ill try one out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here