Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will a 2 cycle engine run if the exhaust is 100% blocked?

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 12:12

Will a 2 cycle engine run if the exhaust is 100% blocked? My answer would be no but I had one I thought was 100% blocked (from appearance, feel, sound) that would run (Echo SRM-210 trimmer).

1. It would start easy, idle and run at low rpm. Naturally it had no high rpm or power.

2. The spark arrester was blocked 90% with very little light showing through it. The cover above the spark arrester was blocked solid with no light visible though it and a Bear To Clean (after soaking it in B-12 carb cleaner).

3. I feel some exhaust had to be coming out that I c/n see or feel. loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will a 2 cycle engine run if the exhaust is 100% blocked?

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 20, 11 at 15:37

They won't rev up when the spark arrestor is blocked. No, they can't run without exhausting.

The easiest way to clean the spark arrestor is to throw it away. The next best way is to heat it red hot with a propane torch, or even a good lighter. The resulting ash will easily fall off.

o
RE: Will a 2 cycle engine run if the exhaust is 100% blocked?

How do you explain a combustion engine running w/o exhausting? Will the gases go back into the crankcase past the rings and then where?

The use of heat on the spark arrestor is 100% faster and cheaper even if they are free. LOL. That made my day on the recent 2nd blocked arrestor. Just as good was the design for the arrestor to slide out vs bolts once the muffler guard/starter was removed. Just 4 bolts on the Poulan Pro Link Mod # PPB335, 33cc. Thanks! loger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here