Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Tree/ branch pruning tool for a homeowner

gwlolo
10 years ago

I am trying to figure out if there is a safe way for a homeowner to trim/ prune small branches and tree limbs. Especially if some of them are overhead. I am a petite woman of reasonable strength and use simple power tools regularly like sanders, circular saw etc. The arborist costs are really high in my area ($900 for a single chinese pisatache tree). Some trees like our heirloom apricot tree needs pruning once or twice a year to bear fruit. But I am not sure what is the safe way to do this.

Comments (12)

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Please post a pic of your tree. I feel the sizes of the trees and limbs to trim are key factors. Trees can be a big liability once they get large. I still do fair on our 35 yr old trees (with help if needed) if small limbs need removing with a pole saw (which is light and cuts quick. High and large limbs are hard to judge the actual size and if they will come down as planned. There should be some reasonable help if you know what needs trimming if the limbs are not too large.

Attached is the type I have had success with. Honestly, I feel it will be a challenge for a small lady vs a medium (6âÂÂ) size Male Yardman helper (at a reasonable cost).

Here is a link that might be useful: Manual Pole Pruner

• krnuttle
    10 years ago

There are small electric chain saws on a pole that can be used to trim trees. But again it depends on the size of the tree

• nod702
    10 years ago

I recently purchased a trimmer like Loger posted and was amazed at how well it worked. The one i purchased will extend to 16 feet. My rule of thumb is, "if i can't walk under a tree without knocking my cap off, it needs trimmed". I purchased mine at one of the big box stores.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

The small pole saws are nice (Remington etc from Big Box Stores). I found the big advantage of âÂÂcutting larger limbs from a distanceâÂÂ. I learned some lessons (with luck of not getting hurt) âÂÂcutting larger limbs from a distanceâÂÂ, which requires more experience and good judgments. I feel the length of use is including an average height also. Working from a distance at the needed angles away to be safe can put a strain on the body due to the sawâÂÂs head weight. I doubt you can âÂÂStress Safety And Good Judgmentsâ enough or it is too late. Such as: staying a safe distance and angle, staying off ladders and staying out of trees w/o experience.

Some will have the quick detachable small chainsaw from the pole, ideal for cutting-up trimmed limbs and firewood up to 10â dia with ease.

The work can look so easy but I Felt Nature Was Angry At Me At Times.

Here is a link that might be useful: Electric Pole Saw

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

Strange! I just received a call from my 80 + yr old friend (less than a mi) telling me his neighbor has an approx 9â dia pecan tree limb broken 20â high that touches the ground. I reminded him my younger legs etc are not as strong as his replacements. He says heâÂÂll study and put the limb on the ground if IâÂÂll take the limb. A Deal! Even though I keep telling him the wood and favors are not worth the danger. He might come in a Helicopter if needed to detach the limb to the ground vs his 40â ladder. Our old neighborhood is providing all the fire wood we once had to leave to find or purchase. The joke 35+ yrs ago, was, âÂÂif a tree was down close or reasonably close, I got a callâÂÂ.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

A new trend here in North TX is to ask the pros to put the limbs or tree on the ground. You work them from there if you want the trimming and etc on the curb for the CityâÂÂs weekly pickup (about a VWâÂÂs Cu Ft size 4â long of brush weekly). The monthly bulk pickup might be 4 VWâÂÂs Cu Ft and trunk wood vs just brush on the week designated. There are ways to save with the pros doing the dangerous work vs busy work.

• rcmoser
    10 years ago

I have the elect pole saw and it works great, but can get you in trouble real quick. Again as stated make sure you have angle so the bigger branches fall away from you. real small branches it tends to rip the branch rather than cut it. On those the manual with the pull rope cutting blade will probably work better. The elect. chain saw still has to be taken care of or it will turn into POS in no time... bar cover, bar, chain have to be cleaned, oil holes passages free, and the chain sharpen and adjusted properly just like the gas models.

• tom_nwnj
    10 years ago

I have one of those electric pole saws also. It really does work. If I use my 7' step ladder (leveled out well), gets up pretty high.

But it is on the heavy side (when extended).

• txtom50
    10 years ago

There's a YouTube video on pruning apricot trees that may be useful to you. Looks like most of the work on the tree in the video was done from the ground with just lopers and a pruning saw.

Here is a link that might be useful: Apricot Pruning

• robertz6
    10 years ago

I have each of the pictured products. In general is will be easier to hurt yourself or do damage, with the Rem pole saw. It weights more and is less well balanced.

But on the other hand, one can do much more, or at least faster, with it compared to the manual saw.

So the question is, are you a safe worker? How many times have you been injured? How many near accidents have you had? Ask your neighbors for their opinions. They know more about you than we on-line posters do.

• gwlolo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks you all for the input. I considered all of the advice here and decided it is not worth it for me to attempt this. I am going to look for a reasonably priced tree company.

• loger_gw
    10 years ago

We or I would like to see your tree if it's convenient to post it. Personally, I feel you are making a good decision, with the right to change my mind if I see the tree. LOL