Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caulk for Solar Dryer/Oven

Posted by robertz6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 13:58

I thought of making a Solar Dryer for my tomatoes. Reading suggests that electricity for store-bought ones runs up the actual cost quickly. In a few hours of reading up on the subject, other uses came to mind.

Making a high quality heating box, it might be possible to put it to three uses. Dryer, cooker, and window furnace in the winter.

One DIY type I saw on TV was a model using sand in soda cans. The maker said his temperature neared 400F.

I read all the labels at the big box store. Looking for a service range of 0-400 degrees F, could not find anything. Most tubes of caulk said nothing, one said it was suitable for -60to 250, and one said up to 150. Even the silicone stuff at $6.50 a tube did not appear to be suitable.

Any suggestions as to which type of caulk or other stuff to use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caulk for Solar Dryer/Oven

Perhaps the first time I answered my own question. I found just the right caulk at Ace Hardware. Usually prefer the True Value chain, but Ace had a black silicone, service temp -60 to 400F. Really nice labels on their line of caulking products, a square box with the important info inside. Fifty cents cheaper than the GE stuff I saw yesterday at WalMart.

Some important info one can't read because of the tiny print all the various warnings encourage.

o

Permatex makes a 600'f Rtv. Orange

o

I'll have to try the Permatex or something else. The black Ace Silicone worked better as a caulk than as a adhesive product. Might be OK on the wood seams, but on holding soda cans together, it didn't work very well.

One solar design used the cans forced together, without any glue or caulk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here