Return to the Tool Shed Forum

o
Craftsman garage door opener problem

Posted by papachick 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 05 at 14:26

I have a 1/2HP craftsman garage door opener and I just replaced the large plastic gear as well as the worm gear. After putting it all back together it will not go down more than 6 inches. Even when the door is not engaged it only travels down 6 inches (even when the door is engaged same thing). I made sure the infered eyes are aligned (and it was working perfectly before the gear went out). I have checked all the adjustments and the up adjustment works great but the down adjustment just doesn't do anything. It is not even close to touching but the door goes back up. The light is not blinking at all either. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can try next?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman garage door opener problem

I think that when you did the repair, you ended up out of sync with the limits. It sounds as though you need to reset the "down" limit control. Usually, on the side of the operator case, there are two small holes (1/4" diam) and they have arrows circling them.

One (rear hole, IIRC) is for the "UP" limit and the front one is the "DOWN" limit. By inserting a small straight blade screw driver and GENTLY rotating the limit in a counter-clock-wise direction, the operator should begin to increase the amount of downward travel. If this shows signs of working, then keep rotating this screw until the door reaches the floor.

One other option, would be to take one end of the chain off of the traveller (part that the door arm is attached to) and then off the drive sprocket on the operator head. Then slide the traveller all the way down the T-rail until the door is flat on the floor.

Put the chain back around the drive sprocket and reconnect it to the traveller. Adjust the tension of the chain so there is just slight sag in it and then test the operator. Make small adjustments in the limits (UP and DOWN) to suit your circumstance.

o

Thanks castoff for your response. I did adjust the up and down limits. The up works great but the down doesn't work at all. I can adjust the down as far as I want and it still just moves 6 inches then returns. Thanks.

o

There are also two other adjustments located on the rear of the operator. These regulate "UP" pressure and "DOWN" pressure that the motor can apply to the door. What troubles me here is that you say the lights don't flash when the operator returns to the UP position. You could try increasing the amount of down pressure just to see if this makes any difference at all. I don't think it will but it's worth the minor effort to try.

Other than that, I am at a loss here because you say that the photoeye is working 100 percent. If I were you, I would be checking over the wiring of the eye. Something is telling this operator to stop closing the door and to take it back up again.

This is the job of the eye and the down pressure control. Changing out that gear should have no effect on either of these safety devices. Get out your manual and recheck your wiring connections. There is some little thing you have missed here. Going back over it from step one of the installation procedure might be the wise thing to do.

Let me know how you made out.

o

papachick, did youl take the interrrupter cup off the end of the motor shaft? If the limit is against the up stop and the interrupter cup is off the door will not go do. AND vise versa if you werre try to bring the trolley up from the door end of the rail. If it were an optic sensor problem there would be clikcing from the light relay and the lights would flash. HTH Dave. ps reversal with no flash equals GDO thinks its obstructed. With door disconnected via trolley release physically obstucted would not be a factor.

o

thanks castoff but i have tried those adjustments also. they haven't worked.

o
RE: Craftsman garage door opener problem2

hi techdave and thanks for your input. i have the cup on the end of the shaft and it is not obstructed and is turning just fine. i just can't think of anything else to try. looks like i might have to give up and get a new one. thanks and let me know if you think of anything else.

papachick

o

Are you working on the opener with it in the "up" position?
One thing to try would be to pull the cog you replaced and then manually move the mechanism to the "down" (extended) position and replace the cog. For some reason the door is up and the opener thinks the door is down.

o

Ray, i have done that where i have started from the fully closed position (had to get there by tricking it) but when i hit the button it came back to the fully open position then returned to only moving 4 to 6 inches and forward and returning to the fully open position.

o

papachick, was this working perfectly b4 the stripped gear? Do you have a camera so you can post pics? If so I maaybe post pic of gdo with cover off and trolley in the all up position. would hate to see you buy new when it is probably simple oops. You said you tricked the door into going to the all down position. how did you do that? Also it is possible to damage the rpm sensor during removal, but if the inner trolley went to the all up spot on the rail from the all down spot then the interrupter circuits are probably ok. Turn the down force all the way up with the trolley disconn from door and see if the trolley will go down. HTH Dave ps sometimes the logic board dies and that is what kills the gear, espec if the door is in good balance and the gears are stripped. Good to test on off fxns with the limit assy b4 changing gears set. sorry dave.

o

Sounds similar to the problem I'm having with a 3/4HP Craftsman. We forgot to unplug the door opener after latching the garage door. When we got home from vacation we hit the garage door remote and ruined our door because I'd never set the door opening strength screw so it used the minimum pressure necessary.

We since have replaced the door, but when I hook up the door opener the door opens all the way to the stop. When I hit the remote again, all it does is flash the lights.

When I opened the motor units I found the central limiter screw popped out of it's carrier. So I popped it back in and tried again. Same thing. I took the central screw out and screwed the sensor all the way to the closed position. This time when I hit the remote, the motor engaged and turned the gears only about a quarter of the way up before flashing the lights again and stopping. I hit the remote again and same thing about another 1/4 way up. Same. Same. When the sensor got to the up limit sensor, it stopped, as it should. When I hit the remote again, nothing, just lights flashing. When I pulled the sensor away from the up limit sensor and hit the remote, the motor continued to try run to the up position.

So it's like the opener doesn't know to reverse direction. Does this sound like the logic board is fried? I have the electric eye sensors taped together, facing each other, and both lights on the sensors are lit, so it's not that.

Thanks much, in advance, for any advice.

o

ppater let's get on the same page and see if we can fix this. 'Sensors' are what you said you had taped together. I hope that is temporary and not the way you installed this opener. 'Contacts' are what the up and down limits are. Now, make sure the down limit contact is not touching the contact on that central limiter screw. Turn the 'up force' counterclockwise until it stops and then clockwise about 1/4 turn. One other thing that is confusing me is your comment about "lights flashing". What lights are these? Post back and we will get this thing going. Don

o

Thanks much for the response.

The lights flashing is the same behavior as if someone walks in front of the door and breaks the light beam of the electric eye sensor.

No, I don't normally have the the sensors taped together, but I wanted to eliminate that as a possibility while diagnosing the problem.

The down limit contact is at the other end of the range from where the central contact is now. The central contact is currently touching the up limit contact. When I hit the remote now, the flashing occurs (I can hear a relay clicking), and the motor does not start. I hit the remote again, same thing.

When I popped out the central limiter screw and turned it down to almost touching the down limiter screw, pop it back in, and then hit the remote, the motor turns (to lift the door), but then the central limiter only gets to about 1/4 of the way up the screw, no where near the up limit contact, and then the warning lights flash again. Hit the remote again and the motor runs again, in the smae direction, and central limiter gets another 1/4 of the way before the lights flash again and the motor shuts off. After 4 tries the central limiter contact contacts the upper contact, and the motor stops. But then I hit the remote again and the motor goes back to doing nothing, but the lights flash like the unit is trying to tell me something's wrong.

The motor never attempts to run in the reverse direction to close the door.

Again, thanks much for any suggestions.

o

ppatter you have me stumped but I have a big ace up my sleeve. Get the model number off your motor unit. It looks like 139.XXXXX and the model numbers off your remotes. Then call 1-800-528-5236. This is the number of the technical service representative at the manufacturer. It will probably help if you can be near the opener when you call. This is a number one first class company and they will help you if at all possible. If they are able to help you please post back the answer for the rest of us. Thanks, Don

o

Great! Thanks much, Don. I'll let you know.

o

According to the tech line, the problem with the garage door opener is a blown logic board. I'm ordering one today and if that doesn't work, I'll post the results.

Thanks again for the help.

o

• Posted by Colt z7 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 23:36

I have a 1/2 HP craftsman garage door opener that the chain does not move but I can hear the motor am I to assume that there is a worn out gear internal to the unit? HAve had much of a chance to look at it and get it fixed for our tenants before I may have to deploy.

o

Colt if you take the cover off the motor unit you will most probably find what looks like white sawdust on the bottom of that cover. Just in front of the motor is a white nylon gear. It has most likely failed. The part number is 41A2817 and is available from Sears or most local door service companies. I'm sure it comes with instructions but if you have any problems just post back and we will help you through the installation and adjustments.

o

Hello. I have a Craftsman 139.53991SRT 1/2 HP opener made in 12/02. It has been working fine for 18 months. It opens w/o a problem from both the remote and the wall mount and the keypad. When I try to close with any of these - it goes about 6 inches and retreats and the lights flash as if something's in the way. If I hold down the wall mount button it will go all the way to the ground - ditto for the keypad, but no dice with the remotes. I checked the eyes and one is green and the other is yellow - it appears to be aligned. The former owners did not leave a manual and I can't find any reference to this model # on any site. Suggestions?

o

Tweak those 'eyes' and see if you can't get them to both turn green. The only thing that will cause the problem you have is the 'eyes' (door sensors).

o

I have a similar problem that I hope someone can help with. When shutting the garage door using the wall switch I have to hold the button down until the door shuts. You can't just punch it and walk away. I figure this is just a setting that I need to change but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. Any suggestions? THANKS!

o

It isn't a setting. It is the sensors in the doorway. Make sure they are pointed directly at one another. Both should have green lights that are on steady - not flashing ever so slightly. Tweak them until they are both on.

o

I am also having a problem with my craftsman 1/2 hp opener. The safety beam has apparently stopped working and thus my door will not close. Is there any way to sort of 'short circuit' the connection so that the beam is taken out of the equation? There are three wire connections on the opener itself and I was unable to stumble upon a wiring pattern that would allow the door to close. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

o

There is no way to bypass the safety sensors.

o

Hello,
I have a problem with a 1/2 HP Craftsman also. Both sensors went out during Katrina (sending and receiving). I checked the wiring and it seems ok. Any suggestions on what to check for (I have a another garage door with the same opener that works ok)? Could it be a bad circuit board? PS: Trying to determine if this is related to the huricane so insurance could possibly cover it (had minor roof damage also). Thanks.

o

rstuddard, this does sound like a bad logic board. The receiving unit will not light unless it receives a signal from the sending unit. Lightning will certainly cause this problem along with a multitude of others. I would sure file a claim. The insurance company is going to be up to its rearend in alligators. I doubt if they will have time to quibble.

o

I want to verify the sensor wire placement on the back of my 1/2 hp Craftsman garage door opener. Could someone tell me where each gray and gray/white wire should go?
I see three screw points and they say the following:

1(Red)
2(White)
3(Black)

Thanks in advance!

o

The wires that come with the unit for the door sensors are white and white with a black tracer. The white wires go to the white terminal and the wires with the black tracer go to the black terminal. It sounds like someone has replaced the wiring to your sensors or the house was prewired for a door opener. You are going to need to do some experimenting. You might get a clue by looking near the sensors and see if the wires were spliced.

o

I have craftsman garage door , k727 , old model 139.18778 fcc id -hbw1d3469. I have lost the code for remote and it's not working . Is there any way to reset as I have no manual on this and is not there with local sears store. door can be opened with opner from inside the garge but remote is not opening the door. There is a nine pin chip inside which I think is for programming the remote . there are three buttons on this remote. One big and two small.

o

• Posted by
    lenny1-2mne
    (ldw@telus.net) on
    Sat, Nov 12, 05 at 12:02

I have a 1/2 hp craftsman garage opener. It seems there is a 'short' or something wrong with the main opener. Power comes on intermittently and sometimes stops partly up or down. A 'soft' bang on the motor seems to temporarliy fix the program. Is there a possibly circuit problem? I re-spliced the wires and checked all contacts and all is okay. Any suggestions would be great.

o

Hello,

I have a SEARS garage door opener of the following vintage:

Model # 139.53210
SEARS Craftsman 1/3 HP Garage Door
Date: 5/1998

Here's the problem. When I push the button, the door goes down 4 inches or so, and then immediately goes back up 4 inches. This happens regardless of whether the door is engaged or not. This also happens regardless of the settings on the limit switch or the UP / DOWN force screws.

Thinking the limit switch could be bad, I replaced it with a new part. It had no effect.

I can get the door down by quickly hitting the button at the moment of reversal. It will go down another 4 inches. Repeating this technique I can get the door closed. Once the door is closed, when it tries to go up, it will go down again (reversing).

The next hint I got was that it could be the RPM sensor malfunctioning. (http://home.comcast.net/~froarty572/openfaq.htm#2)

I'd like to be sure, and Sears is no help whatsoever. I can't even download a manual. (Though they'll happily order one for me).

Any ideas?

o

Chris everything you say tells me the sensors in the doorway are not aligned. They must be pointed directly at each other and the lights on each one must be on and not flickering. What confuses me is you say the door reverses when it is going up. This just doesn't happen. Align those sensors and let me know.

o

Thanks for the reply Don.

My garage door opener does not appear to have sensors. It is from 1998 (according to the label) so I would have thought it would, but it doesn't. Or I am blind. I have looked in the doorway between the rails. There is nothing that has a light or anything.

I should clarify exactly what happens as my previous post seems a little confusing:

When the garage door is closed and engaged:
If I press the button, the door goes up about 4-6 inches, then reverses. I can trick it by quickly hitting the buinchestton as it is about to reverse. Then I press it again, and the door will go up another 4-6 inches, stop, and then reverse 4-6 inches and stop (partially up). It does not go all the way down to the ground.

This happens regardless of whether the door is engaged or not, as I was wondering if the weight of the door was causing the issue.

When the door is all the way up and engaged:
Pressing the button causes the door to go down 4-6 inches, then come back up. I can do the same trick as before and quickly press the button as the door is about to reverse. Then the door goes down another 4-6 inches, then reverses back 4-6 inches and stops.

I hope this clarifies it.

o

chrisgon, is your opener a Craftsman? If it's a 1998 it must have door sensors and they should be quite obvious near the bottom on each side of the garage door. Has this opener ever worked for you? Did you just buy this house? I am puzzled but I want to help. If you can, include the model number.

o

Hi Don.

Model # 139.53210
SEARS Craftsman 1/3 HP Garage Door
Date: 5/1998

This information comes from the metal housing of the motor assembly.

The garage door opener worked for 4 years until now (we inherited it when we bought the house). Even now it will very occassionally work, i.e travel all the way without stopping.

I have looked all over for sensors and can find none. I would have thought that 1998 vintage would have had sensors too. Is it possible that the previous owner did not install them?

o

The model number you list does not have the door sensors. The sensors came out in 1991 so there is something wrong with that date. One thing it is not is the RPM sensor. That part works only when the door is closing and your description is in both directions. Let's go back to the up and down force adjustments. Turn them all the way counterclockwise and then increase them both about turn. Try the door and increase these adjustments slightly if needed. If you haven't done so yet, take the cover off a look at the drive gear right in front of the motor. It is white nylon. Make sure the teeth are all there and there is no white sawdust like stuff inside there. We are on the trail of something.

o

Hi Don,

Thanks again for your help.

I turned the force adjustments all the way down as you instructed, and then applied a 1/4 turn increase. The garage door is not engaged at this point, so the "carriage" is moving freely along the track. It still goes down 4-6 inches and then reverses back up 4-6 inches.

I had the cover off from before when I replaced the limit switch. I inspected the drive gear and it looks like it is in good shape. All the teeth are making good contact and nothing is overly dirty.

There does not appear to be any sawdust-like particles anywhere within the housing.

Any ideas?

o

My Craftsman garage door opener open and closes the door when no control buttons have been pressed. Last Sat. my door closed 4 times by itself while I was in the garage working in the span of about 1 hour. Another time we came home to find the garage door open. We had been gone about 2 hours. My wife and I were 100% sure the door was compelely down and had stopped moving before we drove away. This door opener is only 6 months old and has the rolling code technology. Has anyone had any similar problems.

o

chrisgon from your last post I get the impression that you door will open okay but will not close. If this is true then you most probably do have a problem with with the RPM sensor. Due to the age of your opener I would be very leary of spending too much money. It may be too late for that though.

o
RE: Craftsman door opener problem

mmyork did you have an opener before you got this one and if so is it possible you have an old remote laying around somewhere in the garage. If yes, remove the battery. If no, then there is a chance the wires from the wall button may be bad. You can eliminate this by temporarily disconnecting those wires from the back of the motor unit. They will be connected to terminals 1 and 2. One is solid white and the other is white with a black tracer. Remember where they go. Let us know.

o

I have a Sears 1/2 hp garage door opener, that when you open or close the door, the light will not go off. I do not see any adjustment. I can use the door and have taken the bulb out. Any ideas?

o

Don Thanks for the reply
I do have a old remote control from an old opener I will remove the battery and see what happens. Since this problem is intermittent time will tell. This opener has a lock feature on it which when activated disables any remote signals from opening the door. When in "lock mode" the door has never opened or closed on it's own. But then my remotes can't open the door either

o

I recently acquired a Craftsman gdo (1/2 hp, model 53615) at a garage sale. I'm not familiar with them, and not sure I got everything. I want to purchase a remote and from info on the internet found it should be model 53778. I don't see any way to change/set the code inside the unit. Is an external piece of equipment needed or are codes set in the remote? (I don't think so.) Any info would be appreciated. Thanx.

o

Contacted Craftsman tech center today about the door that goes up and down by itself. They said to clear the memory and reprogram the remote controls. I will try that also and see what happens.

o

My garage door will only open about 40%. It appears to be hung when the chain links to the wire and then during opening get hung on the mechanism that has the manual pull-string in it. I adjusted the up force as suggested in above post, but this did not help. Any suggestions?

o

Tscotty, if you release the opener by pulling down on the rope with the red handle does the opener operate okay without the weight of the door? Make sure all the bolts in the T-rail are tight and the two sections are even so that the trolley (that mechanism that has the manual pull-string) isn't getting caught on it. Let us know we will keep trying to help.

o

both of my craftsman openers quit tonite. The motors run but nothing moves. Any help out there?

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 hp with the gears almost all chewed away. How do I order a new gear shaft or motor, or should I just install a new unit? How much is the new gears? thanks, Greg.

o

Why are all you guys posting on the end of pachicks question instead of starting yyour own??

Long threads load slower, limit the ability of people on dial up to answer your questions, and make it harder for casual readers to learn from each individual problem.

No grind, just wondering why you gdo posters are doing this much more so than say, tractor posters. KUDOS to Don for giving you all A1 info!!!!!!!!

o

docdawg, pull off the covers and check the drive gear. Why it would happen to both openers at the same time is eerie. While you are at it, pull the safety release and lift each door manually to see how heavy they have become. This could cause the problem.

Gfire the part number for that gear is 41A2817. I don't know the price but it is available at any good door opener company and comes with instructions. If your opener is over 10 years old I would recommend replacing it.

techdave, Thanks, Don

o

I purchased my Craftsman garage door opener in 2002 and it has been working fine. The remote range suddenly droped to 1 - 2 feet in the last two weeks. I tried changing batteries and reset both remotes, but problem still persist. What should I do?

o

My Craftsman 1/2HP garage door opener will only open the door about 4 inches and then it stops and stays there. When I close the door it closes and then automatically reverses and opens the 4 inches again. Each time I close the door it repeats this cycle. One censor light is a solid green but the other is solid yellow. I cannot get the light to turn green even though they are perfectly lined up. I have no owners manual as the previous owners did not leave it. Any Thoughts?

o

It sounds like you may have a broken spring. Some are directly above the door and some are on each side. I would suspect yours is above the door. What happens is the door is too heavy for the opener and it just stops. When you press the button again the door goes down, hits the floor and the safety takes over and tries to open the door. It stops again when it reaches that point where the door is the heaviest. Let us know what you find.

o

Gfire69;

Go to www3sears.com -- type model number hit go - continue if it finds your search-- this should come back with Model Search results select view diagram chassis assembly , look at the diagram and get the diagram reference number of the part, reseletc View part list for the chassis assembly , hit continue, now You will see the part numbers & names---

On the left hand side of the page select Store Locator, enter zipcode and your address + select the Service Center and Repair Dropoffs--- this will give a list of closest places that you can obtain parts.

Per Don's comment ;;

Example model 13953515SR Craftsman Garage door opener the DRIVE AND WORM GEAR KIT is Part number 41A2817-- cost at the Sears Home Central Parts and Repair Center is $20.99 and tax , if you pick it up, if they mail the package Sears will charge $15.00 or more depending on the distance I believe.

This above Plastic piece of Crap has done me twice in 10 years- Now back to my troubles ;

fixing the traveler arm-- why do things break down in Winter ???

Tadeusz in Orland Park,ill -- more snow on the way, temps in upper 20's.

o

Thanks for the reply Don, you were correct, one of the springs had broken. I had the springs replaced and it works great. One of the sensor lights is still yellow, but it is working so I am not worried about that. Thanks for your help again!

o

I have a quick question...(I think I know what the problem is from reading above - but just thought I'd ask):

Only when it is cold during the winter, my garage door opens about 2 feet and stops. I can still get it to go up by stopping it quickly (down) and starting it quickly (up) but it is a pain and I'm sure it is not good for the machine/system. I am asuming that I have bad springs (need new springs) but just thought I'd ask.

Thanks and if I do need new springs will I be able to install it myself?

Thanks and Happy Holidays - Greg

o

denverhokie, you may not have a broken spring. You may just need to increase the up force on your opener. If it's a Craftsman, you will find the control on the end where all those white wires go. Turn it a quarter turn and try it. Do not adjust the down force as this affects the safety. If you should have a broken spring you might be able to replace it depending on the type. If it is one or two springs directly above the door that turn as the door opens I would leave that to an expert. Also if you should have a broken spring, replace them all - not just the one that is broken.

o

Regarding worn plastic gears:

What causes the gears to get stripped? Do they just get worn out, or is there an underlying problem I need to fix before I fix the gear? My plastic gears were stripped tonight and I had the torsion springs replaced a few weeks ago, so I'm suspicious that something has changed. I also increased the force in both directions because I had some intermittent problems with the door failing to open and close completely. If I increase the force too much, would that lead to a stripped gear? What about a door that's out of balance?

Thoughts are appreciated!

o

Don, I have a craftsman garage opener, 1/2 hp. I replaced the battery on one of the remotes. but now when I program that remote the other remote stops working, and Visa-Versa. What do I need to do to keep them both to stay programed?

Thanks,
Joe

o

Joe, one of your remotes has reverted to an older technology. You need to purchase a new remote. Make sure you have the model number or take the remotes with you. When you get the new remote you will need to program them. Keep the two that work and throw the other one away to prevent future headaches.

o

My gear failed tonight (plastic shavings inside). It is a 1/2HP Sears model 41A3621. House was built Jan 1990, so I guess it's not worth fixing. The local door company in CNY replaced the lower door panel, but did not adjust the springs correctly about 4 years ago. The door was a little heavy to lift manually, and slammed down when lowered automatically. The opener therefore had to work hard to lift it. I bet that is why others fail - the door gets replaced or adjusted, making the opener work too hard.

Do new models have plastic/nylon gears? I was shocked to find those in there!

o

Eric you are absolutely right about the gear failing due to problems with the door. No one thinks to occasionally lift the door by hand. The gear is made of nylon to cut down on noise and if the door is properly maintained the gear will last as long as the rest of the opener.

o

I bought the new gear kit and managed to install it. I've been working on the darn thing for 3-4 hours now. I figured I'd try to fix it, and if it was too difficult to take apart, I'd buy a new one instead and return the parts (too late now!).

When the gears failed, the motor was running. I hit the remote to stop it, but did not unplug it until tonight. I was confident the electronics were OK since the motor was running (as expected) until I hit the control.

I am pretty sure I could hear the hum of the transformer before I unplugged the unit tonight. Now that I did all that work, the thing will not power on - arg! I do not hear any buz from the transformer, and can not even get the light to come on. The control unit on the wall is also unlit (it is hard wired, not wireless). The outlet is fine (I connected my worklight into it and it worked).

I tried the yellow button on the back of the unit - I assume it is a reset switch? The error light on the circuit board is unlit.

I am pretty sure I reconnected the wires correctly - red futher away on the capacitor, and blue closer. One blue wire was darker, and I am sure it is where it was. I tried swapping the two red wires.

The RPM sensor has 4 pins and they are labelled, so that should be connected OK, and I find it hard to believe that would cause these symptoms anyhow.

o

Finally figured out why I had no power. I labelled the wires, but labelled them wrong. Geesh. I'm way too tired. I had swapped the white and black where the power comes down through the unit.

Now I need to adjust the down limit - the door went down all the way and then came back up as if it hit something. I'm unsure if I just it so the limit is reached right before it hits the ground and when the RPM hits zero, the motor is stopped?

I also need to adjust the springs, but am not 100% sure how. It takes 30-60 lbs to lift the door. They are 15 years old and somewhat rusty, but 99% if the metal is still there, so I'm thinking they are OK.

o

Thanks for helping me out Don!

Yes, I do have a 1/2 hp Craftsman and I cranked-up the up force control like you recommended. I think it worked, except it did stop on me once. Anyways, I will keep an eye on it and hopefully this is the end of this saga...

Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Greg

o

WOW!! Am i glad i never got one of those GDO's!! I have a commercial type wooden door, 12' wide, and it was used! I installed it myself, including the springs, tracks, everything! I can lift it with one hand! And, it has been that way for 20 some years! WHEW! All that trouble I have avoided! I think some of you folks need to exercise yer bods, instead of yer fingers,what with typing all those questions, and replies! I have seen some doors that are way lighter than mine, and folks have openers on them! What a waste of good exercise!!
Rustyj

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2hp dated 1994. The other day, upon hitting the garage door button, the motor engaged, but the chain was not moving. I have tried it after releasing the door and it still will not move the chain even without the door attached. There are springs on both sides of the door and they appear intact. Any help is much appreciated!!
Dave

o

I just discovered that the big plastic gear in my Craftsman 1/2 hp opener (3-4 years old?) just lost all of its teeth one night after it failed to open the door. I'm wondering if this is a sign of something more serious or if this is just the life span of the gear. I did disconnect the opener and the wood core door (which is a bit heavy) doesn't seem to be any more difficult to open than it was before....

o

• Posted by don_ null (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 9, 06 at 11:14

That nylon gear bears the full weight of the door when opening or closing. A rule of thumb is if the door is heavy to you it is heavy to the opener. 3 - 4 years is not the normal life span of that gear. I would suspect the door.

o

help please. Installed the gear kit last night and now the door opens about 6 inches reverses for about 6 inches then stops. plus when the door is in the closed position, the opener is pushing the door down instead of pulling it up (door position and opener aren't in sync). any thoughts?

o

• Posted by don_ null (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 9, 06 at 13:46

Loosen the chain at the trolley and remove it from the small sprocket on top of the motor unit. Run the unit until the sprocket has turned counterclockwise and stopped. This is the open door position for the motor unit. With the door in the open position replace the chain and tighten. You may have to make minor adjustments to the up and down limits on the side of the motor unit. Do not over tighten the chain. It should sag a little when the door is closed. If it is overtightened you will hear a clicking noise when it is moving.

o

Thanks for your help Don. I will try it and see what happens.

o

I have just tried to program a replacement remote door opener for a model 139.18616sr. This is the only remote I have. The wall unit works fine. I have follwed the instructions for a garage door opener with receiver SR code button. It works fine for 2-3 times and then the door will only close maybe 6 inches. If I start from the closed position it will only open 6 inches. I have adjusted the up and down force and that makes it so the door will open and/or close once and then go back to only working for 6 inches. The wall unit still works fine. HELP PLEASE. Sorry for not putting this in a new post but I am not sure where to do that.
Thank you

o

quedee, you have a strange problem. Call this number and explain your problem to them. Have the model number of the motor unit and the remote. 1-800-528-5236. This is the number for the technical representative of the manufacturer. They will help you. If you can be near the opener when you call it sometimes helps.

o

Thank you very much Don !!!!

o

Hi don. Ok so i tried your solution on my gear replacement issue above and it appeared to work. Now the problem is that it will only go up when i have upward force dialed at the max. as for the down, it went down with max force only on sat, then on sunday it would only go down about 3-5 inches at a time at the max setting. any thoughts?

o

kurtzj, at this point I think you need to release the opener from the door and see how heavy that door is. Try lifting and lowering it by hand and see. You may have a broken spring or some other problem that caused the gear to fail in the first place. I think we need to look beyond the opener at this point.

o

thanks for the response Don. I have been opening and shutting the door manually and the door itself doesnt seem that heavy. when it is in the closed position the door will slide back up and rest about a foot off the ground. also, when opening and closing the door doesnt appear to slide/glide smoothly (not too bad just something i noticed).

o

When your door is closed it should remain closed. The fact that it slides back up a foot is a sure indication that there is a problem. I think you need a door man at this point.

o
RE: punch pad code lost

bought a new home and wasnt givin a password for the g-door outside keypad how do i reset without the original code?

o

On the back of the motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find a button. Press and immediately release it and then enter any 4 digit code of your choice on the keypad and press enter. Should do it.

o

I have a Model 139.53662SRT door opener that just quit working. Even the lights will not come on. When I removed the covers I could not detect any unusual problems visually. I removed the bell wires from #1 and #2 terminals and shorted acrossed them and could hear a clicking sound. If I repeated this it would click repeatedly like when there was a problem when working properly. The motor is free moving as is the chain. Any suggestions?

o

Sounds like you have a problem with your logic board. It is the opposite side of the board that terminals 1 and 2 are part of. Try removing it and looking for burned or missing traces. These can be repaired if this turns out to be your problem. Be sure to disconnect the power before doing this.

o

Hi all. I got a 1/2 hp opener with a toasted worm gear also. Ok heres what I did, I bought a new 1/2 Hp and thought i could just hook up unit and use existing track, chain, wires, etc. Door goes up and down ok with main pad on wall but wont reprogram with old keypad, car openers an also will open for no reason in middle of the night lol. My question is should I hook all the new hardware up with new unit or take new unit back and fix worm gear and use what I got? Would rather take new back if the install of new gear isnt too bad. Thanks all.

o

Thanks for the input Don. I will see if I can remove the board and see it there is a problem. I may have to come back.

o
Bypassing Limit Switch on Garage Door Opener

I have a 1/2 hp opener that I am using to drive a sliding gate. My father in law put two roller arm limit switch's on each end. Then he connected the Yellow brown and grey switch. Well, the Wires came off, and I cant figure out the pattern. Looking for some EE help.
Each Switch has two wires.

Should i take one wire from each and connect both to the grey. and then take the yellow to one switch and the brown to another switch?

Thanks in advance

o

eaglerc2001, The grey wire should go to 1 of the terminals on both switches. The yellow wire should go to the switch that stops the opener when the gate is open and the brown wire to the switch that stops the opener when the gate is closed. The yellow and brown wires may need to be switched depending on the orientation of the motor.

o
remotes do not work!

Hello, I have a Craftsman screw drive garage door opener that is mechanically sound. However my remotes or the key pad outside do not work. I have tried to reprogram the remotes according to the manufacturers specifications but no response. Do you have any ideas as to my potential quick fix or is it more detailed? Thanks for any help.
John

o

If both the remotes and the keypad quit it is the receiver that has quit. You can get the model number off the motor unit and go to sears.com, click on parts and find out what the part is selling for. The part you need is called a logic board. They are not cheap. Your other option is to go to either Sears or Radio Shack and purchase a universal receiver kit. I'm pretty sure your existing keypad will work with the Sears kit but I know nothing about the Radio Shack kit.

o

I have purchased a Craftsman garage door opener 139 53615SR. I do not have wiring directions. On the back of the unit I have terminals marked red, wht, blk and yel. Can you tell me how these should be connected and if this unit should have an electric eye?

o

The wall button wires go to the red and white terminals. The black and yellow are not used unless you also got the hard wired keypad. This unit does not have the door sensors and is not recommended if you have children or pets.

o

I purchased a Craftsman 1/2 hp garage opener marked 5/96 on it for a senior design project. I'm using to to open and close a remote controlled house door. The problem I'm having is the eyes. The opener didn't come with them and I have no use for them in the project, so is there a way to use the opener without them? Another guy in my group was going to try to short them out, but I figured I'd ask here first before frying the board.

o

There is absolutely no way to get around using the sensors. The unit was specifically designed that way. Why don't you check around with the local door opener companies, explain your situation and see if you can't get a pair cheap? They usually have old openers they have changed out.

o

There isn't even a way to modify the board to allow use without them? The guys in my group are electrical engineers and they think they have a way to wire around them but I still wanted to check. It would just be one less thing to worry about.

o

They are free to try of course. I don't think they will hurt anything unless they start applying large voltages. The problem you have is the logic board is looking for a signal not a voltage.

o

Used info on this site to help me replace my drive gear. Ran into problem where door sproket would turn clockwise for a few secs, then spin back. Came to the site and learned about the RPM sensor (pretty cool), and remembered that I didn't reconnect the wires to it (duh!). However that apparently wasn't the only problem (crap!). I cleaned the sensor, still no luck (rats!). Then I noticed the little green light on the eye sensors were not lit (ah ha!). I had connected the wires leading into the opener to the wrong leads (finally!).
Total time: 2 hrs 45 minutes (could have been 1.5 hrs)

Anyway, this site was a big help.

o
Craftsman Doors Possessed !!

Hi,
I started having troubles with one of my doors last Friday. The remote wouldn't work. The next day, my other door began to open and close on it's own. I found out today that there are 3 other homes next to me that have been having the same troubles.... romotes stop working, or doors open and close on their own. I hope someone has some ideas here .... it's too weird !
Thanks,
Bob

o

I am in the process of a divorce and need to know how to reprogram my garage door opener - Craftsman 1/2 HP, model 139.53964SRT 12/99...Please, thank you.

o

On the back of the motor unit near where all those white wires go you will find a button. Press and hold this for 6 seconds. This will erase the memory and none of your remotes will work. But here is where it gets hairy. Chances are both your remote and hers were set with exactly the same code at the factory. So if you reprogram yours you will also be reprogramming hers. The best bet is to erase the memory and purchase a new remote for yourself. Don't use the old one. To program the new remote you need to hold the button down on the remote and then press and immediately release the button on the motor unit. If you have a keypad, press and immediately release the button on the motor unit and then walk over and input a new 4 digit PIN and press enter. Hope this helps you.

o
RE: Crazy door openers

bob zat here is a web site that may explain the problem you and your neighbors are having.

http://www.ioerror.us/2005/12/03/garage-door-openers-go-crazy-over-new-military-radio-system/

o

For you folks who are having a problem next to the military base. Rather than junking an opener that is only a few years old you can replace you existing receiver with this new 315 MHz receiver and remote control.
http://www.aaaremotes.com/liungadooppl.html

o

jolly19's message is very misleading. What he is recommending doesn't replace your existing receiver. In fact your receiver will still receive those signals that are causing the opener to do crazy things. This unit is recommended on older openers when the electronic components are no longer available.

o
RE: Crazy door openers

Don,
Very interesting .... one of the neighbors with the problem (and in the center of us all) is some type of officer in the military. He drives a government vehicle and I think he just returned from somewhere as I saw him come in with his uniform on. Might he have some type of military transmitter at home ?
Thanks,
Bob

o

Sorry I left out a step, hold in the orange button on the old board for 20 sec. this will erase the old remote codes install the upgrade and you will be all set.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage door opener model# 139.53977SRT. The door would close 6 inches to 2 feet but would then reverse and the light would blink. After reading this forum I was able to figure out that the light only blinks if the beam between the 2 eyes is interrupted. I checked the eyes, wiped off the lenses and realigned them. I was initially concerned because one LED was yellow and one was green, but I tried it anyway and it works great. The yellow LED eye transmits an infrared beam and the green LED eye receives it. So if you are have a similar unit with this problem make sure the green eye LED is on constantly. It is normal for the transmitting eye to have a yellow LED.

o
new Craftsman problem with rail

Hi I just installed a new 3/4 belt drive model 139-18489
After connecting the 5 rail pieces together on a flat surface, I noticed that the rail seemed a bit twisted/warped. The manual didnt' say anything about this, so I continued on. After assembling the whole thing and testing it out, I find that the door briefly starts to lift, but the rail bends/bows a lot downwards and then stops. It looks like the trolley is stuck at the seam between the front section and the next. This causes the door to pe pulled inward at the top/center. I then have to manually release it.

The door does open manually pretty easily and it balances at the halfway point. The sensors are aimed ok, the sender is steady orange and the receiver is steady green as per what the manual says is should be.

Any ideas?

o

I would call Sears. You certainly could have gotten a bad rail.

o

Thx Don, I called them last night. I also called them back today and was suggested I take the track back to Sears or I can wait up to 10 days for new one from Arizona.

FYI....Looks like Sears has outsourced support for GDO's to Chamberlain.

Sears: 1-888-528-7871
Chamberlain: 1-888-528-5880

I also suspect that the taped message yesterday gives this away. It went something like" Thank-you for calling Chamberlain .....we're closed to allow time off for our employees this easter holiday" I called back to make sure it said Chamberlain and not Craftsman...I wasn't hearing things. Today the greeting states Craftsman.

rob

o

artyr, I think what you got was the telephone number for Chamberlains Technical Support Representative for Sears branded openers. Chamberlain is the manufacturer. It can be confusing. I think Sears is who you want to talk to in this instance though.

o

Thx Don, it's the Sear's number (7871)I called and got the Chamberlain message on. I posted other Chamberlain number as found on the Chamberlain site. Not important anyhow, I was told to contact nearest store for assistance and arrange for a new main rail.

Can 1 piece (8ft rails) be found? I would think these are sturdier and straighter perhaps?

thx, rob

o

Rob you asked me a question that I can't answer. My understanding is that Chamberlain makes the multiple piece rail for Sears to facilitate shipping but makes a one piece rail for the Liftmaster series they sell. Liftmaster is the brand they make for their franchised dealers. You could go to your yellow pages for Liftmaster dealers and check this out.

o

Where are the dip switches on a typical Craftsman opener? I've had both end covers off and can't find them.

o

To thatguyo1 how old is the opener, you may not have dip switches.

o

The dip switches are right to the left of where all those white wires go. What is the problem you are having?

o

Thanks for the responses.

Everything is normal, except my remote stopped working. I installed a new battery, and no change. I'm concerned that I jostled the dip switches in the remote while changing the battery, so I want to check the switch positions before I buy a new remote; in any case, I need to know the right settings to use a new remote.

IIRC, the opener is dated 1990.

o

I have a Craftsman 1/2 HP opener. When I try to close the door it gets to about 6 inches off the ground and reverses back up. Then the light flashes. I thought that this would be due to blocked sensors, but the sensors are clean with a clear, steady green signal light. I can "trick" the door into closing by hitting the button as it begins to reverse to stop it, then press again to get it fully closed. I need help, please.

o

Good morning. I have just purchased a home. I have a 1/2 horespower Craftsman garage door opener. The previous owner was not able to program the remote. I have tried and tried to re-prgram the remote from the instructions on the back. It says to push a button and the green light will flash, but when I puch it, the green light comes on and stays on, it does not just flash, so it will not program any remotes. Also, I know it must an old garage door opener because it does not have the codes on it to program the remote. Can anyone help? I am stuck. Thanks.

o

If you are pressing and immediately releasing the smart/learn button on the back of the motor unit while holding the button down on your remote and the opener does not react you have a bad logic board. A new opener is your best option.

o

Thanks for the responses. It appears I have a dud remote.

o

Can you see how hard it is to follow the requests for help.

PLEASE START YOUR OWN POST. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS.

o

How do you get two remotes to work. I have tried to go by the directions, but only one will work the other overrides the code on the other everytime. Can you help me?

o
RE: Help Craftsmen Garage door not closing

I have a craftsmen garage door 1/2 hp that is not closing correctly

I though it was a sensor problem since one of the sensors did not have it's LED light.

So I went out and purchased two new sensors installed/aligned then according to the instructions strangely enough I need not see an orange light on the emitter. Both lights are currently solid green but the door will not close automatically.

If someone can help that would be great because I am sell the house and this is the only item that is not working

I am a little new to this webpage to if you reply please send a copy of your response to me via e-mail

o

The sensors on my garage door started to not line up... after trying to realing I took them off the track and taped them together facing eachother and put them ontop of the opener. ocassionally the cables that plug into the opener will touch eachother and my remotes don't work, but I just have to wiggle them and make sure they don't touch and it works fine.

o

I have a craftsman hp and it is not closing correctly. I inherited it with the house, dont have manual, and it appears to be 1993 vintage. It has worked fine for more than a decade, but a few weeks back started to act up. I reviewed a few of the other posts here and tried the suggestions: sensors are green, ensured bolts and fittings are tight and lubricated hinges, rollers, and such. There was a similar issue: posted by GRMNJM on 8/28/05. If I hold down the wall switch it goes down. If I try the remote, keypad, or let go of wall switch it reverses and the light blinks 10 times. Any thoughts?

o

Check the sensors in the door. They have probably been bumped and are not pointing at one another. Make sure each one has a small light that is lit and not flickering.

o

I HAVE A 1/2 HP SEARS OPENER ABOUT TWO YEARS OLD. IT JUST STOPPED WORKING. SENSORS ARE YELLOW ON ONE AND GREEN ON OTHER IF YOU WALK THORUGH BEAM IT DOES NOT TURN ON LIGHTS, BUT REMOTE DOES, AND OPENER DOES NOT RESPOND AT ALL. THE PROGRAMMING LIGHT ON THE UNIT JUST BLINKS LIKE 5 OR SIX TIMES THEN GOES OFF AND THEN BLINKS AGAIN. ANY SUGESTIONS ??????

o

Is your door opener stuck in the open position? If so check to see if the trolley (the thing the door is hooked to) is jammed against a bolt in front of the motor unit. If so, remove the bolt and then turn the 'up limit' on the side of the motor about 3 turns in the opposite direction of the arrow printed on the cover.

o

I have a 1/2 hp Craftsman gdo that will work occasionally, but not always. When it works, it works from both remote transmitter and wall control. I took the cover off and noticed the capacitor got extremely hot and even saw smoke after running a few times. Do you think replacing the capacitor would fix my problem? Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Jon

o

I have a 1/2 Craftsmen 139.53973SRT that was here when we bought the house over 2 years ago. Had the springs replaced over a year ago and the door is easy to open when in "manual mode". On Saturday, hit the opener from the outside and heard a loud thud, the door did not open. Went inside to find out that the chain had come off the sprocket. After a couple of hours figuring out how to get the chain back on the sprocket and the sensors adjusted, looked like everything was working correctly. Door went up and down without any problems.

This morning I used the outside opener again and the same thing happened. Loud thud and the chain came off the sprocket.

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks. Mark

o

I have a 3/4hp Craftsmen 139.5399011 manufactured in '05. I'm looking for the wiring color order for the low voltage harness connected to the logic board. The connector has 5 colors: yellow, brown, white, purple, and grey. The connector can actually accept 6 wires so with that in mind: 4 pins, 1 space, and the other solo color. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

o

We just boought a new house, but the gradge door opener is not working. How can set it up to work.
Thanks

o

I am duplicating most of this from a prevoius post since it duplicates my problem. I have a 1/2HP craftsman garage door opener and I just replaced the large plastic gear as well as the worm gear. After putting it all back together it will not go down more than 6 inches. Even when the door is not engaged it only travels down 6 inches. I have not tried to engage the door since the instructions say to only do this when in full down position, which I cannot seem to have happen. I made sure the infered eyes are aligned (and it was working perfectly before the gear went out). I have checked all the adjustments and the up adjustment works great but the down adjustment just doesn't do anything. It is not even close to touching but the door goes back up. The lights are not blinking at all either, indicating no problem with the sensors. The error code blinks five times indicating no rpm being sensed, but as I said, everything worked before I replaced the gears and worm drive. Does anyone have a suggestion on what I can try next?

o

I have a 1/2 HP Craftsman garage door opener, model 139.53674SRT1. The unit will go up and down for a few seconds at a time. I have adjusted the KG for the up and down force and also the distance travelled rotary buttons on the left side of the opener. I have also verified the safety electric eyes are working and properly aligned. What could be causing this thing to be not travelling the complete distance set by the switches?

o

Please verify if it will go up for a few seconds or go down for a few seconds. Or is it starting down and then reversing? Post back.

o

The door is not attached at the moment, but the drive goes clockwise (down) about 6" (a few seconds) and then immediately reverses for a few seconds. The fault indicator light blinks 5 times. This only started to happen after replacing the gear drive and worm gear.

o

Thanks for the reply... the garage door will start down for a few seconds and then reverse. I checked the limit switches (left side plastic limiters) to make sure they are adjusted for enough travel and the switch doesn't even get near the bottom limit switch that should shut it off. I also have the KG for down and up adjusted to the setting of 9. Thanks for the help.

o

adjaeger On the front of the motor shaft there is a black plastic interruptor cup. Make sure you replaced it after replacing the gear and make sure it is pushed all the way onto the motor shaft.

tonywayne It sounds like your door sensors may not be aligned properly. Make sure they are pointed at one another and the small light on each one is lit and not blinking.

o

don...I did replace the interruptor cup. The only way that it could further in is if I attach the outer metal piece tighter by pushing a little more on the curved washer. It is fairly tight, but not all the way in.(..and I mean only a fraction of a mm.) There is still a slight "spring" action against the curved washer. Should I press this as tight as possible?

o

The interruptor cup needs to run between 2 small squares on the PC board. The "small squares" are actually an infrared sender and receiver. As long as the beam between these is continually being interrupted the motor will run until it reaches the limit switches. If that beam is not being interrupted the logic board senses the door has hit something and turns the motor off. There is a quick disconnect on that PC board with 4 wires. Make sure it is connected securely. There is also the possibility the infrared sensor has quit.

o

Last night i opened the garrage door and it will not go back down. The sensers are one yellow and one dead no light - cable looks ok. when try to close from outside keypad the unit just clicks, and the learn button blinks 3 times over and over.
Do you think that this could be a senser problem or a logic board problem.

o

The 3 blink code is for a shorted wall control. Easiest way to confirm this is to remove the wires from the wall control to the motor unit. They are connected to terminals 1 and 2. Remember which wire went where. Let me know if this helps you or if not.

o

I removed the wires to terminal 1 and 2
Now I get a 1 blink code?

o

don - Sorry, I haven't posted for a while. Inrared sensor? Is that part of the rpm sensor? I have a another exact "working" duplicate opener in the same garage on another door. I am thinking about taking the rpm sensor out of the good one and trying it in the bad. If it works, I should know that the sensor is bad. Good idea?

o

arik 500 a a1 blink code is if the door sensors are misaligned or the wiring is open. Did you remove more than 1 wire from terminal 2?

adjaeger, yes I meant the RPM sensor board. I can't figure out why I want to call it the infrared sensor which is misleading. Substitution with a known good one is the perfect technique.

o

Terminal one and two empty
terminal 3 and 4 go to sensers
Got a 1 blink code
1 senser yellow, 1 dead senser regardless of aiming
When using remote - opener clicks as if senser was triggered
Can you use the opener without the sensers?
Any ideas

o

Don,
Thanks for doing a great job! I have 1/2 HP Craftsman. No light on left door sensor, other one is fine. The door does not close with Remote, it goes down little and then goes up back and blinks 3 times. I checked the wires on left sensor, seems OK to me. Do I need to buy a sensor to replace the left one? If I do, is there any other store besides Sears to buy sensor?

o

ank 500, 1 blink code is sensors misaligned or wires bad.

newguy 234, first make sure the sensors are properly aligned. If this isn't the problem then the 'receiving unit' has probably quit working which is common. You can try your local opener service companies. I am leery of e-bay. I trust Sears more than anyone else.They are sometimes difficult but they are as honest as the day is long.

o

Can i operate the door w/o sensers - how about a jumper cable?

o

The green led light blinks 5 times and repeats its self about every second on the logic board. This started after re-program two remote controls. The operation of the garage door works fine from both remotes and wall unit,and all the senors work fine also. The unit is 130.53662SRT2 and the remotes are 139.53681B all Craftmans 1/2HP.

o

I have a craftsman garage opener, 1/2 hp. I replaced the remote battery..
now remote stopped working..I need to know if i have to do any settings..? Thx.

o

I have an old 1/2 HP Craftsman door opener. Last year one day when I pressed teh button to open the door, the opener hummed but did nothing. It behaved that way for about a day and then suddenly started working.

A year later, i.e, this week the exact same has happened. I click to open, it hums but nothing moves. I disconnected the door from the opener, still nothing moves. This opener is old enough that it has no door sensor so I know that is not causing problems.

Any idea as to what I should do? Should I just go ahead and replace it. I don't even have a users manual for it. Its from 1992. Perhaps time to replace it. Any suggestions?

o

My door opened all the way to the top where the silver steel bar which is pulled by the chain hit the bolt that stops the door from openning further. Now the door won't close when I press the remote, but I hear a click and the green LED at the back of the unit flashes. Is there a way of repairing the opener without replacing it? Thanks.

o

Hello. I am having a strange problem with my 139.18791B. Every time I try to use my remote the garage door will not open and it flashes its light twice, but it opens and closes just fine when I use the key pad or the fixed wall control. Does anyone know what is causing the problem and how I can fix it? Thanks!

o

I have two Sears openers vintage 1994. The two remotes on one unit quit working sporadically. The wireless keypad also quit working. I reset the remotes and they worked perfectly. I replaced the wireless keypad and it works good. With-in hours the remotes quit working and the keypad still works ok. The other opener which I did not touch also has two remotes but no keypad, I've not had trouble with it but it no longer works with it's remotes. Both units work with their wall switch Ideas??

o

My garage door light shorted out and blew the breaker when I rest the breaker the garage door opener will not work now just makes a clicking sound and nothing what could this problem be?

o

my 1992 1/2hp craftsman will not go up or down. i removed the chain from the sprocket. when i press the button on the wall unit, i hear a click and the drive sprocket moves clockwise about 1/8". i jumped across the (1 & 2) terminals and got the same result - just a click, but the motor will not run.

thanks!

o

The torsion springs are broken, how can I change them myself.

o

Hi,

My garage opener stopped working yesterday after 2 years of operation.
When I depress the remote, I hear the motor working but that is it. The gear doesnt turn to drive the chain.
The motor runs for about 1 minute and then shuts off.
The door doesnt open or shut.
Now, I am manually opening and closing it.
thanks very much for any help.

o
Door won't stay down

Recently, my door will not stay when down when it is closed. It will go down all the way, then go back up. The only way to keep it closed is to hit the switch just as the door starts back up, then hit it again to close it. This only works if the door is only several inches or so back up when I hit the switch.

The problem started a few months ago and happened only occassionally, I think only when it was very cold. Now it happens about every time I close it. I played with the down pressure setting, going from very light to heavy, with no luck. The opener is quite old, it preceded me in the house whihc I bought 16 years ago. But it has worked perfectly until now. I changed springs within the past 5 years. Any idea?

o

I have a Crafstman 1/2 HP opener that was installed when my house was built by the previous owner in 1985. Can't locate a part number anywhere on the unit and he didn't leave me an owner's manual! Two days ago, it stopped responding to the remote. It works fine with the hard-wired wall unit. I replaced the remote, matched the code switches with the old remote and verified them with the unit itself. Still no response. I figure the problem must be with the sensing element within the unit, but without a model number I can't get anywhere with Sears. Any suggestions?

o

Hi,

I have a craftsman 13953648srt2 and may lost my circuit board cause of a lightning but not sure.

I appear to have power to the opener and the hard wired opener buttons. But I no longer have power to the electric eyes.

Any suggestions to confirm / fix the problem?

o

remotes not working,key pad not working,main question is on the sensors. they are lit, but one is yellow and one is green. are they both supposed to be green?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here