Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small electric tiller

Posted by rdmusc 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 14:36

Looking to purchase. I probably have 60 square feet I am working with and not a lot of money. Been looking at the small corded electrics from the box stores. What is the experience with these? I can't do $300 to $500 for the gas powered ones and not sure that these wouldn't be overkill.

Thanks,
Richard Muscarello
Baton Rouge, LA 70809

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small electric tiller

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 1, 12 at 17:42

Hi Richard,

With only 60 square feet, you probably don't need an electric powered tool. There are several hand tools that can do a better, deeper job than the electric tools, and you don't have to fuss with an electric cord. The Yard Butler TNT-4 Garden Twist and Till lets you put your foot in it to push the tines into the soil. The Garden Weasel Garden Claw doesn't have a step-through, but has similar capability. Incidentally, I saw a garden claw at Lowe's Home Store with the step-through feature, but don't recall the brand of it.

A good spading fork can do a good job of working the soil, and you can go much deeper with a spading fork than you can with any tiller, electric or gas. And you can work in closer quarters with a spading fork. Good hand tools can be very cost effective and just plain effective.

ZM
(not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

o

60 Sq. Ft., Two Mules And A Middle Buster If your health will allow The Mules To Exercise. LOL!

The Grand and Granny are gardening above ground that I’ll have to build a cart for to allow moving and grass cutting. Good Luck!

o

I'm with the other folks about a tiller not being necessary for a 60 sq ft plot. Don't know how soon you want to start gardening (this fall or next spring) but if you could heap up a bunch of grass clippings and chopped up leaves on your garden area, leave it in place for several months, it would make soil prep a lot easier. It should kill out most of the grass that's in place also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here