Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
briggs valve stuck twice.

Posted by rerod 52246 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 15:04

I have a troy bilt 33" mulching mower with a 8.5 briggs. My son was running it to fast in tall grass and killed the engine. It wouldn't start and I started looking and found the exhaust valve stuck. I removed it and found aluminum deposits on the valve stem. Removed them and put it back together. It ran fine for a while, then lost the spring retainer on the same valve. Is this engine shot since the aluminum valve stem bore is sloppy? Also wondering if installing a new Honda engine on a 10 year old troy bilt is worth a shot. My luck the transmission would shell out as soon as I did that.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: briggs valve stuck twice.

B & S = throwaway engine as the son did "lunch" it.
But she was nigh shot before then with worn out valve guides..evidently, these are not rebuildable.
Try a Chinese engine sold by Harbor Freight ?
Brand names no longer have meaning - everything is "cheap" , IMO.

o

You might have valve guides that can be added to repair the wear. I am almost sure I had a tool or kit for adding guides in the 70s. Check the link below, others and your local repair shop. That should be a minor job. loger

http://www.manddsmallengine.com/briggs/tools/19232.html

o

Id have to agree with you earthworm. In fact, with 10 years of service on the mower I don't think its worth buying the harbor freight engine even though Iv heard good things about them. The mower has been collecting dust for a few years now so the carb has to be gummed up as well. Hate to see it go.

Loger. This engine does not have steel valve stem guides. The stem rides in the aluminum block.

I dont want a riding mower, so what would you guys recommend I get? Something wider than my 22". And a bullet proof engine. I don't mind paying for quality American made products. But most out source allot of the parts anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here