Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annakarin31_gw

Chipper Shredder wont start

annakarin31
16 years ago

I purchased a YardMan 5 hp Chipper Shredder at a garage sale. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton. The lady assured me that all it needed was a new air filter. It looks like it is almost unused but is about 7 years old. I got it home and replaced the air filter and spark plug. Emptied the gas tank and refilled it and checked the oil. But could not get it started. After pulling and pulling to no avail I checked the spark plug and it is bone dry. I gave up and let it sit for a week. Today my husband walks out gives it one pull and it starts. As soon as he adjusts the choke it dies. Now it wonÂt start. What gives, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

• fordtoolin
    16 years ago

The carb needs cleaned. You will need to remove any adjustment screws and spray carb cleaner into any hole you can find. Be sure to turn the adjustment screws in the whole way counting the number of turns before you remove them so you can install them the same way.

• edsacre
    16 years ago

ditto on the clogged carb. Take it apart & clean it well including all the passages with wire to clear out the gummed up fuel. It's a relatively easy task if you get a carb rebuild kit that includes all the gaskets. If you're careful taking it apart you may be able to get by without the kit.
    If you can get it to start & run even with the choke, try putting Sea Foam fuel treatment in the gas. I've had good luck using it to clear up minor gumming. After 7 years or so you may need a manual carb cleaning.
    Any small engine shop can do it for a fairly nominal charge.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Post the engine numbers, so we can figure out which carb you have.

It doesn't have a fuel shut off valve by chance?

• annakarin31
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The engine model number is 245-645B000. I have no experience working on engines, but I am fearless and have managed to do lots of jobs around the house with the help of a manual. Do you think that cleaning a carburetor something that can be done by someone like me? (I do have a tiller that won't start as well).
    Edsacer I assume you suggesting trying the Sea Foam first, and it will only work if the engine runs for awhile, correct? And what is a nominal charge?
    Bill, no fuel shut off valve.
    I should have looked in the tank and known that seeing gas meant trouble.

Thank you for your replies. (If I can make this work with your help, I am tackling the tiller next).

• edsacre
    16 years ago

i'd say yes about the carb repair especially if you have a manual. The first one I took apart was when I was a kid on a mini-bike engine with no manual & it worked afterward. Lots of little parts, springs etc. Take it easy & put all parts in a box to keep from losing. A digital camera can help put it back together if you take pictures as you take it apart.
    I don't know what you mean by nominal charge for sea foam. Follow directions. It has to run to get the Sea Foam in. Letting it set after it runs a while before starting may help it work on deposits. It cost $7 or so a can.
    Once you take one carb apart & put it back together it isn't so intmidating to do it again.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

"The engine model number is 245-645B000"
    Not Briggs numbers!

The numbers should probably be something like-
    13X2XX-xxxx-xx

Look at this link-
    http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Briggs_And_Stratton/briggsmodelid.html

Once you have the correct #, go to the link below and download an IPL.
    It'll have an exploded view of the carb. That way we'll be on the same page.

Here is a link that might be useful: IPL

• annakarin31
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bill, you are right, the model number is 135212 0140 01. Thanks for the link I will check it out.

• bill_kapaun
    16 years ago

Parts needed-
    (Briggs part 272538) diaphragm. It's about $4 and it's just sensible to replace it at this time.
    Can of carb cleaner with spray tube.

Page11/30 has an exploded view of the carb.

Replace the diaphragm, Part 394.(Briggs part 272538)
    While you have the cover off, use the spray tube of your can of carb cleaner to flush the 2 holes under the diaphragm.
    One should go into the venturi and you should be able to hear it "whoosh". The other should go to the fuel pick up tube in the tank. You should hear the fuel "bubble" if/when that circuit is clear
    It'll probably be easier to remove the muffler first. 2 bolts and then you get a straight shot at the cover plate screws. (else, they're somewhat easy to mess up)
    BTW, my screws were 3/32" allen screws.
    Just work slow and reassemble in the same order the parts came off.

• billnewcomb_mac_com
    13 years ago

I have a chipper that I stating briefly then stopped it. Went to stat it again and the pull cord won't budge. Any suggestions.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Remove the spark plug and try the recoil function again .

• wmbriley
    9 years ago

By now, I' m sure your shredder is fixed.....
    we had the same problem, and after some disassembly
    of the unit, discovered a small piece of wood jammed in the chipper blades....popped it out with a screw driver, and it started on 2nd. pull...
    after 30 years,, have decided to let our power equipment
    dealer do some maintenance work on the carb and fuel system. Oil has been changed every 30 hrs. or so,
    blades sharpened or replaced yearly....air filter as well..
    It still does a good job.
    only challenge is not to overload the chute with material to be chipped...all in all, over the years, money well spent
    on a useful, used often piece of machinery...

• Emily Joy
    6 years ago

How do I get it to fire because I'm not getting any fire from spark plug and I have gotten new spark plug and etc

• loger_gw
    6 years ago

What engine and model #?

• jkimbllin
    6 years ago

Well let's start with 5.5 Tucumseh motor on a YardMan chipper/ shredder/ vaccuum. It won't start! I took the carb apart and cleaned it, checked the flywheel shear pin and it was sheared so I replaced it. New spark plug: checked spark. What Now?????

motor model : OHH60

yardman model : 24A- 203B401

• loger_gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

jkimbllin,

Did you get the “Monster” started? If you have Fire, Fuel and Compression it
    should start. If not, there are quick steps to check each. Such as:

* Pull and ground the plug to see if it fires in the “Run Position”.

* Use a compression gauge to see if the engine builds good compression or 100 psi or more.

* Add ¼ tsp of fresh fuel in the cylinder and add the plug to see if the engine fires or run a second.

* If you get good results with all of these the engine should run. Looking back at your notes .

* Did you checked the compression and valve clearance's for good compression?

* Did you pull the plug and primed the engine with fresh fuel to see if it would fire?*What is the history of this engine stopping and does it tries to start

* Did you pull up any youtubs or other technical info of your engine not running? *More history or specific observations if it is not running. Please!