Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cutting tools

Posted by knuttle z7bnc (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 16:21

I have a reoccurring task to cut 1/16 X 1/2 stainless steel or Aluminum. stock. They must be cut into 1" lengths. I am currently using a hacksaw to make the cuts.

Today I got a flyer from Harbor Freight that advertised a Multifunction power tool, a 3" cut-off tool, and reciprocating saw, all about $20.

What would be the best tool for this job.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cutting tools

I would think for the aluminum, a hefty, sharp cold chisel & 4 lb. sledge. (and good aim)

o
RE: cutting tools

In my opinion the Cut Off Saw at Harbor Freight (at the address below) would be most ideal for this job and others larger. The 1/8” thick X 14” dia wheel last good for accurate metal cuts. The smaller blades works good on skill saws but w/o the good base and vise for production work. A smaller saw will be best for this present job.

To be honest, a good pair of Wiss or etc tin snips should do your job w/o the dust, noise and danger.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=chop+saw

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here