Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attachment compatibility with Stihl power head

Posted by tom_g_dc (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 16:25

Hi, I'm planning to invest in a power head and several attachments. I'm leaning toward the Stihl KM 110 power head based on good reviews and the fact that the local dealer is close by and I like them. But some of the attachments are quite a bit less expensive from other vendors so for the ones I expect to use only a few times a year I thought I might go that way (for example, for the hedge trimmer attachment). I've seen some people describe using different attachments on different heads but do they work well or is it really kludgey?

Specifically, will Echo PAS, Poulan Pro, and/or Craftsman brand attachments usually fit a Stihl? Is there any significant downside to mixing and matching?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attachment compatibility with Stihl power head

Im sure poulan/ryobi/sears or echo will not fit a stihl.
My dad has a ryobi. Motorwise is fine. While it saves you money and storage space, it is pretty heavy relative to individual.
Also, i tried his hedge trimmer attachment - it is alot heavier than my homelite hedge trimmer. Lastly, the blower is lacking.

o
RE: Attachment compatibility with Stihl power head

I have a KM 90. I bought it specifically because my old Ryobi hedge trimmer attachment grenaded and I wanted something that would stand up better. I run the Stihl articulating hedge trimmer with the carbon fiber extension shaft as needed.

My old Ryobi cultivator and line trimmer fit and work reasonably well with the Stihl powerhead. The OD on the attachments fit perfectly with the ID on the motor. Thedrive cable engages and works just fine. That said, as budget permits I will replace my older attachments with Stihl equivalents. I keep my line trimmer on my 2-stroke Ryobi head, but the cultivator always goes on the Stihl now.

The Stihl has tons more torque than the Ryobi - I had every intention of getting a 130 or 110 but the 90 was in stock and I haven't been disappointed in the last two years. Good Luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here