Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garden seeder

Posted by nisidotatos Greece (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 16:38

Hello everyone,
i have just started a small market garden in Greece.
I would like to ask you if you know of any reliable garden seeders (hand models).
Experience will be valued.

Kind regards

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garden seeder

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 8:49

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "garden seeder (hand models), but I've attached a link to one I've had for 12 years and works really great. My garden is 50ft. X 50ft. This works very well, adjust the depth, adjust the marker for row width and walk-that's it. It opens the furrow, drops the seed at the proper spacing, a chain closes the furrow and the rear wheel "tamps" it. One caution, you have to have at least 3/4" of seed in the hopper for the plates to be able to pick it up. No problem with larger seeds like corn, beans, etc. Smaller seeds, spinach, lettuce, etc. you may have to buy more than you really want to in order to use this.

Good luck,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Seeder

o

I have the Earthway seeder that Exmar provided a link to (above), and have used it for more than 10 years. As Exmar mentioned, it does good with larger seeds, but is not good with mustard, radish, lettuce, etc. Best luck.

Javert

o

Earthway is good one to have but seeds to much some seed cup need cutting off I have to and 3 set seed disc and I can plant Onion and Mustard seeds. To remove cups use very sharp knife are small grinder good place to get hand are finger cut be careful..

o

Instead of cutting off the cups I plugged every other one with silicon sealant.

Much easier and less likely to cause damage to the disks or get yourself hurt!

When I plant small seeds I mix perlite with the seeds.

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 1, 13 at 14:44

Hey, didn't mean to "hijack" this post....:-)

Lots of good info on the seeder I suggested. Mixing perlite is a slick idea.

Rethinking "hand seeder," I've attached another type, I had one of these and it is faster than using your fingers but still requires stooping. I have a bad hip, knee and shoulder courtesy of an "all expense paid vacation in Sunny South East Asia" back in the 60's so stooping I try to avoid.

Good luck,

Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: hand seeder

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here