Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to sharpen blades on reel mower

Posted by blooming_in_zone5 5-6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 19, 10 at 17:07

I've asked the gentleman who owns the local lawn service but he says he doesn't have the tools to sharpen the blades on my reel lawnmower. It also needs a new ruber cover for the wood rolling dowel. Any ideas? ~JoAnn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to sharpen blades on reel mower

This is not a DIY task unless you have someone who is trained, teach you how to do it plus you need the proper files. I suggest that you use your Yellow Page directory and look under "sharpening". Phone around. Talk to people that are in the blade sharpening business. Not all will have the motorized equipment to sharpen the reels and bed knives but they may know of someone who does.

o

Thanks very much. :)
So I guess my $10 deal wasn't such a deal after all. Oh well.

o

They can be sharpened if you want to try it:

Lee Valley Reel Mower Sharpening Info

o

The post above is not true sharpening, but rather backlapping. In any case backlapping requires a fair amount of skill to properly set the reel relative to the bedknife. I agree with the first post.

o

This will take a true craftsman from the 50s 60s before the power mowers became popular and knows the values of files. The adjustments or sharpening are not hard or bad if you have some mechanical "Hands On" skills. I cheat with some power tools sharpening now (when I can to save time on excessive needs) but I have and value my variety of files and experience. Im sure grass keepers associated with Golf Courses will know the skills and would possibly share the skills. Where is your 65 70 year old Neighborhood Handyman if you live where grass has always been popular to care for?

The rubber on the dowel can probably be fitted with water hose from an Auto Store or hose from Home Depot (HD will probably have the best price).

loger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here