Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing recoil starter on 1998 model 32cc Craftsman weedwacker

Posted by donaldjr1969 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 17:45

Hello. I have a 32cc Craftsman weedeater from 1998 that has not ran right for a few seasons now. Four days ago, I got so mad at it that I threw it across the yard. I have since replaced it with a nice Stihl FS90R. However, I wanted to tear this engine apart and really see if anything was wrong internally.

While I got the head off and inspected the cylinder walls, I could not remove the recoil starter. I must have inadvertently unhooked the spring assembly because the rope will not rewind and there is no tension. I assume it is because the driven member of the clutch is blocking the cover. All bolts I can find are off right now. Do I need to remove part or all of the clutch assemly first? Or is there another trick? I do not have the model number handy but I will get it posted later on this evening. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing recoil starter on 1998 model 32cc Craftsman weedwack

Not knowing exactly which model you have, but yes, you will have to remove the clutch. Use some starter rope
with knots in it, stuffed in the spark plug hole to lock the piston while you get the clutch off with a set of
channel lock pliers. Take note what comes off and the order it comes off in
Fish

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here