Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmullen_gw

Source of old sabre saw blades?

dmullen
13 years ago

I have two old craftsman sabre saws that need blades. One, I have owned for 40 years and the other was inherited from an uncle.

They each have one blade in them and they both run good. Yesterday, I went looking for more blades at Home Depot for the future and discovered that the old blades with two holes in the shank are no longer made. Sears cannot get them either.

Does anyone know of a source for these blades. I hate to throw away tools that are in perfect running order just because of their age.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• dustcollector
    13 years ago

Would these work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Blades

• loger_gw
    13 years ago

I have a SEARS CRAFTSMAN 1/2" SABRE/JIG SAW~#315.17215~Variable. I've had it 40 years and use Lesco "Fit All Jig Saws Universal Shank" blades. #U101B for cutting wood/plastic and U118A for cutting metal. BUT! I have to grind the end slightly for the one hole to line-up. These blades will fit my Black & Decker also. One link is at: http://www.dahlstrom.us/Jig_saw.html

It appears Bosch and Lesto are related??

Good luck! loger

• dmullen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dustcollector and Loger

Thanks for the help. I tried the links that you both provided and it looks like they have blades that would work.

I made a return trip to Sears where a different saleman said that even though they did not have them, what I need is a "U" shank with a hole in it.

In order to try to get something locally, I went to a nearby Harbor Freight store.

They had a set of blades that work. It is a 30 piece set of various sizes and was only $11.99 including a nylon pouch to carry them.

These blades fit perfectly and 30 of them should last quite a while.

I have bought a lot of tools at Harbor Freight (no power tools though) and have never had a problem with any of them. Some are an even better buy than those I find at other local stores.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. If you hadn't, I would have probably thrown away these tools and replaced them. Now, with two of them and all of these blades, I should be set for many more years of use.

Sorry it took so long to reply but I wanted to resolve this before responding.

• loger_gw
    13 years ago

Good Deal! I agree that H/F prices are un-matched. I limit my purchases to non-mechanical and non-electrical items. Initially I could find some brand items as DeWalt cutting and grinding wheels. I feel that has changed.

• dmullen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

loger

I also limit my purchases to non-mechanical and non-electrical items. I have no experience with them but have read too many postings that mentioned problems with those products.

• Tresbon
    9 years ago

I found blades for my old craftsman sabre saw. I actually had an empty package still in the box. "Blu-mol" jig saw blades-available at tools-n-hardware.com. "U" shank with a hole in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: tools-n-hardware

• HU-8744480
    last year

I have a few packs of the sabre saw blades

• HU-811797333
    last year
    last modified: last year

Have you Experienced Silver Soldering Bandsaw Blades. A Friend demonstrated the Homemade Jig and Silver Soldering a Broken Blade Over 20 years ago. I am still using that blade when needed due to my little Bandsaw work, Plus changing for different Cuts....

Logger