Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georger_gw

Honda Tiller F 501-Transmission Water seal installation

georger
17 years ago

Transmission oil is leaking through the wheel shaft in the transmission on the honda 501 Tiller.

Anybody knows how to remove the old one and install a new one?

Comments (10)

• maineman
    17 years ago

George,

You are probably inquiring about an oil seal and not a water seal. When you say, "Transmission oil is leaking through the wheel shaft" do you mean the tine shaft? Do you have the Honda FG501 Tiller Shop Manual? (I'm assuming you meant FG501 and not F501.) You can usually find shop manuals for sale on eBay.

MM

• georger
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I have the shop manual. It describes it as water seal, though oil is inside. May be to block water from entering!

But the shop manual doesn't elaborate on how to remove the seal, as there is a metal case covering it.
    Should I remove the metal part? How?
    thanks

• maineman
    17 years ago

George,

I don't have a Honda tiller, so I won't guess how to remove and replace the transmission seals. If you ordered the replacement seals from Honda, they might come with instructions for removing the old seals and for installing the new seals.

MM

• sodslinger
    17 years ago

can someone tell me how to change the seals on this tiller , can I just take the tines off orr do I need to take the tranny apart
    thanks
    shawn

• Rotovator
    11 years ago

Hi sodslinger. Did you ever find out how to remove these bearings as I have the same problem. Regards Mark

• loger_gw
    11 years ago

Post some Pictures or links of the need. If they are basic seals, I feel tips are on the way.

• fredbarber
    11 years ago

Mark, I had to change them on my F401, which is basically the same machine, a few years older, with a smaller engine, I think. As I recall (it's been a few years) I had to remove the stamped steel dirt cover first. I couldn't figure out how to do it without carefully bending the tabs that hold the two halves together to release them. I then pried out the old seals with a screwdriver or something. I cleaned the axles as best I could before putting the new ones on to avoid damaging them, but there was some roughness from corrosion that I couldn't get off. Doesn't seem to have mattered -- the new seals pressed in just fine and don't leak. It was a little nerve wracking due to the lack of good instructions in the service manual (yes, I have one) but not really a difficult repair. And I love the tiller. (Mine even has reverse gear, which they later eliminated due to product liability concerns. Does yours?)

Good luck!

Fred

• rwk2008
    8 years ago

Fred,

If only the right side seal leaked, would you replace both seals anyway?

Richard

• fredbarber
    8 years ago

I did. I figured they were the same age, operated under the same conditions, so it made sense. Besides, taking everything apart and putting it back together was enough of a PIA that I wouldn't want to have to do it again any time soon. I don't remember how long ago it is now that I did it (five years or more?) but they're still holding fine and the tiller is running great (knock on wood).

• HU-623324152
    3 years ago

Petroleum is leeking into the sump what is the probable cause