Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda Tiller F 501-Transmission Water seal installation

Posted by georger Z5a On, Canada (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 21, 06 at 20:33

Transmission oil is leaking through the wheel shaft in the transmission on the honda 501 Tiller.
Anybody knows how to remove the old one and install a new one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda Tiller F 501-Transmission Water seal installation

George,

You are probably inquiring about an oil seal and not a water seal. When you say, "Transmission oil is leaking through the wheel shaft" do you mean the tine shaft? Do you have the Honda FG501 Tiller Shop Manual? (I'm assuming you meant FG501 and not F501.) You can usually find shop manuals for sale on eBay.

MM

o

I have the shop manual. It describes it as water seal, though oil is inside. May be to block water from entering!

But the shop manual doesn't elaborate on how to remove the seal, as there is a metal case covering it.
Should I remove the metal part? How?
thanks

o

George,

I don't have a Honda tiller, so I won't guess how to remove and replace the transmission seals. If you ordered the replacement seals from Honda, they might come with instructions for removing the old seals and for installing the new seals.

MM

o

can someone tell me how to change the seals on this tiller , can I just take the tines off orr do I need to take the tranny apart
thanks
shawn

o

Hi sodslinger. Did you ever find out how to remove these bearings as I have the same problem. Regards Mark

o

Post some Pictures or links of the need. If they are basic seals, I feel tips are on the way.

o

Mark, I had to change them on my F401, which is basically the same machine, a few years older, with a smaller engine, I think. As I recall (it's been a few years) I had to remove the stamped steel dirt cover first. I couldn't figure out how to do it without carefully bending the tabs that hold the two halves together to release them. I then pried out the old seals with a screwdriver or something. I cleaned the axles as best I could before putting the new ones on to avoid damaging them, but there was some roughness from corrosion that I couldn't get off. Doesn't seem to have mattered -- the new seals pressed in just fine and don't leak. It was a little nerve wracking due to the lack of good instructions in the service manual (yes, I have one) but not really a difficult repair. And I love the tiller. (Mine even has reverse gear, which they later eliminated due to product liability concerns. Does yours?)

Good luck!

Fred

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here