Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shimming drive shaft in older (s/n 81625) Troy bilt horse

Posted by ronj47 Ohio (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 21:10

How do I measure the play to determine the amount of shim? The manual describes grabbing the front of the shaft but doesn't say whether or not to have the transmission in gear. With the transmission in gear, I have about 0.020" of play in the drive shaft. In neutral, I have about 0.25" of play. Many Thanks for any wisdom shared.
Ron

BTW, anyone venture a guess at when this Horse was built?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shimming drive shaft in older (s/n 81625) Troy bilt horse

I have an older Horse with the Clinton cast iron engine and when i did mine about two years ago, i put the transmission in neutral. I made the shims out of aluminum flashing. Not sure if i did it right, but it's still going and i put out a big garden every year.

o

1/1974 Time oil get on bearing that long shaft heated up .020 going to be gone I say .020 about right. you call call toll free 1-800-609-5110. Bill Rodgers. He dealer Troy Bilt.

o

Many Thanks for the tips. I'm learning more each day and will share as I progress. Just found out that all five seals on the transmission are shot so I'm biting the proverbial bullet and will open up the transmission to inspect the gears when I replace the seals. If the shims are installed with the tranny in neutral, I'm going to need about a dozen of the thick ones. That seems a bit excessive so I'm starting to suspect that I may have severe gear wear. More when I get it open. I may get to know Bill very well before this is over. ;-) Again, thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here