Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
troubleshooting troy-bilt tiller issue

Posted by johndoe1 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 12, 10 at 21:15

I bought a used troy-bilt tiller with an 8hp kohler engine. Tiller is in excellent condition. Strange there is a Y-Cable in a black shroud. On top of the Belt Adjustment Bolt there rests another bolt that has wires attached. This Bolt separates from the Lower Bolt when you engage the Wheels.

When I engage the Drive which lifts the Top Bolt off of the lower adjustment bolt the engine quits or if I let them contact each other the engine will continue to run.

If I put tiller in Reverse which does not separate the two bolts it works.

Grounding issue of some sort is my guess but I have no clue how to resolve it as I never got any manuals with the Tiller. Any idea what I need to do to resolve this odd behavior?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: troubleshooting troy-bilt tiller issue

I'd try connecing the two bolts with a piece of insulated wire, and see if that makes it run right. You'd have to bare the ends of the wires so they make contact with the bolts. Sort of a weird set-up!

o
RE: troubleshooting troy-bilt tiller issue

• Posted by baymee LehighValleyPA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 5:52

It sounds like a safety device because with the Horse you can lock the trans in forward and take your hands off and it keeps on going. Maybe this wire was used in conjunction with another hand grip.

o
RE: troubleshooting troy-bilt tiller issue, ideas.

Another idea of how to protect the dumbos amongst us! With that set-up, there is no way you can get yer feet in the tines, because they aren't going to turn with the engine not running!
I have heard that the safety gurus have decided that parachutes are highly dangerous, so the guvment has decreed that there will no longer be a rip-cord to open the chute, and there will be a 30,456 word warning to all prospective users! They figure nobody in their right mind will try to use the chute!;o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here