Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
otter_b1

cordless yard tools

otter-b1
11 years ago

I am looking for cordless yard tools. I've found the Ryobi and Black&Decker series online. I am hoping for some feedback from those who have used the tools before I invest in either of the series. Here's my list of questions/concerns - I'm sure I will come up with more.

Ryobi vs Black &Decker?

voltage differences - there are several choices - 18v is most common with most available tools. Also available are 20v, 24v, 36v, and 40v. Do I need the bigger battery if the resulting amperage is the same?

are these tools powerful enough for the work I need to do?

Specifically:

pole saw - needs to cut up to 3" diameter (if possible)

trimmer - needs to whack big weeds, not just grass

blower - needs to move leaves off grass, not just hard

surfaces

cultivator - would be used in clay soil - mostly partially

prepared flowerbeds that need cleaned up and soil

improved

Any comments and info will be welcomed. TIA

Comments (4)

• exmar zone 7, SE Ohio
    11 years ago

Hi,

IMHO, the cordless won't do it, or won't do it for long. Consider "corded" if you don't want to deal with small gas engines. Or, get a small genset for convenience and still go with corded. You'll only have one small engine to deal with that way.

Do a search here and at other sites on life expectancy for cordless tools, also look at replacement cost of batteries.

Good luck,

Ev

• rager_w
    11 years ago

I just purchased the Ryobi 24v Li trimmer. I've had gas, corded and other cordless models. I really like this new unit. It will wack down anything. Sure is a lot easier to control than my Echo, 2-stroke.

• otter-b1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. Still mulling things over and gathering info from as many sources as possible. Had really hoped for more favorable reviews - but that's why I'm asking - don't want to shell out for something that won't perform the task.

• otter-b1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. Still mulling things over and gathering info from as many sources as possible. Had really hoped for more favorable reviews - but that's why I'm asking - don't want to shell out for something that won't perform the task.