Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting old pop-up camper to shed trailer

Posted by blueberrier1 6/ky (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 22:37

Any hints for efficient conversion of the camper frame for use as a movable shed base?

Half done stripping the camper pieces off the main frame. Recycling the metal sheathing, stove and sink; the fiberglass(?) roof will become the roof of a small fuel shed; the rest goes to the landfill.

Wheelwells seem to be a heavy plastic and need to be encased. Would like to overhang the base frame. Ultimate goal is to use the frame for the base of a mobile chicken house...maybe a hoop house style.

Advantage to me would be the fact that I can pivot the trailer in a short radius at one end of a hayfield, providing multiple forage areas conveniently. Has anyone done something similar?

Thanks...have learned so much from this forum.
cj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting old pop-up camper to shed trailer

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 07 at 10:44

What do you have to lose by trying? The frame, springs, and axle might be a little light though.

o

If the leaf springs are on the underside of the axle, you should be able to flip the axle and mount the springs on top, then you wouldn't need as much of a wheelwell, I did this on my popup camper worked great. You should be able to bolt the frame of the shed right thru the frame of the trailer. I don't think you would have a weight issue. Doesn't sound like your going to be using it on the road.

Tony

o

A mobile chicken coop like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: tractor

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here