Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help with string trimmer advancing line issue

Posted by markbens none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 22:49

Hello,

I recently purchased a Ryobi string trimmer. During the first use, the line snapped off on both ends of the trimmer head, rendering it useless. I am unable to advance the string both by revving up the trimmer and by hand. How do I advance the string? Do I take apart the shell encasing the string?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help with string trimmer advancing line issue

Some times the string get wrapped and knots up, other time it may be the string your using if too big. if it the bump type to advance string and it advances when you rev it up or lightly bump it on the ground the spring may need to be sprung more to put more pressure on the release gaget.

o

Most, if not all, of the trimmers in use today, have the "bump feed" type of string advance, where you rev the engine up and bounce the trimmer head on the ground several times to advance the length of the string!
If the string doesn't advance, there is a problem, caused either by faulty string winding by the owner, or sometimes just caused by a temperamental machine! They do have a mind of their own-ya know? You have to talk nice to them, or you're in for a lot of trouble from it.
JMHO: Rusty J.
Note: To save yer sanity--go to the mower shop and buy the trimmer head that uses the heavy orange or red, plastic lengths of cord, which will cut off an elephants feet without breaking! BT/DT: Rustyj

o

Damned good advice from Rusty
The string head should just pull apart.
Be sure to wrap the 0.80 red or orange in the correct direction and very neatly..

o

What is the correct way to wind the string? I never learned. And sure would like to. TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here