Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

Echo easy-load string doesn't!

dottyinduncan
13 years ago

My 3 month old Echo string trimmer won't accept the line on one side. Any suggestions about what I can do? I bought an Echo because of the good reports I found on this forum. It has probably had about 3 hours of use so far.

Comments (21)

• fruitjarfla
    13 years ago

5 year warranty?

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes -- I was just hoping that there was something I was doing wrong and there might be an easy fix. Thanks.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Dotty: What exactly do you mean won't accept . It ran well for 3 mths so what has changed . Review the Operators Manual and follow the load instructions , be sure to use the proper size line . What Model is it ?

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a GT-225. I am using the line recommended by the salesperson at home depot who sold me the machine. As I said, it only has at most 3 hours running time on it. Yesterday, I hit a wire fence with the string. When I went to replace the strings, one went in easily, as usual, the other one will not enter the hole. The operators manual has no troubleshooting for the string loader, just the normal loading instructions which of course I have followed.

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

If you have the rapid load head and cannot insert one of the lines there is probably a piece of old line still in the head. You'll have to disassemble the head and get it out. The manual tells you how to disassemble and reassemble it. It isn't that difficult. I have an Echo SRM-225. This can happen with that head.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Dotty: As Evd has stated you have caused the line to overheat and swell within the Head . It actually has probably welded itself to the plastic head . You will have to disassemble and scrap the end from the internal drum . Try to use lower speed when you are around fences and cement works. You will get better performance and increased line use with more practice , you have a very good model .

• evdpgh
    13 years ago

It doesn't really have to overheat. The line just has to break of inside the head and you won't see it or know it's there until you try to insert a new line and can't. It's really no big deal to take this trimmer head apart and put it back together. FYI this head is compatible with all trimmer line from .080 to .105 in.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Evd: Not seem ,any quality trimmer line break unless it has been exposed to UV Light for numerous yrs. I assume it may break on occasion but more readily heats up when strikes immovable abrasive objects until it meets its tensile yield (stretch) . I have witnessed it actually fuse itself to the mechanical release mechanism or centrifugal clutch style bump and go heads. Either way my point is taken . Don't over speed the head around obstacles . My Neighbour has a over 8 yr Old 225 that he just asked me to respooled with Double Helix Style Line .080 . Work like a charm he says and he has harsh weeds and Milk Weed areas to trim .

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for the advice. I took the trimmer to HD and the man in the parts department used a tiny screwdriver to move the wheel that tightens against the line, and we were able to get the line in properly. I had tried to do this but was afraid that I might damage it more and void the warranty. It's always hard to keep away from fences but I will try to do so. Thanks, again.

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Well it appears Dotty that you came to the end of the usable line and the centrifugal force , as usual spit out the last section of line . If it was not fused to the Roller you did not overheat (over speed) the head during you cutting . The Roller Mechanism are stiff by design . Look at it this way you have 1st hand trained experience within your trimmer. Good luck and don't forget your hearing and eye protection . How are the fires out West ? Hopefully they have them under control . Raining here today in Northern Ontario .

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Well it appears Dotty that you came to the end of the usable line and the centrifugal force , as usual spit out the last section of line . If it was not fused to the Roller you did not overheat (over speed) the head during you cutting . The Roller Mechanism are stiff by design . Look at it this way you have 1st hand trained experience within your trimmer. Good luck and don't forget your hearing and eye protection . How are the fires out West ? Hopefully they have them under control . Raining here today in Northern Ontario .

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the response ewalk. Yes, I'm very careful about safety glasses and ear muffs. Strangely, here on Vancouver Island, we have had a cooler than usual summer and although we haven't had any rain for months, not a lot of fires. Yesterday, it was so cold I wore a sweater -- very unusual for Aug 1st!

• ewalk
    13 years ago

Yes very Strange indeed , was on the Island back in 1999 late summer after the Winter Olympics Hubbub had died down , Tofino Beach Area Great Fishing and beautiful Beach Area . You take care enjoy the last part of summer !

• jacric2002
    6 years ago

I used dottyinduncan's post to loosen the two screws on the head and use a tiny screw driver to move the inner workings a bit (the wheel?). It worked. Another problem solved by Googling!

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Great to hear jacric , even 7 yr olds threads can be recycled lol.

• upup_and_away
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

fruitj- did u actually READ the warranty? its pretty worthless. YOU pay labor so it is 100ish just to get the ignition coil replaced. Mine, they say the broken gears by the trimmer head are my fault.... How is that for 5 years??

• Scott Reeve
    6 years ago

Yes, nothing like reviving a 7-year-old thread. Took my Echo trimmer (only a year old) into the local Echo retailer because it won't accept any new string. Looks like the previous string is somehow jammed in there. He said that if he couldn't get the string out, he could just put a new head there (about $28). Well... I could probably do that - anyone know what part he was talking about? This is the trimmer: SRM-225

• 300ft_anin
    6 years ago

scott, i have an older echo trimmer. i would check into a husqvarna "T35", easy to install, and very easy to refill line. been using these for several years.

• turnage (8a TX)
    6 years ago

Scott, I have the SRM-225 myself. Page 28 of the owners manual shows how to remove the cover from the trimmer head. Just push in the two locking tabs to remove cover. After removing cover you should be able to remove any pieces of broken string.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago

Scott 3 minute job to clear the head , 5 minute to replace the rollers . Forget the incompetent Joke of a dealer . Unbelievable lol .

• HU-386532867
    9 months ago

Dont lose the big fat black spring.... It seats in the cap and then you snap it back... Its a world of trouble without the spring...