Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

ProMac610 chainsaw repair

chas045
11 years ago

I have a McCulloch PM610 chainsaw. I bought it new and use it occasionally but it has probably sat for four years. I think that I may have run it to dryness. I bought it new. Perhaps it is 12-15 years old. It was often not easy to start but it ran well once it fired up.

In any case, it isn't starting now. It has always been harder to pull than my smaller saws. I assumed that was compression but not sure. I was just noticing that the cord was not retracting easily and I am wondering if the extra effort to pull the rope makes it too slow to easily start? I was able to get a couple of half second runs if I dribbled a little gas into the carb.

I just ordered a carb rebuild kit. I have not worked on these little box carburators before (I guess I have been lucky). Most of my experience is on lawn mower (or bigger) size engines with float bowls etc.

I took the carb out and took it apart. The seals and valve flex thingies seem flexable to me and they don't have holes or tears. However a web site of a similar walbrow carb said that even somewhat stiff is no good. That is why I ordered the kit. The fuel line doesn't seem to be clogged. I blew on it and I could hear foaming bubbles coming out in the tank.

The whole carburator looks like it is brand new to me. Quite a change from my usual carbs loaded up with some crud in the float bowl. Anyway, do you think I am on the right track here by replacing the flex valves and fuel pump spring/rubber thing, or is there some other obvious thing that I may be missing.

Comments (2)