Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are your favorite garden knives

Posted by LavenderThyme none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 23:55

I don't mind using scissors for harvesting my thyme, calendula, lemon balm, and other small, tender stemmed herbs but my hand really starts to hurt when I'm heavily into the lavender.

I'm looking for some knives that I can use to harvest lavender, large amounts of comfrey, mullein, and other larger/woodier stemmed herbs.

Does anyone have any favorites? I don't mind having a variety for different applications but I don't really know where to begin when looking.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are your favorite garden knives

I have a Buck 303 Cadet pocket knife that handles everything in my vegetable garden except cabbage stems. It holds an edge really well and is easy enough to sharpen with a good sharpening steel. Bucks black handle knives have much better steel and workmanship than their brown handle grade knives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Buck Cadet

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 13, 13 at 16:34

I had one of these for years, then I lost or misplaced it. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see they have a variety of knives. Not "shilling" for Amazon, but this allows you to look at different ones.
Ev

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Knife

o

I would look at safety first. It is amazing what dangerous knives stores will sell without a sheaf or a decent handle. I paid three bucks for a so-called melon knife in the grocery closeout isle. Cheap lightweight plastic handle, but serrated blade was sharper than a razor blade. Moved my hand once in the sink and the blade cut halfway thru my finger.

I have used the rubberized products found at hardware stores to coat handles for better gripping. Used it once on a machete handle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here