Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avongundog

Montgomery Ward tiller GIL-1580G

avongundog
14 years ago

I am looking for the owner's manual for Montgomery Ward tiller GIL-1580G. Searching through the blogs I noticed a GardenWeb member "woodybusboy" did obtain this Holy Grail. Though his blog was dated June 08, I was hoping to get in contact with him. Thanks.

Comments (29)

• Greg Goyeneche
    14 years ago

I got several manuals from these people. The manual for 1580F should work fine as they are just about the same. Use the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rusty Tiller

• avongundog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for the response. I actually went to rustytiller earlier via digging through GardenWeb blogs and did print the 1580F manual.(oh and thank you very much rusytiller for sharing such hard to find information!!!)The top end of the tiller is pretty much identical, however the lower unit meaning the gear box (shaft,bearing etc appear to be different. I got this tiller through an estate sale and the tiller was in fantastic shape considering it`s age (from the 70`s I assume). Unfortunately the oil seal(s) failed in the gear box. I tore it apart and ended up having to press (ok pound)the shaft bearing/bushing out to remove the left seal. Was able to get a read on and match the seals through Applied Technologies. Then had to press(and pound) the bearing and seal back in. Sounds pretty barbaric and it was a bugger but it worked! It seemed like Gilson made that unit not to be fixed but to be replaced. Any way, I would still like to get the manual for the GIL-1580G just to have for reference plus I need the reverse belt size. Thank you again and any help to find this manual would be much appreciated.

• joe9215
    13 years ago

I have the manual for this tiller. If you would like a copy, please let me know and I will price out what having it copied and the mail charge to get it to you.
    Joe....... HAPPY GARDENING!!!

• OKSTATENUM1_YAHOO_COM
    13 years ago

I looking for an manual for a Motgomery Ward tiller GIL-1580 G and if not that just a belt pattern and size would be nice?

• kimberlec2001_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I too am looking for belt sizes for this same tiller...Joe9215 can you reference your manual for this information and post?

• kind4047_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have a Model GIL-1580G rotary tiller owner's guide and parts list. Let me know if you are interested in a copy.

I still use my tiller; but I'm looking for a carburetor or a carburetor repair kit. I can't find the kit.

• jnj2001_gmail_com
    12 years ago

hello,i have a favor to ask.i have a gil 1580e rototiller and i am in need of someone to lay the depth bar on a sheet of paper and trace around it for me so i can make one since i can't find this part anywhere.please let me know if you can help

• rmail7_aol_com
    12 years ago

have a gil1589a assume belts may be the same

• Richard3600
    12 years ago

Jeff,
    I have a working 1580g (original owner) I can trace depth bar and dimentions. Just let me know where to mail it. No cost to you!

• Robert79511
    11 years ago

How do I contact Richard3600? I too need the depth bar info for this filler and a manual would be helpful also.

• Dominick1
    10 years ago

Hello , does any one have a manual for my montgomery ward GIL 1580-G AND PARTS LIST, I WOULD LIKE A COPY DONE IF SOME ONE HAS IT, I WILL PAY TO HAVE ONE COPY AND SEND IT TO UTICA, NEW YORK , 13502, I WOULD LIKE A REPLY SO I COULD GIVE MY NAME AND ADDRESS,AND WHAT IS THE COST TO SEND. thanks

This post was edited by Dominick1 on Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 13:09

• Jon-Paul Lafitte
    8 years ago

I need to find parts for a GIL 1580e that I'm looking for parts. I need the brass gear and seals that drive the tines.

• bbv616
    7 years ago

I just bought a Wards tiller model# gil 1580A / serial# 66x 81195, I would like to know what year it is. One of the gearbox seals leaks a little grease but other than that it tears up the ground better than any newer one that I have rented. Best tool investment I ever made.

Buzzard

• Greg Goyeneche
    7 years ago

Since it's an "A" model, I'm guessing early 1970's. Best way to age the machine is to use the engine information. On the fan housing Briggs stamps the model, type, and code number. Sequence will be 130XXX XXXX-XX 730630XX. First set of numbers is basic model (130XXX for 13 CID engine, 5 or 5.5hp); Third set of numbers is Year (yyyy), month (mm), day (dd), and plant code. This example would be June 30, 1973.

• Caelea Elfriede
    7 years ago

Would someone kindly copy and send me a

Montgomery Ward gill-1580 g manual

I just obtained one and the manuals are impossible to find! I'll compensate of course

Thank you

Caelea

• Greg Goyeneche
    7 years ago

I've got a PDF of the owner's manual and parts list for a Gilson 1580F. However, I need an email address to be able to send it to you. Do not have 1580G.

• lfogerson
    7 years ago

Hey guys, I'm looking for a manual for a Montgomery Ward tiller model
    GIL-1580G. I downloaded a 1580F manual from rustytiller which is close
    but I was wanting the correct one. If you have one, send it to
    fogeydude@hotmail.com. Thank you.

• Raul Buentello Sr
    6 years ago

I'm looking for a 1580G manual also. rbuen2030@gmail.com

• Jeremy Geyer
    6 years ago

Also looking for GIL 1580 G manual.

jem.gey@gmail.com

• wsnead56
    6 years ago

I am looking for a manual for a GIL 1580G rototiller. Anyone have one I could get. Anyone also know the gap on points?

• North Carolina Woodworker
    6 years ago

I am looking for GIL 1580 G also. If anyone has a digital copy can I get a copy from you. Thanks in advance. northcarolinawoodworker@gmail.com

• wsnead56
    6 years ago

I am looking for parts and manuals for GIL 1580 G. If anyone has a digital copy can I get a copy from you. email is wsnead56@yahoo.com

• HU-484676380
    5 years ago

I am also looking for a parts manual to a 1580G. If anyone has a copy of it please e-mail it richard_chateau@yahoo.com. Thank you in advance

• HU-104277349
    5 years ago

Please Somebody, where repair manual download/.

• ssewalk1
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Check out the Rusty Tiller Site or call 1-888-384-9939 for your repair manual requirements .

• Susan Masch
    last year

I'm looking for an air filter/cleaner for Montgomery wards rototiller

model GIL 1580G

It sits on top and there's a 1 1/4 hole it goes on..

Trying to find a part # or where I can get it, it's the metal thing, I'm trying to track it down for my grandson..thank you

Smmasch@gmail.com

• HU-273790427
    last year

I need a throttle spring for a 1580 G, I've googled but none of the parts stores that I've found have anything on this model. Any ideas?

• HU-13426159
    last year

I noticed that there are quite a few people asking for an scanned version of the manual for a Gil 1580G. Did anyone have any luck and if you did can you send it to me. thanks!