Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snappy1_gw

Best chainsaw?

snappy1
14 years ago

I need to find out who has the best chainsaw for 500-550 dollars? I either want to buy a husqvarna or a stihl. Which has the most quality, and bang for the buck?

Comments (10)

• ladylake
    14 years ago

Stihl MS361 MS260
    Husky 357xp or 359

• masiman
    14 years ago

It depends on what you want to cut. Bigger wood is better with a bigger saw, maneuvering around smaller wood will be a little easier with a smaller lighter saw. If you have to have Stihl or Husky then ladylake has a good list. I would also add the Husky 346xp. Husky's equivalent MS260.

Which is better is alot of personal opinion. Get the one you like and with the dealer that you like. I'm guessing you'll need support after the sale, so a dealer would be some thing you should look for.

• rosepicker
    14 years ago

what are you looking to use it for? i have one i will sell you for cheap.

• snappy1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It will be used to do a bunch of things such as reclaim roads of downed trees.(pine) Cut our huge family's christmas trees, and cut 8 cords of almond and oak a year for our family's fireplaces. Not an obscene amount, but I believe you get what you pay for, and it is going to be a present, so it has to be new, and quality.(don't want him to complain!) lol. Thanks

• canguy
    14 years ago

You definitely are on the right track, an entry level home owner unit will not do what you will ask of it. Ladylake has some excellent suggestions, others to look at would be Dolmar, Jonsered (basically a red Husqvarna)Shindaiwa, or Echo. The most important thing is a well stocked dealer who will look after it after the sale regardless of brand.

• snappy1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you guys very much! I will now locate a good dealer.

• zen_man
    14 years ago

snappy1,

Just a caution -- a big box store doesn't count as a good dealer in my opinion. One reason I selected Stihl is they don't sell chainsaws online, while Husqvarna does. It kind of scares me that a kid could wind up with a chainsaw that way.

Stihl dealers are reasonably knowledgeable about chainsaws, but I have seen big box stores selling a chainsaw to someone who has never used a chainsaw and, incidentally, the salesman hadn't used one either. Blind leading the blind...

My Stihl dealer spent nearly two hours counseling me on my selection of a model and bar length, proper ways to start the saw, how to use the saw safely, how to adjust the bar oiling rate for different woods, and how to maintain the saw, including how to sharpen the chain.

Incidentally, I selected a Stihl MS361 (that was back when it first came out several years ago) with a 16-inch bar and their standard "green" chain. It cuts very fast despite the green chain. It would be scary fast with a more aggressive chain. I also got chainsaw chaps and a Stihl helmet with ear protectors and a full face screen. The screen wire has the advantage of not fogging up in cold weather, it's unbreakable, and since the screenwire is black, you don't notice it. I really like that helmet and I also wear it while I am using my MacKissic 12PT9 shredder chipper.

ZM

• canguy
    14 years ago

I am glad you had such a good experience with that dealer, we need more like him.

• Steven Jackson
    8 years ago

i suggest use husqvarna.you can read review on this site :

http://chainsawguides.com/

• romore_gw
    8 years ago

This thread is over 6 years old, he has likely made his decision.