Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilydude

Craftsman tillers old and new

lilydude
15 years ago

I bought a Craftsman front-tine tiller with a 3HP Briggs and Stratton engine around 18 years ago, and it has given me wonderful service. Recently it started stalling out when it got hot. I had work that needed to be done right away, so I bought the latest Craftsman front-tiner, a model 29901. When I got it home, I took a close look at the engine, which is designed by LCT in the USA, but made in China. I found that the hardware on the engine controls was heavily rusted. The weld between the exhaust manifold and the support bracket was very poor quality, with blobs of metal spattered all around it. There was a lot of axle grease on the outside of the chain housing. I brought the tiller back the next day. I have trusted the Craftsman brand for 40 years. I don't believe this tiller deserves to have the Craftsman label. Luckily, my neighbor fixed my old tiller by running some fuel preservative through it. When my old tiller finally croaks, I guess I'll go spend the big bucks on a Honda or Merry Tiller. I can't stand to own junk.

Here are some pictures of the new tiller.

{{gwi:314016}}

{{gwi:314017}}

Comments (8)

• canguy
    15 years ago

That is typical for the el cheapo engines coming from China.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

you will find the same thing on most every boxstore unit. they demand cheap price, so they get cheap quality. my FIL has an old 36" walkbehind tiller (i don't know who made it no sticers left) that has to be pushing 40 years and he uses it all the time. regualr routine maintenace is all it has ever had. todays low-low/mid level priced machines will usually be lucky to get 10 years if WELL maintained and probably less than 5 if not maintained to spec.

i know folks who toss out weedeaters and push mowers eveyr year cause they won't start come spring. 95% of the time it is nothing more than they have bad gas.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i was adding to the above to say tha tif the current users out there cannot maintain a unit well enough to last beyond 1 season, how can we expect even top of the line stuff to last as long as the older stuff did. years ago folks took better care of things, now society has a throw away mentality. and that goes for users up to manufacturers.

• gregd
    15 years ago

Maintenance is surely important, but when you see what you're starting with in the pics above, all the tender loving care in the world won't make that garbage last.

• rustyj14
    15 years ago

I've had 3 Craftsman rear tine tillers in for repairs, with bad transmissions. Two went to the junk heap, and one i managed to fix it, with no guarantee on longevity!

• yungman
    15 years ago

You get what you pay!!! Read my other post in respond to this.

For LCOs, it would be crazy to get a Craftsman!!! For weekend warrior like me. It sure better than paying over a hundred to rent a tiller each time unless you slave yourself to death to finish in one day and the transportation of a few hundred pounds. For $299, I use it to till my yard 3 times already.
    As home owner, how often you really use it? After the first time, it is more important to have a Mantis than a good tiller. I have to Poulan front tine( same as Craftsman) to break the ground. I have been using the Mantis mostly. I use the Poulan to till mainly to keep it alive!!! Can't let it sit for years. It don't make sense for home owner to pay double to get a rear tine or more for a high quality. You get what you paid, and you only pay when necessary. Get a cheap front tine and a Mantis, this would be a more sensable way if you are a home owner.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

i have a rear tine Craftsman, as well as a 24" tractor mounted Snapper tiller. i use them for my home garden and to bust up areas of my lawn for smoothing out/seeding. a buddy of mine borrowed the 14" RT Craftsman and tilled his entire 3 acre property several times with it. he tied the handle down and let it go, as it would walk a straight line on it's own. try that with a FT tiller!

i know many home owners who buy and use RT tillers. and tiller rental here is only about 35.00 a day, but it is so much nicer to be able to walk outside and decide to till than to have to go thru the hassle of renting/hauling/using/hauling back.

• yungman
    15 years ago

If you have a 2+ acre, I'll keep quiet!!! I cannot even imagin 1/2 acre lot in my area!!! It would be multi millions!!! You can get copal tunnel on your wrisk using a front tine to break the ground!!! retilling a year later is easy.

Isn't it true for home owner, they need to till the yard to plant stuff or grass. After planting, you almost cannot use a tiller anymore particular rear tine that don't manuever between plants. In fact even the front tine tiller is not that useful. I would pay cheap for a front tine and use the money saved to get a Mantis.

Of cause, if someone don't plant anything, just want to till the ground every year to get rid of weeds only, then a big tiller is useful. That was what I was doing the first year because we had not decided what to plant. But still after the first time, it is very easy to till even a year later, a front tine can even glide through. Now that I have planted fruit trees, I mainly using my Mantis. I just barely using the front tine to keep it alive just in case I move to a new house in the future.