Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klem1

Catching chipper/shredder chips

klem1
10 years ago

I would like to hear how you capture leaves and chips. Even if I blow into a hardware cloth inclosure on a concrete pad, a lot winds up on the lawn where it's difficult to pick up. I also run a lot of cardboard and paper through the shredder which realy can make a mess. I have tools and willing to mash fingers and skin knuckles so fabricating is possiable.

Comments (7)

• chas045
    10 years ago

I Always set my chipper where I want my pile to be, but I suppose you could use a big tarp on the ground instead.

• happytomato2008
    10 years ago

I have used a gunny sack- plastic type and a one cloth type for (MTD 8 HP). Tied it securely around the shute end and it 'bagged' for me. Had to watch closely so it didn't fill completely up.

• etrsi_645
    10 years ago

To clean up what ends up on the ground, I use a hand dethatching rake; it works wonders and gives me more thatch to compost too!

• mla2ofus
    10 years ago

Build wood frames from 2x2 wood. Make 2 about 30" tall x 6' long. Make another 30" tall x 3' long. buy enough sunscreen to cover all three plus enough to cover the top opening. Screw the sunscreen to the inside of each frame separately, then bolt or screw the 3 frames together. Cut the top sunscreen so you can hook it on small finish nails on the outside of the frames to hold it on. Use it on a concrete surface or a 4x8 sheet of OSB(chipboard). Aim the chipper discharge w/o the deflector in the open end and start chipping. When not in use you can disassemble it for easy storage.
    HTH,
    Mike

• robertz6
    10 years ago

I used a little chipper/shredder once that came with a loose-woven bag for the discharge material. It was a coin toss as to whether it was worth using. Really needed to be larger, as well as needing a frame to hold it open better.

Can't recall if it was a Sears Craftsman or a 4 hp older Troy-bilt.

A large tarp might be the best quick way to go. Minimize raking.

• robertz6
    10 years ago

I used a little chipper/shredder once that came with a loose-woven bag for the discharge material. It was a coin toss as to whether it was worth using. Really needed to be larger, as well as needing a frame to hold it open better.

Can't recall if it was a Sears Craftsman or a 4 hp older Troy-bilt.

A large tarp might be the best quick way to go. Minimize raking.

• zen_man
    10 years ago

I just lay a tarp on the ground, roll my shredder/chipper onto the tarp, and do the shredding and chipping.

Then I roll the machine off of the tarp, and lift up the corners of the tarp to "herd" the chips to the center of the tarp, and shovel the chips from that pile into a Home Depot 5-gallon orange bucket for transport to where I want them (a garden path, compost pile, or whatever).

It takes several loads of the 5-gallon bucket to move all of the shredded/chipped material. A special receiver bag is available for my machine, but I never saw the need to buy it.

ZM