Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
voicelit

repair or buy ? fs45 v. echo 210 ?

voicelit
15 years ago

Can't start my Stihl FS45 trimmer. Have run through anumber of the suggested fixes. Took out and cleaned the spark plug, seemed fine - but then what do I know. Have had it about 3 years doing my 1/3 acre, lots of weeds. Never changed the filter, think I let the gas get old.

I get the impression from these forums that dirty filter, old gas leads to pretty extensive repairs ? Question : Whadda you think : price of repair versus just buy a new one ? Also weeds are getting taller as I type.

Question, interrogative : the fs45 (curved shaft ) has -like- a 27 cc engine; the Echoe 210 , a 21cc ? What difference? The FS 45 takes only .080 string; the ECHOE much higher, thicker ? I found with my FS 45 that I'm always changing the string; lots of stones and walls to hit.

Any help...... greatly appreciated,

Marty

Comments (10)

• canguy
    15 years ago

The FS45 is a good trimmer if properly maintained but as you suggested, the cost of a tune up might be too close to the price of a new one to make it worthwhile. The SRM210, although a smaller engine, still has decent power. I am very satisfied with my GT2000 which has an older version of the 210's engine.
    The line will last longer if you allow the tip to do the cutting. Move in just close enough to the obstacle to clear the grass, don't try to force the issue by crowding the head.

• den69rs96
    15 years ago

well before you go out and plunk down a few hundred on a new trimmer, replace the fuel filter and put in so good gas. Also inspect the air filter. Check the condition of the fuel lines. They could be cracked. Most stores will sell you a fuel filter and a few feet of fuel line for less than $15. If that doesn't help, take the carb apart and clean it with carb cleaner. Most of the time if you take the side covers off the carb and spray the inside of the carb with carb cleaner you can solve your problem and still reuse the gaskets. I think repairs will be much cheaper than a new trimmer

• yungman
    15 years ago

Try the suggestion of starting. If you give up, maybe should consider buying the same FS45 and keep the old one for spare parts. Use Stabil to keep gas good longer in the future.

• metal
    13 years ago

If you use the Stihl 2 cycle oil I believe it already has stabilizer in it. It is all I have ever used and have had no issues whatsoever.

• bill7
    13 years ago

"If you use the Stihl 2 cycle oil I believe it already has stabilizer in it. It is all I have ever used and have had no issues whatsoever."

Same here. Of course now that I said that...

• masiman
    13 years ago

Stihl Oil PR release

The question often raised regarding stabilizers in oil is how much and how effective is it. If you are supposed to add 1oz (30ml)/2.5 gal (9463.5ml), that would be 12ml/gallon. Since a 50:1 fuel oil ratio means that you add 2.6oz (76.9ml) of oil to each gallon. If 12ml of that 76.9ml is stabilizer, that gives you a ~58:1 fuel/oil ratio. I just don't think they put that much stabilizer in their oil. I think they put some but not enough for long term storage.

I have used Stihl Oil in the past and was very happy with it. My volumes went up enough that I started using a more specialized oil that I can get by the gallon for less than what the Stihl single . I don't think the oil I use has stabilizers. It is not an issue for because I add stabilizers if I know the fuel is going to sit for awhile. I use stabilizers once or twice a year.

• yungman
    13 years ago

I don't think you can look at it as volume. Because you have to take into consideration of the concentration. If Stabil is 10% solution mix in petrol base, then you really talking about 1/10 oz for one gallon.

But anyway, I agree with the principle you have that put in your own stabilizer. I use Amsoil that have no stabilizer, so it is a must for me to add Stabil. With the alcohol in gas, I use the Blue Stabil that keep gas good for supposingly one year. And if adding extra, can last longer.

• masiman
    13 years ago

I agree about the concentrations. I just wonder if there is something more concentrated. In all the discussions I have read no one has mentioned that there is a higher concentration type stabilizer.

• gorper99
    13 years ago

Original question was not about oil?

• yungman
    13 years ago

My logic is if it is more contrated, it can be hard to measure such a small amount.....eg. 1/10 oz portion.

OK, I'll drop the Stabil issue!!!