Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoulas

Husqvarna is really a Poulan????

zoulas
14 years ago

I have been reading this in many threads on this site regarding the chainsaws specifically. When I was at Lowes yesterday, they had four Husky's on display ranging from $250-$450. I looked at the decal on the side and they all said 'Made in Sweden.' Are some people circulating bad information on this site?

Comments (18)

• canguy
    14 years ago

Husqvarna is now the largest manufacturer of lawn, garden, and forestry equipment in the world. The parent company, Electrolux AB, spun off all their outdoor power equipment lines under the Husky umbrella. They include Poulan/Weedeater, AYP, McCulloch, RedMax and others.
    BTW, MTD is no longer handling McCulloch in North America, Husqvarna bought the division and now owns it world wide. We are still buying parts for pre 2008 Mac product from MTD but the supply is starting to dry up.

• ladylake
    14 years ago

I believe the 1 series Husky are the same as a Poulan. Steve

• canguy
    14 years ago

That is correct

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

zoulas, The husqvarna saws at Lowe's do nmot say made in Sweden. They have a badge that states the company name. If you keep looking there is a sticker that says....assembled in USA. AKA....Poulan plant

• masiman
    14 years ago

They have a badge that states the company name. If you keep looking there is a sticker that says....assembled in USA. AKA....Poulan plant

...From cheaper parts they contracted from wherever

• zoulas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Made In Sweden. I did not read it incorrectly, I did not see it incorrectly, I did not write it incorrectly. If I have to take a picture and email it to everyone, I will.

• masiman
    14 years ago

Probably more appropriate to ask which model(s) you saw that said made/assembled in Sweden.

In any case, country of assembly is not as important as the quality of the saw although country of assembly may indicate quality level.

Are you only interested in saw provenance or are you looking for a saw?

• rdaystrom
    14 years ago

There may be some of both for sure. The saws I looked at said assembled in USA. The fact is that the Poulan plant is now the Husqvarna plant in Nashville Arkansas. In fact the address is: Husqvarna Outdoor Products, 1 Poulan Drive, Nashville, AR 71852

• lawnslayer63
    14 years ago

So now my Poulan "wild thing" that never ever ran very good is now a Husqvarna "wild thing"? Just doesn't have the same zing to it, does it?

• canguy
    14 years ago

Home Depot is carrying the 345 and 350 models which are made in Sweden. They are very decent home owner saws. The 142 (which IMHO is overweight and cranky like my wife) at HD is a re badged Poulan

• Hank Goede
    6 years ago

Since the comments here are pretty old, I'll start anew here. I bought a Husqvarna 450 this month on-line. After reading this blog, I checked the box and sure enough the 450 was made in the USA, not Sweden. The 450 is supposed to be a 2-stroke, easy start, but it never did, not even 1 stroke - it was dead on arrival and still is. In my opinion - a piece of cr*p.

• Michael Mike
    6 years ago

Since he resurrected this thread I'll stop to to let him know every single manufacturer occasionally let's out an item that has issues, it's called human error.. this even happens in the food industry that's overseen by the USDA.

Most likely you need to tune the carb since that's the most common issue with any new gas powered tool, there's a slim chance that the carb is toast from the factory as well and needs a rebuild kit due to improper assembly..

I own every carb tool needed since it's something you need to do every one to two years, you'll need it more often if you run ethanol and crap oil.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    1. Absolutely Mike ! Majority of Brand bashers do not or cannot comprehend the term, Preventative Maintainance !
  • mario_lemieux_jr
    6 years ago

While i do agree with "preventative maintenance" (and i take exceptionally good care of all my power tools), my Husky 435 (purchased at Lowe's) lasted _five_ days before it stopped running. I don't believe you should have to do tune-ups and other maintenance after five days. To be fair, I have a Husky BT350 that has worked like a champ for more than two years under heavy usage.

• ssewalk1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Mario , agree Poulan are very unreliable by nature .

• HU-115768864132
    5 years ago

Have a Poulan rotary hoe with maybe 5 hrs use. The tranny failed. A bushing failed because there was no way it was being lubricated. This was engineered to fail. Drilled the shaft and added a grease fitting. Days work. Poulan saw failed because carb diaphragm doesn't withstand alcohol . No warranty. New kit withstands alcohol. The anti vibe broke but had to buy the whole kit when only one spring was needed. Cost $35. Now working on a 435 husky. Am convinced this saw will never run properly. Put on new carb but won't adjust properly. The saw is pretty well new. Best to stay away from anything Poulan.

• HU-636301348
    2 years ago

don't know if ya'll will believe this, but I have a husky 55. I bought new about 22-25 years ago. been in the shop once after using for about 8 years because the the idle was off. Stihl might compare to husky quailty but no one else can. i wouldn't be afraid to buy either brand, husky or stihl. I'd stay away from either brands "home owner" saws. these "home owner" saws are not produced to the same exacting standers or with the same quailty parts ie rings, piston heads, cylinder walls ect as the their semi pro saws are. well thats my two cents. ps. I'm still using the husky 55. it's not made any longer. the husky 455 fills the niche of the old 55s like i have. Not sure but I believe the 455 can be bought with an eighteen inch bar for under $500.00 ouch! I know. but the old adage "you get what you pay for applies to chainsaws too.