Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftsman Chain Saw fuel line problem

Posted by ray101 08854 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 9:43

I have a craftsman chain saw model 358.354830 that had a broken fuel line (very brittle) so i started taking it apart to replace it. I took the fuel filter & hose out of the tank and then i got side tracked. A couple of weeks later i got back to it. While looking at the fuel tank i see 2 holes and i only remember 1. I know that one is for the fuel line but i cant see what the 2nd one is for or where it might go. thanks for any help, Ray

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftsman Chain Saw fuel line problem

• Posted by canguy British Columbia (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 2, 08 at 13:10

The other one is for the primer return line from the carburetor

o

thanks for reply, the only hose barb on carb is for the fuel line supply, I do not see a primer on this saw but yes I agree that would make sense why there are 2 holes in the tank. I'll look at the saw closer for primer button/etc. when I get home later today. thanks Ray

o

took me awhile to get back to you all, hard drive craped out. OK , I got to this unit and I still don't see where this other hole from the gas tank would hook up to . there is no primer button on this unit that i can see. I have worked on some other saws and never ran into this before. Is it possable there was a plug or something in the other hole ? any more help ? thanks Ray

o

The second hole is for the vent line to the tank. There should be a duckbill and connector in the tank on the end of this line.

o

Okay what is a duckbill ? is it that little plastic peice with barbs on both ends (apx 1/2" to 3/4" long) & where does the vent side go thats on the outside of the tank ? Ray

o

The duckbill is a rubber check valve that allows air in the tank but does not let fuel out. The barbed piece is a connector..insert the line through the tank, put the barbed fitting in it, put the duckbill on the end of the barbed connector- pull the line so that the connector comes to the top of the tank. The line outside the tank should be about 6" long and just lays on top of the tank.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here