Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tool shed skirting..need it??

Posted by dooley Alberta,Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 20, 12 at 10:41

Moved a tool/storage shed in and it's blocked up. Side towards house has about 3" gap. Doesn't look bad. Other side is about 8-12".Not heated.

Have squirrels and mice in abundance so I'm thinking that rather than skirt it , making a nice sheltered area for the rodents to take up residence , I'd leave it exposed so the cold winter air would discourage taking up residency underneath.

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tool shed skirting..need it??

Years ago, i built a nice shed to keep my lawn tractor in. After some years had passed, some ground-hogs found the underside to be a good place to dig their new home! Alas and alack, those big rats ate the floor out of the shed, and piled up their diggings inside it! and, they are still there.
Also, in my dirt floored garage out back, they dug the dirt floor out, and ate some of the wooden walls, and spread the dirt all around my lawn mowers and other stuff! Piled it up 2 ft. high. And, tunneled all around the inner walls. I found one hole, so i shoved an eight foot 2x4 into the tunnel and filled in around it! There is only one foot of board sticking out of the filled-in tunnel. No digging there.

o

The more you enclose the base, the more welcoming it will become to critters. Leave the base open so they won't have corners to nestle into or to feel protected from local predators (even if that's just your outside or barn cat).

Best Wishes--Carl Atlanta GA (ex. Western NY where it's really cold)

o

• Posted by exmar 6 SE Ohio (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 30, 12 at 20:55

The kritters are going to move in whatever you do, skirting may well be a "WELCOME" sign to the field mice. Depending on what your shed is made of, skirting may be a moisture trap leading to wood deterioration. Absence of skirting would allow air to circulate more freely.

Good luck,

Ev

o

• Posted by dooley Alberta,Canada (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 31, 12 at 9:03

Txs for the feed back. Not going to skirt it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here