Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvron

TB 144 cultivator/tiller 4 cycle starting issues

mvron
9 years ago

I have acquired a new TB 144 4 stroke cultivator/tiller that has been sitting around for 10 years of so. I have replaced the carb, fuel lines, removed the muffler and checked the arrester screen and replaced the spark plug. There is some rust in and around the muffler. It's almost impossible to start - but once it does, it runs perfectly. I was wondering if there is a trick to starting this unit. I followed the instrs in the owners manual. It primes OK when trying to start. Starting fluid seems to have no impact on the starting process. I have removed the air filter - it's clean but I'm leaving it out during this process. Ideas?

Comments (8)

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

1. Ck the compression, can you hold it in with your thumb? Ck the fire under a load with in-line tester, or do you see a good blue spark? CarbâÂÂsettings = what?
    2. âÂÂIt's almost impossible to start - but once it does, it runs perfectlyâÂÂ. Good Pep and Power??
    3. Could 10 yr sitting have affected the fire/fuel/compression and just needs good hard workouts???
    4. Was it stored inside? Any history on how it started and ran in the past??

• mvron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No history but I just checked for spark - nothing. The compressiion is good. I think I'm done. I'm not sure if I want to proceed any further with the ignition. It's too bad because I don't think it's ever been used..

• mvron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ideas on how to get to the ignition system.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

DonâÂÂt Give Up, Never Give Up! Find the Problem And Then Give Up! LOL. That is the fun in troubleshooting.

1. CK the kill switch to know it's not grounding out the spark . Simply unplug the switch if it will or disconnect it.
    2. The electronic module is usually next to the flywheel just under the main top cover over the flywheel.
    3. Ck for rust on the flywheelâÂÂs magnet which strength should hold a ýâ short socket.
    4. Ck the air gap between module and flywheel with an index card thickness Approx .010" (I Think), close w/o touching.
    5. Remember, if it rums, Give Up! Give it to a good gardener to make their day.

Good luck and âÂÂPlease Share your ResultsâÂÂ.

• mvron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Any ideas on how to get the cover(s) apart? Thanks for ideas loger.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

The link below is the best I will be able to do. I am not a personal owner but feel I could get the task done from past experiences. Without related past experiences I feel the diagrams at the address below should assist you or find a youtube that will assist you. OR! Pass the project on to a Local (and watch), someone that has the experience/time. Stay with what you feel you can handle or would like to research. I only have time for a few tips vs research. âÂÂI Give Upâ and challenge myself to pass on some interest vs needs due to âÂÂNeeded Down TimeâÂÂ. TX Heat Allows Too Much Down Time On This Tube!

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/troybilt-21ba144r966-tb144-2009-cultivator-parts-c-26780_27175_184080.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Help!

• mvron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I checked for spark by holding the spark plug with boot against the metal on the engine. No spark. I then decided - for better or worse to put a metal probe in the spark plug cap and hold it with my hand. I felt a buzz when pulling the starter rope - some charge must be getting through the spark plug - maybe not enough to generate a spark. I turned the start switch to off and did the same thing as above - no buzz. Turned to switch to "on" and got the buzz again. So I primed the engine and after about 25 pulls(as per the start instrs in the owners manual), it started and ran good. Maybe the spark is too weak? Could that be? I have taken the 4 screws off of the red cover but haven't tried to remove the cover yet. It dosen't exactally fall off after the 4 screws removal.

• loger_gw
    9 years ago

IMO, it would not run good if you have a weak spark. You might have an intermitting spark due to a loose or broken connection. Get to the module that the plug wire is coming from. Use an ohmmeter to see if you maintain continuity from extreme ends of the wire. Move the wireâÂÂs position vs module looking for a deflection dictating a break or loose connection.

Please send a good close picture of the modules spacing from the flywheel with a piece of index card in the gap between them if possible (with a little of the magnet showing). I doubt the module has moved (but who knows), plus the magnetâÂÂs surface condition should show as clean.

The Finds Can Be Fun! Since 1960 I have not been A Man to want to feel a spark âÂÂNot OnceâÂÂ. LOL Plus, If I had Your Patience I would be a better man.