Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Echo weedeater starts, but stalls when pickup up

Posted by pete8314 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 11:41

I've got an Echo weed eater with interchangeable tools. It's only a year old (and if I could find the receipt I'd take it in under warranty), but it's acting up.

The 'gas bubble' never seems to fill up completely, no matter how many times I squeeze it. However, it does start, and if I pick it up carefully, it will run. However, when I rotate it slightly, it starts to run rough, and will stall out very quickly, if I don't return it to level.

I assume it's not a gas problem, as it does run (the gas is fairly fresh, but not new). It's used every other weekend, so it's certainly not worn out, and I doubt anything is blocked. I've checked the air filter which was completely clean.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Echo weedeater starts, but stalls when pickup up

Apparently your priming circuit has been compromised . Check all hoses for tight fit other wise cleaning of the circuit may be the secondary consideration . If ethanol fuel has been used gradual gumming of the carb can cause this slow progression . Normally the Priming circuit (smaller) is 1st affected , then rough running or a slight miss at higher rpm follows as the ethanol further restricts the fuel flow. Try a concentrated fuel cleaner of your choice .Usually a tank or less may resolve your problems. Otherwise the carb may well require removal and the diaphram inspected for small tears or crack and needles removed and cleaned further as a worst case scenerio .

o

I would return it soon and let their computer, model # or etc show it's still in warranty. If it came from Home Depot, I have never had a problem with these close matters. At one point they had a Satisfaction Guaranteed sign by the return, If any problems or doubts I would look up at the sign and ask, "what does that means"? If needed I would ask to speak to a manager and within reasons they have honored the returns. One example, I feel they knew the product had a problem and I was told over the phone they would only take certain models back w/o them telling me the # (requested). When I returned the product, the manager told me to get another w/o ever looking at the old's #. Keeping A Customer Means A lot! loger

PS. Ethanol is a killer

o

The primer bulb having some air in it is not a problem. It may be as simple as adjusting the idle up a bit. My handhelds idle differently when turned at different directions also but I can get them to idle without clutch engagement or stalling.

I wouldn't think the carb is shot after just 1 year.

o

weedcutter: A primer bulb with more air than fuel indicates air intrainment or restriction within the primer circuit. I have seen care become (shot) within less than a few mths when ethanol fuel was used without proper fuel treatment . Some of the better manufacturers have gone the route of better fuel lines and carb sealibility , other use older technology and ethanol eats them up quick .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here