Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should Echo’s Hard trimmer blades # 69601552632 have sharpen edge

Posted by loger (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 7, 10 at 12:21

Should Echo’s Hard trimmer blades # 69601552632 have sharpen edges? If not, am I expected to sharpen about an inch on both ends? I have seen some brands sharpened from the factory and feel they would do a better job edging. Thanks, Loger

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should Echo’s Hard trimmer blades # 69601552632 have sharpen

Stands to reason a sharp blade will cut better than a dull one. Make sure it is balanced.

o

Any opinions as to why the blade is not sharpened and balanced in the factory before tempering? I put about a 45 deg edge 1" long on the ends of the blade. I feel the use of the blade will fine tune the balancing and take the fine ground edge off the blade. Tomorrow!! Loger

o
RE: Should Echo�s Hard trimmer blades # 69601552632 have sharpe

Are you talking for a stick edger? No they are not sharpened. They do cut grass, yes, but they are made to dig into soil too.

o

Top Shelf Units have a Manufacturers precision grind . Some Middle of the road units do not . usually a indication of their cutting application . Weed wacker and small brushing only . The Better Quality Units have a Serrated almost Skil Saw Utility Style Cutting Edge . These units can and will cut 1' to 1-1/2" Maple Saplings ..etc. The blade you have can be hand sharpened as you have indicated , the sharpness as with lawnmower blades does not have to be scalpel sharp just around butter knife will suffice . I have found that to acute a angle and the abrasives dull mower blades quicker when they are overly sharp . Your Trimmer Blade sharpening style will be fine using common sense not to be overly aggressive on the metal removal . Just be careful with the kickback with a newly sharpened cutter loger !

o
RE: Should Echo’s Hard trimmer blades in General Sharpness

Top Shelf Units have a Manufacturers precision grind . Some Middle of the road units do not . usually a indication of their cutting application . Weed wacker and small brushing only . The Better Quality Units have a Serrated almost Skil Saw Utility Style Cutting Edge . These units can and will cut 1' to 1-1/2" Maple Saplings ..etc. The blade you have can be hand sharpened as you have indicated , the sharpness as with lawnmower blades does not have to be scalpel sharp just around butter knife will suffice . I have found that to acute a angle and the abrasives dull mower blades quicker when they are overly sharp . Your Trimmer Blade sharpening style will be fine using common sense not to be overly aggressive on the metal removal . Just be careful with the kickback with a newly sharpened cutter loger !

o
RE: Should Echo’s Hard trimmer blades tuning.

Sorry for the duplication the system temporarily locked up , I was going to add an addendum , Yes Loger Blades are Balanced at the Manufacturing stage . However like Outboard Props a Good Prop repair technician will tell you that 75% of all new props could be better balanced , which good technicians do as tuning for better thrust .

o

Good Point m1shmosh! My application is related to Echo’s Power Edger Attachment Model # 99944200460 (in attached manual), which is edging next to concrete mainly. My old blades shows that they sharpen themselves at the 2" ends from cutting into the dirt. Plus, touching concrete occasionally due to the angle I edge at (about a 45 vs 90 deg to flat ground ) allows less edging but slower work. Thanks To All! Loger

http://www.echo-usa.com/pdf/documentation/99944200460es_090402.pdf

o

The Green Machine & Echo's Hard Blade Attachment did a very good job today. Basically as fast as I could walk backwards which was the best controlling position. I was not using the wheel and guide on the concrete. The 45 deg taper looked cleaned with the sharpen blade. The non-sharpen end was basically sharpened in one use. Plus, I used some blade for a one time use!! The red hose on the accelerator handle reduces the acceleration. I’ll refine it with a shorter piece of hose tomorrow or soon. Loger

Links to my machine:

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/TheGreenMachineEchosHardBladeAttachment4.jpg?t=1281403407

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/TheGreenMachineEchosHardBladeAttachment.jpg?t=1281403407

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/TheGreenMachineEchosHardBladeAttachment1.jpg?t=1281403407

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af312/JOW_06/TheGreenMachineEchosHardBladeAttachment2.jpg?t=1281403407

o

Do not edge with a trimmer loger so your on your own there lol . As far as the blades for edging they sound similar to the cheaper trimmer / brushing blades . I would get the wheel attachment jig for Safety reasons , since you sound like a Novice at edging. Better Safe than Sorry !

o

Ewalk, Did you look at the links? What is the safety issue? Loger

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here