Return to the Tool Shed Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homelite Trimmer problems

Posted by njs WI (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 29, 10 at 13:19

Im having a strange problem with my Homelite Trimmer. It is several years old but always started and ran pretty well.

I went to use it yesterday after not having used it in about 6 weeks and found that it started easy as usual and then ran normally when I moved the choke to from #1 to #2 to #3 position. However after about 7 or 8 seconds of cutting it died abruptly just as if I hit the kill switch. It restarts easily if I choke it again but it dies after 7 or 8 seconds in position #3.

I must have repeated this 15 times thinking maybe something was gummed up from sitting 6 weeks and it would clear itself (even though it always sits all winter and starts and runs fine in the spring). But it just keeps doing the same thing.

The thing that seems so strange to me is that it runs really well but then dies so abruptly without sputtering or anything.

Also, the 7-8 seconds of run time is the same whether I am running full throttle or just letting it idle.

Finally, I also found that if I play with the choke and quickly move it to #2 position for a second or so just when it is dying and then move it back to #3 I can keep it running, if that is a clue.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homelite Trimmer problems

The clue is the Choke usage , gas starvation appears to be occurring . What is causing it could be a fouled fuel filter or as you indicated gumming (debris) with the internal circuits of the carb . Check and if restricted replace the fuel filter . Then try the KISS Concentrated carb cleaner within the fresh fuel . Spray some carb cleaner within the carb throat also prior to attempting to start the unit . Keep it running as long as possible with choke if required. If you make past the 7-8 second mark lol back off the choke and slowly increase the rpm . If this does not cure the symptom you shall have to remove the jets and spray cleaner internally along with compressed air .

o
RE: Homelite Trimmer problems

• Posted by njs (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 5, 10 at 13:09

The gasket between the carburetor and heat dam was slightly cracked. Apparently it was sucking a little air and would run until the mixture got too lean and would cut out. I'm still surprised how it behaved but I replaced the gasket and the Trimmer runs like a charm again...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tool Shed Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here